Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We won, We won, We won!!!!!!

We won, We won, We won!!!!!!

Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:10 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: We won, We won, We won!!!!!!

Originally Posted by squarepants
And they are good in how many of those, or on top of the world?
It's "they" is it?

Canada are good at hockey, some other winter sports I can't remember, hockey, hockey and hockey - isn't that enough?

If you're comparing Canada to any of the UK countries pre-eminence in the sporting field ... what is there apart from soccer and rugby? I don't keep track of cricket (it's sporting equivalent of Leonard Cohen), but I seem to remember that they could be beaten by your average t-ball team from the local elementary.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

P & K is an unknown quantity at this point

On your lists you mention 'football' a few times. Are you talking about football (as we in England know it) or the NFL variety? If you're talking about English football then why no mention of the NFL type (I believe you only get 2 downs in Canada?). Is the American football variety not worthy of a top ten spot? That'd be a shame cos I quite like it....

But of course not as much as football! IainK you should be a happy man this evening, LFC back doing the business in Europe....bet you were in the UK last time that was the case Still I'll be there to see you all come crashing down to earth on Monday!! Actually given our defensive performances & recent record vs Liverpool.....

Last edited by P & K; Sep 15th 2004 at 11:24 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:14 pm
squarepants

What.....after the awful 2-2 performance you lot had today? It will be business as usual on saturday against Bolton, and an extension to the record

Sorry about that Brian Clough

Originally Posted by P & K
On your lists you mention 'football' a few times. Are you talking about football (as we in England know it) or the NFL variety? If you're talking about English football then why no mention of the NFL type (I believe you only get 2 downs inCcanada?). Is the American football variety not worthy of a top ten spot? That'd be a shame cos I quite like it....

But of course not as much as football! IainK you shoyld be a happy man this evening, LFC back doing the business in Europe....bet you were in the UK last time that was the case Still I'll be there to see you all come crashing down to earth on Monday!! Actually given our defensive performances & recent record vs Liverpool.....

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Just the one Guiness Squarepants? You should make that a treble....

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:24 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
(it's sporting equivalent of Leonard Cohen)
Watch it!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:25 pm
squarepants

One step at a time son, know what I mean?

Just the one Guiness Squarepants? You should make that a treble....
:

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:43 pm
Glaswegian

On your lists you mention 'football' a few times.
I meant Canadian football, the CFL, as you pointed out American football is slightly different - different pitch size, different rules. As a spectator, there's not much to choose between them

I've got used to calling european football soccer - it isn't a big game here. I haven't ever seen a local game televised, just the european ones.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:51 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Glasgow there is only one sport FOOTIE and only two teams that are worth considering.

GLASGOW RANGERS AND THE OTHER ONES CELTIC, Who I might hasten to add were beaten by Barcelona 3,2 in the Champions League, Glaswegian I expect you will know these 2 teams, coming from this fair city.

RANGERS play Maritimo tommorow night and I hope the teddy bears hump them.

Anyway, if and when I get to Canada the first point of call will be to track down a good Rangers Club, Anyone know of any in Vancouver !!!!!!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:54 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Here in Glasgow there is only one sport FOOTIE and only two teams that are worth considering.

GLASGOW RANGERS AND THE OTHER ONES CELTIC,....
Don't you mean FITBA, or has that changed since I left?

You got the priority right on the teams ... but I thought the other team was Partick Thistle ... haven't heard of Celtic recently.

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:57 pm
squarepants

Yes.....but that other club called celtics, have won the double for the past 2 seasons now, by a land slide I must admit, am a closet celtics fan, one of our boys also went there ( hartson ), and did well

There is a massive celtics fan club in Toronto, and the GTA !

Originally Posted by Voyager970

GLASGOW RANGERS AND THE OTHER ONES CELTIC, Who I might hasten to add were beaten by Barcelona 3,2 in the Champions League, Glaswegian I expect you will know these 2 teams, coming from this fair city.

RANGERS play Maritimo tommorow night and I hope the teddy bears hump them.

Anyway, if and when I get to Canada the first point of call will be to track down a good Rangers Club, Anyone know of any in Vancouver !!!!!!

Old Sep 15th 2004, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Glaswegian, one of the big pluses for moving (if we get in!) will be the different sports to watch. Also cant wait to see my 3 yr old son try the likes of CFL, Ice Hockey, Skiing etc.
The lack of 'soccer' will be a killer, but I just find the prospect of watching my son try out all these different sports absolutely rewarding. Sure he'll love it as well..

I can just imagine sitting in a stadium, beer in hand, watching our first CFL game in 'our' new City. Whether we ultimately love it or loathe it I can't wait for the experiance. Let the adventure begin!

Last edited by P & K; Sep 16th 2004 at 12:01 am.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:17 am
Glaswegian

Thanks for that Glaswegian, one of the big pluses for moving (if we get in!) will be the different sports to watch. Also cant wait to see my 3 yr old son try the likes of CFL, Ice Hockey, Skiing etc.
The lack of 'soccer' will be a killer, but I just find the prospect of watching my son try out all these different sports absolutely rewarding. Sure he'll love it as well..

I can just imagine sitting in a stadium, beer in hand, watching our first CFL game in 'our' new City. Whether we ultimately love it or loathe it I can't wait for the experiance. Let the adventure begin!
There's lots of soccer for kids here - it's a spring sport, your son will have plenty of chances to try it. Along with t-ball. You can fulfil your own soccer needs with cable or satellite.

He's only 3 now, but get a pair of skates and a helmet on him as fast as you can - it's a good time to learn to skate - little kids have no fear and they bounce much better than older kids. Can't remember where you're going, but you can make a backyard rink good enough for a 3 year old anywhere apart from BC. Don't try the strap on double blades - they're not much use, get him a decent pair of skates, second hand is better than strap on blades.

Canadian football is for older kids.

Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Glaswegian. He's actually 4 next week but but he'll be about 16 by the time we get the nod!
You're right tho' skating and maybe skiing first..As regards the other sports, well lets face it (well it seems to me at least) there's a geater diversity of potential sports for a young child to participate and to grow into than there is in the uk.
Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:30 am
Glaswegian

Thanks Glaswegian. He's actually 4 next week but but he'll be about 16 by the time we get the nod!
You're right tho' skating and maybe skiing first..As regards the other sports, well lets face it (well it seems to me at least) there's a geater diversity of potential sports for a young child to participate and to grow into than there is in the uk.
There's a whole stack of sports kids can do here.

Calgary has Canada Olympic Park - it's a great training facility - your kids can learn to ski, snowboard, etc without leaving the city.

Where are you thinking about heading?

Old Sep 16th 2004, 12:32 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
There's lots of soccer for kids here - it's a spring sport.
Your out of the loop old chap, its all year round, alberta is one of the top 4 Provinces. http://www.albertasoccer.com/

I think you can even go to to an Alberta School, and as an option do soccer .
http://www.skyhawks.gsacrd.ab.ca/soccer/brochure.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.