Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary, the hardest ........Jalal why so?

Calgary, the hardest ........Jalal why so?

Old Mar 17th 2002, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

msms is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calgary, the hardest ........Jalal why so?

Jalal,
I liked your answer. I am new to this board, My PR application has to go miles....however I plan to go to Calgary, as i am a Petroleum engineer with tons of experience.

Jalal, I will appreciate if you could please expand on your statement... Calgary, the hardest working city in Canada...why so?

Thanks in advance
regards
Old Mar 18th 2002, 2:05 am
Jalal Kureshi

Default Re: Calgary, the hardest ........Jalal why so?

Hello, First of all I wish you the best of luck and hope the PR application process
goes by quick and smooth. Personally, the only drawback with Calgary is its
geographical location in North America. To the east, there is
Sask.Province......nothing to see there as it is all flat...on a clear night you
might see Toronto with a pair of powerful binoculars. To the west there are the Rocky
Mountains.....there are only so many times that you can go there before you get used
to them.... To the north there is Edmonton......again there are only so many times
you can visit the west edmonton mall.....(no offence to edmonton) And to the
south....we have Montana...unless you're into cows...there is nothing there. I guess
these are the 4 main reasons why Calgary is the hardest working city in Canada,
people have no where to go and have no choice but to work.

Jokes apart, Calgary is the engine of Canada, no other city has more job
opportunities than Calgary, more and more people are coming into the city each
day...... I could direct you to a few web sites you might find useful in making you
decision to come to Calgary.
http://www.calgary-promote.com/html/...gnosis/rg_perf
ormance_economy.html http://www.businessedge.ca/advertising.html

With the economic downturn, and because of the events that took place in the past six
months, things are slow...but still faster than the rest of Canada. New residents do
find jobs in their fields (Chemical Eng, Petroleum Eng., Computer Eng.) they do
eventually get the jobs....for some it is much quicker than the others....I dont want
to give you false hopes but here is the priority given to job applicants....again
this my opinion and the output of my experience. Canadian work experience is given
priority over US or international experience.....mainly in the OIL & Gas sector. But
there are new residents who have found jobs in their 1st year in Canada. Hope you
find the links useful. regards,

Jalal

"msms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Jalal, I liked your answer. I am new to this board, My PR application has to go
    > miles....however I plan to go to Calgary, as i am a Petroleum engineer with tons of
    > experience.
    >
    > Jalal, I will appreciate if you could please expand on your statement... Calgary,
    > the hardest working city in Canada...why so?
    >
    > Thanks in advance regards
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 18th 2002, 11:05 am
Meg Lamont

Jalal,

Alberta is one on the best provinces that one can live in. My husband is an Alberta
born Canadian, and would love to live back in the Edmonton area, just for those
reason of the Mountains being so close. Alberta in general can be a difficult place
to find employment. Most of the larger companies are resourced based. If you have a
niche job, it might be difficult to do in Calgary, and it's also a pretty
large/expensive city to live in.

Apparently, you are not a nature nut, or else you would appreciate Alberta more.
There are alot of things to do in Alberta. Sorry that you find it so mundane and
geographically poorly located. We live in Eastern Ontario, Ottawa area, and I would
love to have access to the Canadian Rockies as you
do. We were married in Jasper in the Canadian Rockies, and it's the most beautiful
spot around. Not everyone needs to have development and huge cities where ever
one goes. I think you are not being fair to a city where there is plenty of
things to do in Calgary, apparently, they are not of interest to you.

Also, you have the luxury of not having to pay a provincial tax. All the other
provinces pay a PST or HST and Ontario is 8%. That goes on almost everything you
purchase in the province. Be very thankful you don't have the tax in Calgary.

I'd advise you learn more about the province you are residing in. It truly is very
beautiful and full of things to do. It is your choice to choose to work instead of
enjoying the out of doors. People should really try to enjoy Nature more than they
do. Getting back to basics instead of the busy city life is quite nice. More people
ought to try it.

Good luck,

Meg "Jalal Kureshi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello, First of all I wish you the best of luck and hope the PR application
process
    > goes by quick and smooth. Personally, the only drawback with Calgary is its
    > geographical location in North America. To the east, there is
    > Sask.Province......nothing to see
there
    > as it is all flat...on a clear night you might see Toronto with a pair of powerful
    > binoculars. To the west there are the Rocky Mountains.....there are only so many
    > times that you can go there before you get used to them.... To the north there is
    > Edmonton......again there are only so many times you can visit the west edmonton
    > mall.....(no offence to edmonton) And to the south....we have Montana...unless
    > you're into cows...there is nothing there. I guess these are the 4 main reasons why
    > Calgary is the hardest working
city
    > in Canada, people have no where to go and have no choice but to work.
    >
    > Jokes apart, Calgary is the engine of Canada, no other city has more job
    > opportunities than Calgary, more and more people are coming into the city each
    > day...... I could direct you to a few web sites you might find useful in making you
    > decision to come to Calgary.
    >
    > ormance_economy.html http://www.businessedge.ca/advertising.html
    >
    > With the economic downturn, and because of the events that took place in
the
    > past six months, things are slow...but still faster than the rest of
Canada.
    > New residents do find jobs in their fields (Chemical Eng, Petroleum Eng., Computer
    > Eng.) they do eventually get the jobs....for some it is much quicker than the
    > others....I dont want to give you false hopes but here is the priority given to job
    > applicants....again this my opinion and the
output
    > of my experience. Canadian work experience is given priority over US or
    > international experience.....mainly in the OIL & Gas sector. But there are new
    > residents who have found jobs in their 1st year in Canada. Hope you find the links
    > useful. regards,
    >
    > Jalal
    >
    > "msms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Jalal, I liked your answer. I am new to this board, My PR application has to go
    > > miles....however I plan to go to Calgary, as i am a Petroleum engineer with tons
    > > of experience.
    > >
    > > Jalal, I will appreciate if you could please expand on your statement... Calgary,
    > > the hardest working city in Canada...why so?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance regards
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Mar 18th 2002, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

