Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we all just dreamers?

Are we all just dreamers?

Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice
Default Are we all just dreamers?

Well, its nice to dream sometimes and hope that the grass is greener, but sometimes its difficult not to be doubtful and deflated by the whole emigration process of trying to find out. For 3 years imparticular from 2006 I was adamant that I was going to move back to Canada having spent a year there.
I decided to re-train and change career direction, something I wanted to do anyway, whilst at the same time believing it would improve my chances of finding work abroad more likely. In the intervening years I've decided to get on with my life here and not consume myself with my initial dream as the whole process seemed so long winded, and quite frankly obstructive to those genuinely wanting to better themselves and add something constructively to the country they wish to explore.
Over the past 6 months or so, with all the new skilled worker rules being drawn up, I can't help but think that Canada is trying to discourage the most qualified and ambitious amongst us, by making the whole immigration process unpredictable and unattractive. Begs the question....are we just dreaming that life will be better once we've waded though the mountain of form filling?
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we all just dreamers?

As they say, 'Don't let your dream be a dream otherwise someone will hire you to fulfill theirs.'
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:43 pm
Just Joined

Shelld79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Canuck Fan
Well, its nice to dream sometimes and hope that the grass is greener, but sometimes its difficult not to be doubtful and deflated by the whole emigration process of trying to find out. For 3 years imparticular from 2006 I was adamant that I was going to move back to Canada having spent a year there.
I decided to re-train and change career direction, something I wanted to do anyway, whilst at the same time believing it would improve my chances of finding work abroad more likely. In the intervening years I've decided to get on with my life here and not consume myself with my initial dream as the whole process seemed so long winded, and quite frankly obstructive to those genuinely wanting to better themselves and add something constructively to the country they wish to explore.
Over the past 6 months or so, with all the new skilled worker rules being drawn up, I can't help but think that Canada is trying to discourage the most qualified and ambitious amongst us, by making the whole immigration process unpredictable and unattractive. Begs the question....are we just dreaming that life will be better once we've waded though the mountain of form filling?

Well I say 'dont give up' especially if you have been thinking of it for a while. It must be do-able as there is many brits gone over.

What professions are/did you do?
And yes it always is nice to dream at times!!!
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Location: unfortunately Edinburgh, but dreaming of a better life.
woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Gotta be honest, I'm starting to think that dreams will never be a reality. How many times can the goalposts be moved before you say enough is enough. I can see where you're coming from.

Wozzie
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Yes
Old Nov 25th 2012, 9:54 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with striving for more and surely if the goal post get moved it puts off folk who's heart is not in it. The less of the ones with no heart in it, then the more room for the ones who want to make it happen
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Nothing wrong with striving for more and surely if the goal post get moved it puts off folk who's heart is not in it. The less of the ones with no heart in it, then the more room for the ones who want to make it happen
No.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 10:42 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

In the words of Gabrielle....."dreams can come true"

Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

No - I think life is better over here but then I wouldn't have made such a big move if we didn't think this.

It's not Eutopia over here but for us we prefer it. Homesickness is hard when it hits tho.

You have come this far - keep going... either that or do what we did and take a big gamble on a TWP. Scary yes - looking back on it it was incredibly stressful - but am I glad we did it. Absolutely.

Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

"Canada is trying to discourage the most qualified and ambitious amongst us, by making the whole immigration process unpredictable and unattractive."

The immigration authorities have been wasting people's time for decades. Don't take it personally. It's just the way they do things. They love to send you away because your submission is lacking in some particular. The idea is to keep full employment at Immigration Canada (seriously). Keep your emotions in check, and be very organized.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:58 am
Just Joined

markthevalla is an unknown quantity at this point

Living the dream is great if it's affordable in comparison to the lifestyle you had previously. Not giving up on a dream is fine advice, and insinuating someones hearts not in it if they give up is a bit weak....to me the affordability of living is the pivotal point, it's no good living in paradise, if you don't get the chance to experience paradise because of the cost of living!
Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

woz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant futurewoz718 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Mikey, sorry but I have to disagree. What about those whose hearts were in it who applied pre-2008. Regardless of their dreams, CIC crushed them when they threw out their applications. Our hearts have been in this ever since we lived in Canada 10 years ago but we were unable to move due to OH being tied to his army career. We applied for immigration 3 years ago when the wait time was 9-12 months believing that when he left the army in Jan 2013 we would embark on our new life. We are now not anticipating getting a visa until Feb 2014 at the earliest and have to continue living a life of uncertainty.When you've lived a life of moving around every few years and yearn to put down roots so your children can have a more settled life and live in your own house in a country which has captured your heart, yet CIC keep shifting the dates back, the uncertainty, stress and frustrations start to show. I certainly wouldn't say our hearts are not in it, but when we have a family to think of, we can't have to make plans. For all we know we could face the same fate as the pre-2008 group and end up with our applications returns, and have wasted all this time in false hope. I note you have yet to start the process so hopefully when you apply, you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets processed relatively quickly and won't get to know the angst of someone playing god with your life and keeping you having like a puppet on a string. Good luck with your immigration plans and I hope your dreams come true.

Wozzie.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:50 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woz718
Mikey, sorry but I have to disagree. What about those whose hearts were in it who applied pre-2008. Regardless of their dreams, CIC crushed them when they threw out their applications. Our hearts have been in this ever since we lived in Canada 10 years ago but we were unable to move due to OH being tied to his army career. We applied for immigration 3 years ago when the wait time was 9-12 months believing that when he left the army in Jan 2013 we would embark on our new life. We are now not anticipating getting a visa until Feb 2014 at the earliest and have to continue living a life of uncertainty.When you've lived a life of moving around every few years and yearn to put down roots so your children can have a more settled life and live in your own house in a country which has captured your heart, yet CIC keep shifting the dates back, the uncertainty, stress and frustrations start to show. I certainly wouldn't say our hearts are not in it, but when we have a family to think of, we can't have to make plans. For all we know we could face the same fate as the pre-2008 group and end up with our applications returns, and have wasted all this time in false hope. I note you have yet to start the process so hopefully when you apply, you'll be one of the lucky ones who gets processed relatively quickly and won't get to know the angst of someone playing god with your life and keeping you having like a puppet on a string. Good luck with your immigration plans and I hope your dreams come true.

Wozzie.
I think maybe my comment was a little rash and on reflection apologise if the comments caused offence. Good luck with following your dream
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Mikeypm,
No need to apologise and no offence taken. I would have thought exactly the same until I started to go through this roller coaster of a ride All the best and I hope the process is swift and uneventful for you Good luck.

Wozzie.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Weegie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wozzie we are in similar position my oh is leaving the army in december after 25 years we have thought about moving to canada for years but his career stopped us, now we are able to try we are not sure if any of his army skills and wualifications are transferable can i as what route you are going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.