Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we all just dreamers?

Are we all just dreamers?

Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are we all just dreamers?

Hi Weegie30

We were lucky in that he applied under FSW route as a vocational trainer. However that occupation has now been removed from the list of occupations in demand so if we were to try and reapply, we would struggle. What is your husband's trade? Mine is in the RLC. One route you might want to look at is the NS PNP, as if you visit a few times, you can look for nomination. It all depends on his trade as well as he may have skills in demand.

To be honest, it's put us in a real predicament as we are now faced with him having to find employment in civvy street (which is a challenge in itself, as despite his experience and quals, no one wants to employ you without "commercial" experience) plus as we have never bought a home in UK (as we never wanted to settle here) we've got to find somewhere to live. Unfortunately the army put us in Edinburgh for his last posting (asked for South of England!) and we have no family up here so we may have to consider relocating again just for him to find work for what could be 12-18 months. Not the best situation when you're life is already in turmoil and your kids don't want to move because of their friends. Hence my frustrations with CIC.

Regards

Wozzie
Old Nov 26th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woz718
Hi Weegie30

We were lucky in that he applied under FSW route as a vocational trainer. However that occupation has now been removed from the list of occupations in demand so if we were to try and reapply, we would struggle. What is your husband's trade? Mine is in the RLC. One route you might want to look at is the NS PNP, as if you visit a few times, you can look for nomination. It all depends on his trade as well as he may have skills in demand.

To be honest, it's put us in a real predicament as we are now faced with him having to find employment in civvy street (which is a challenge in itself, as despite his experience and quals, no one wants to employ you without "commercial" experience) plus as we have never bought a home in UK (as we never wanted to settle here) we've got to find somewhere to live. Unfortunately the army put us in Edinburgh for his last posting (asked for South of England!) and we have no family up here so we may have to consider relocating again just for him to find work for what could be 12-18 months. Not the best situation when you're life is already in turmoil and your kids don't want to move because of their friends. Hence my frustrations with CIC.

Regards

Wozzie
I honestly feel for you. It is this awful limbo and the ever shifting timescales that are driving many to seriously consider giving up the dream.

We were all ready to go for summer 2011. Sold the house - then the goalposts got moved and we honestly thought we couldn't stand an indefinite wait renting where we were in London (estate due to be redeveloped). My OH got made redundant, so we upped sticks and bought a house in the Borders. Huge mistake in a way as now we can't sell it, but we had many reasons at the time.

We haven't had permanent work since moving here (OH is on supply teaching - gets a few days a week if lucky; I'm on month to month p/t contract), difficult to apply for one when you might be going at any time (or never), out of money, trying desperately to preserve the settlement funds, and kids who don't know whether they're coming or going.

We have tried another route - NS PNP (at a cost of more £££s), but it hasn't really worked out that much faster as we don't expect an outcome until spring of 2013 at least. The PNP average processing times for London are now at 23 months, so PNP is no longer a quick alternative it seems. We have a child coming up to exams in May 2013, who never expected to do them (despite being told to work on the basis that he will) so will probably not do as well as he otherwise would have.

I could go on - but yes, living life in limbo has many problems for many of us and sometimes a decision has to be made as to whether it is really all worth it or whether the process is potentially too destructive.

PS Wozzie - I work in Edinburgh - that will be our 2nd choice if we don't make Canada, although that has its own problems as my OH can't get full registration to teach here (means he can only do supply), so not just Canada that makes you jump through hoops....
Old Nov 26th 2012, 3:44 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weegie30
Wozzie we are in similar position my oh is leaving the army in december after 25 years we have thought about moving to canada for years but his career stopped us, now we are able to try we are not sure if any of his army skills and wualifications are transferable can i as what route you are going?
Maybe worth contacting some nearby education providers to see if they can acreidt his army qualifications to a vocational equivalent such as nvqs or city and guilds. Just a thought
Old Nov 26th 2012, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We managed to get here without much grief, it just took quite a while to get PR (4 years for us).

Recently I've found myself questioning why I'm here though. It's a beautiful country, for sure, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with life in Canada. The expense, the bureaucracy, the people... maybe I'm just getting the 5 year itch, I dunno, but I'm definitely glad that we didn't have to struggle to get here, otherwise I'd have said it wasn't worth it.

I would never have said that a year ago, but the grass, as they say, isn't always greener.

Last edited by jericho; Nov 26th 2012 at 4:33 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kaye5
I honestly feel for you. It is this awful limbo and the ever shifting timescales that are driving many to seriously consider giving up the dream.