msms is an unknown quantity at this point

Jalal and Meg,
Thanks for your feedbacks.

I agree that it may be tough or it may be wonderful to live in Calgary due to geological reasons, however from getting a job point of view, from your responses it does not seem that ugly . Well I worked in -20 F and in US rockies for two winters so it will not be so strange.

Well, it is still one year away.
Thanks for your time.
rgds
Old Mar 20th 2002, 12:35 am
Jalal Kureshi

Hi Meg, I cannot disagree with you. Alberta is one of the finest provinces in Canada.
I do appreciate Alberta, thats why I live here. I apologize if i offended you, but I
didnt mean to. You are right people should go out more, enjoy the outdoors and the
mountains...maybe thats what we really need and that is what is lacking from the busy
lives here.... Again, I apologize if you were offended. regards,

"Meg Lamont" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Jalal,
    >
    > Alberta is one on the best provinces that one can live in. My husband is
an
    > Alberta born Canadian, and would love to live back in the Edmonton area, just for
    > those reason of the Mountains being so close. Alberta in general can be a difficult
    > place to find employment. Most of the larger companies are resourced based. If you
    > have a niche job, it might be difficult to do
in
    > Calgary, and it's also a pretty large/expensive city to live in.
    >
    > Apparently, you are not a nature nut, or else you would appreciate Alberta more.
    > There are alot of things to do in Alberta. Sorry that you find it so mundane and
    > geographically poorly located. We live in Eastern Ontario, Ottawa area, and I would
    > love to have access to the Canadian Rockies as
you
    > do. We were married in Jasper in the Canadian Rockies, and it's the most beautiful
    > spot around. Not everyone needs to have development and huge cities where ever
    > one goes. I think you are not being fair to a city where there is plenty of
    > things to do in Calgary, apparently, they are not of interest to you.
    >
    > Also, you have the luxury of not having to pay a provincial tax. All the other
    > provinces pay a PST or HST and Ontario is 8%. That goes on almost everything you
    > purchase in the province. Be very thankful you don't have
the
    > tax in Calgary.
    >
    > I'd advise you learn more about the province you are residing in. It truly is very
    > beautiful and full of things to do. It is your choice to choose to work instead of
    > enjoying the out of doors. People should really try to
enjoy
    > Nature more than they do. Getting back to basics instead of the busy city life is
    > quite nice. More people ought to try it.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Meg "Jalal Kureshi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello, First of all I wish you the best of luck and hope the PR application
    > process
    > > goes by quick and smooth. Personally, the only drawback with Calgary is its
    > > geographical location
in
    > > North America. To the east, there is Sask.Province......nothing to see
    > there
    > > as it is all flat...on a clear night you might see Toronto with a pair
of
    > > powerful binoculars. To the west there are the Rocky Mountains.....there are only
    > > so many
times
    > > that you can go there before you get used to them.... To the north there is
    > > Edmonton......again there are only so many times
you
    > > can visit the west edmonton mall.....(no offence to edmonton) And to the
    > > south....we have Montana...unless you're into cows...there is nothing there. I
    > > guess these are the 4 main reasons why Calgary is the hardest working
    > city
    > > in Canada, people have no where to go and have no choice but to work.
    > >
    > > Jokes apart, Calgary is the engine of Canada, no other city has more job
    > > opportunities than Calgary, more and more people are coming into the
city
    > > each day...... I could direct you to a few web sites you might find useful in
    > > making
you
    > > decision to come to Calgary.
    > >
    >
    > > ormance_economy.html http://www.businessedge.ca/advertising.html
    > >
    > > With the economic downturn, and because of the events that took place in
    > the
    > > past six months, things are slow...but still faster than the rest of
    > Canada.
    > > New residents do find jobs in their fields (Chemical Eng, Petroleum
Eng.,
    > > Computer Eng.) they do eventually get the jobs....for some it is much quicker
    > > than the others....I dont want to give you false hopes but here
is
    > > the priority given to job applicants....again this my opinion and the
    > output
    > > of my experience. Canadian work experience is given priority over US or
    > > international experience.....mainly in the OIL & Gas sector. But there are new
residents
    > > who have found jobs in their 1st year in Canada. Hope you find the links useful.
    > > regards,
    > >
    > > Jalal
    > >
    > > "msms" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Jalal, I liked your answer. I am new to this board, My PR application has to go
    > > > miles....however I plan to go to Calgary, as i am a
Petroleum
    > > > engineer with tons of experience.
    > > >
    > > > Jalal, I will appreciate if you could please expand on your
statement...
    > > > Calgary, the hardest working city in Canada...why so?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks in advance regards
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    >