Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We are on our way!!!!....Well...nearly....

We are on our way!!!!....Well...nearly....

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice
Default We are on our way!!!!....Well...nearly....

Folks,

I have reicieved an email from our Canadian Lawyers yesterday informing me that my wife & I have passed the medicals, and we need to sort out our visas!!!

Anyway, I have some questions to ask about sorting out our final months here....

1. Credit History details: I plan to rent when I arrive in Canada, but can anyone tell me if I can use my credit history built up in the UK and use this in Canada...I believe I can not do this, but just want to confirm

2. Renting: Can I sort out accomidation before I land permanately in Canada. I plan to fly over shortly and spend about 10 days looking for a place, but I don't plan to be in Canada permanately until the new year. Any advise please??

3. Medical cover: I have to arrange for temporary medical cover for the first 3 months when I arrive in Canada. Any ideas on which companies I can use for this and costs, please?

4. International Driving licence: I will apply for a Int. driving licence in the UK, but how does driving work out there. Afraid to admit this, but I am a bit nervy about this, as I have never driven abroad....would I have to take driving lessons there once I land (sorry if this is a stupid question). I am probably worrying about nothing...but just thought I'd ask....

Any advice that anyone can give on the above would be great.

Thanks again

Brian
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future
Default Re: We are on our way!!!!....Well...nearly....

Originally Posted by Jaffa0007
Folks,

I have reicieved an email from our Canadian Lawyers yesterday informing me that my wife & I have passed the medicals, and we need to sort out our visas!!!

Anyway, I have some questions to ask about sorting out our final months here....

1. Credit History details: I plan to rent when I arrive in Canada, but can anyone tell me if I can use my credit history built up in the UK and use this in Canada...I believe I can not do this, but just want to confirm

2. Renting: Can I sort out accomidation before I land permanately in Canada. I plan to fly over shortly and spend about 10 days looking for a place, but I don't plan to be in Canada permanately until the new year. Any advise please??

3. Medical cover: I have to arrange for temporary medical cover for the first 3 months when I arrive in Canada. Any ideas on which companies I can use for this and costs, please?

4. International Driving licence: I will apply for a Int. driving licence in the UK, but how does driving work out there. Afraid to admit this, but I am a bit nervy about this, as I have never driven abroad....would I have to take driving lessons there once I land (sorry if this is a stupid question). I am probably worrying about nothing...but just thought I'd ask....

Thanks again

Brian
Hello Brian,

You are right about your Credit History - it will be no use to you in Canada. It might be worth getting a copy of your Credit Report as some companies may like to use it - even though we got a mortage sorted without it.

I have no advice about question 2 or 3 but for number 4 - please don't worry about driving while your in Canada it is really easy. I took to it like a duck to water while we were over on a visit. Depending what Province you are going to, you may be able just to exchange your driving licence.

Hope this helps.

Karla x x x x
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Jaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really niceJaffa0007 is just really nice

Folks,

Thanks again

Brian
Thanks for your respsone, Karla!!!

Does anyone have any other comments to add please? I would be interested in your views on this.

Many thanks

Brian
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to sort out rent already 6 months in advance? Plenty of letting agents can be contacted on line and will put you on their MLS mailout list. Just pick the one you think works for you.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 1:38 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We took a credit report from Equifax with us - costs very little. Don't know if it made any difference really as we bought house, car cash etc in cash. We showed it to the bank plus brought over quite a bit of money with us and still had to put $5000 into a separate account for a $5000 credit limit credit card.

We did not need medical cover as OH's company agreed to waive the normal 90-day waiting period. I have heard people on here mention Blue Cross for medical insurance.

Here is a link to the different driving license requirements for all provinces. We had to re-sit our test here but it wasn't difficult. I know that you haven't driven on the 'wrong' side of the road before but as the driver also sits on the 'wrong' side of the car, then you will still have the centre line on your left-hand side. Best thing to do is study the handbook online BEFORE you drive. Incidentally, I did read on a website that an International Driver's License does not cover you long-term if you tend to stay in Canada for more than 1 year. Some province's allow a UK license swap and other's like Nova Scotia require you to sit a test.

Not sure where you are heading to but here is a website to link you to driving in different provinces.

Hope these links help you out a bit.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Thanks again

Brian
Hi Brian

I can give you some info for some of your questions:

1. Many people tell you your UK Credit history doesn'r count, and yet some say that it has - case by case I guess, but I was told that it can't do any harm to have it with you anyway, and that sounds like good advice to me, so chaeck out www.checkmyfile.co.uk and take a credit report with you.

2. Depending where you are going, you might well find short/long term rentals of apartments - many are there for exctly what you need - somewhere to stay while you look around for more permanent accom. and can be rented for a week to months if needed, and many are not as expensive as you might think - check out www.craiglist.org and also do a google search. You will probably be able to book something for your arrival date.

3. ??? No info.

4. Driving in Canada is easy. Just take it easy and slow for the first few days and you soon enough get into it - it's not nearly as difficult as you think. Get yourself a Sat Nav - this way it takes away one stress, no worries of getting lost. Also, do read up on the rules of the road, some things are a bit different - like not passing a stopped school bus - big fines!!!
Perhaps even have a driving lesson, and let them give you a few pointers and perhaps advise on what to look out for.
In some places you will be able to exchange your UK licence, and in others you have to retest - there are some useful threads - just use the search function.

Well, best of luck and welcome to the forum - enjoy reading all the good advice from those who have already done it, and those of us who are still dreaming/planning.
Rob.

Last edited by Rob4BC; Jun 20th 2007 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 2:11 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Folks,

Thanks again

Brian
Can't really help with 2 or 3 but...

1. Credit History - Canadian institutions don't seem to recognise your credit history from the UK. You won't even be on the computer they refer to to begin with and as far as most are concerned No History is the same as Bad History! It can be a problem. Who do you bank with in the UK? If its a bank that has branches (or subsidiaries) here then opening an account with them here can help. We went to the Canadian subsidiary of our UK bank in Canada and they were able to obtain a lot of information on us from the UK. That was enough for them to give us credit cards etc without having to deposit money in a special account and it seems that getting credit cards is the first step to building up credit history here (just having a bank account doesn't get you on the Credit agency computers as far as I'm aware).

4. Can't comment on all provinces but in NS you can drive on your UK license for 90 days (you don't need an International License - I don't think they would even know what that was). After 90 days you have to get a Canadian License (which involves sitting your tests again!).