We were all ready to go for summer 2011. Sold the house - then the goalposts got moved and we honestly thought we couldn't stand an indefinite wait renting where we were in London (estate due to be redeveloped). My OH got made redundant, so we upped sticks and bought a house in the Borders. Huge mistake in a way as now we can't sell it, but we had many reasons at the time.

We haven't had permanent work since moving here (OH is on supply teaching - gets a few days a week if lucky; I'm on month to month p/t contract), difficult to apply for one when you might be going at any time (or never), out of money, trying desperately to preserve the settlement funds, and kids who don't know whether they're coming or going.

We have tried another route - NS PNP (at a cost of more £££s), but it hasn't really worked out that much faster as we don't expect an outcome until spring of 2013 at least. The PNP average processing times for London are now at 23 months, so PNP is no longer a quick alternative it seems. We have a child coming up to exams in May 2013, who never expected to do them (despite being told to work on the basis that he will) so will probably not do as well as he otherwise would have.

I could go on - but yes, living life in limbo has many problems for many of us and sometimes a decision has to be made as to whether it is really all worth it or whether the process is potentially too destructive.

PS Wozzie - I work in Edinburgh - that will be our 2nd choice if we don't make Canada, although that has its own problems as my OH can't get full registration to teach here (means he can only do supply), so not just Canada that makes you jump through hoops....

Hi Kaye

It's nice to know we are in a similar situation as you can sympathise There aren't many who can appreciate the frustrations and angst we go through. We considered NS PNP but it meant we'd have to make a couple of trips out to NS (We've lived previously in Western Canada but never made it to the East) and it's not cheap getting a family 0f 4 over there, so stuck with FSW. Frustratingly we went to a jobs fair in Glasgow a couple months back and there is work to be had....if we have a PR visa I feel for you having moved from London to the Borders and then struggling. As for moving to Edinburgh - prices here are just ridiculous. Even if we wanted to stay, a mortgage in the area our daughter is at school (Craiglockhart) is ridiculous. I do like Edinburgh but unfortunately the OH does not (we're both from south of the border), and the weather gets us down. Our plan B is Oz, but OH has just thrown a spanner in the works with a possible job offer for Oman. My worry is disrupting the family (and dogs) for a move to the Middle East when all I want to do is move to Canada! Arggghhh. Why do we do this to ourselves. Whereabouts in the Borders are you? It's nice to know there's someone close by going through the same emotions! PM me if you ever need to sound off!!

Wozzie
Old Nov 27th 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Weegie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya wozzie my husband is in the infantry so no skills as such(dont mean that in a bad way lol) im from edinburgh but never wanted to live there again my husbands regiment are in kent but we just left germany knowing his leave date was comin up soon we just bought a house in plymouth so we are now living here and totaly understand bout civvy jobs after 25 years in the army noone really want s to know , i am starting uni next uear to study occupational therapy i think that is our best chance so after finishing the course in 3 years and 1 year working. Realistic,ly looks like 4 years before we can move depressing thought my husband did a course in arboculture but yep you guessed it noone wants to employ him cos he has no experience still think canada is for us but will just take time .
Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woz718
Hi Kaye

It's nice to know we are in a similar situation as you can sympathise There aren't many who can appreciate the frustrations and angst we go through. We considered NS PNP but it meant we'd have to make a couple of trips out to NS (We've lived previously in Western Canada but never made it to the East) and it's not cheap getting a family 0f 4 over there, so stuck with FSW. Frustratingly we went to a jobs fair in Glasgow a couple months back and there is work to be had....if we have a PR visa I feel for you having moved from London to the Borders and then struggling. As for moving to Edinburgh - prices here are just ridiculous. Even if we wanted to stay, a mortgage in the area our daughter is at school (Craiglockhart) is ridiculous. I do like Edinburgh but unfortunately the OH does not (we're both from south of the border), and the weather gets us down. Our plan B is Oz, but OH has just thrown a spanner in the works with a possible job offer for Oman. My worry is disrupting the family (and dogs) for a move to the Middle East when all I want to do is move to Canada! Arggghhh. Why do we do this to ourselves. Whereabouts in the Borders are you? It's nice to know there's someone close by going through the same emotions! PM me if you ever need to sound off!!

Wozzie
Wozzie, I'll PM you!
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:27 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yes
+1
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:29 pm
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho

I would never have said that a year ago, but the grass, as they say, isn't always greener.
+1