Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watching British TV through a SmartTV

Wikiposts

Watching British TV through a SmartTV

Old Nov 13th 2014, 1:40 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching British TV through a SmartTV

The solution I use is DNS settings, it's really easy to get set up. (I've helped a few on this board do it, the steps are really, really simple.) The nice thing with DNS is that if you set it up in your router, then any device behind the router - phones, laptops, tablets, smart TVs, etc - all respect the DNS settings, so you can watch whatever country's material on whatever device. (The only exception is Chromecast, which requires an additional workaround.)
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The solution I use is DNS settings, it's really easy to get set up. (I've helped a few on this board do it, the steps are really, really simple.) The nice thing with DNS is that if you set it up in your router, then any device behind the router - phones, laptops, tablets, smart TVs, etc - all respect the DNS settings, so you can watch whatever country's material on whatever device. (The only exception is Chromecast, which requires an additional workaround.)
I may need your help then! I can change the DNS settings with the tv/Internet connection on the wired setting, but not the wi-if, which is how we are connected. Through wi-if, I need to start messing with settings that I have no knowledge of (wps? And that's just for starters!).

Any pointers you can give which won't require us to hardware the tv would be great.

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:37 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

So we use a service called UnoTelly - www.unotelly.com. It costs US$48 per year.

You register for an account, and you change the settings directly in your wireless router. Anything behind the router then respects those settings.

To change the settings in the router, you'd have to log into the router, then usually in the setup tab there are boxes to specify specific DNS servers, and you put unotelly's servers in there.

You then tell unotelly to turn on and off particular country content. So for us, we have Netflix set to US (but we can change to UK/Brazil/etc on a whim), all UK channels (iPlayer, ITV, 4OD, etc) and then optiosn for others. (Friends of mine who moved back to Canada from NZ have NZTV and a few other NZ and Aus channels set up.)

If that's an option for you, then I would suggest signing up for unotelly's free trial, it's free for a week, so you can sign up for the trial, configure it, leave it running for a few days to make sure it's all working right, the pay for it once you're happy it's all working.

What kind of wifi router do you have?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light

I don't really want to start messing about with routers and subscribing to a company where I have to tell them what country I want to to view. I just want to turn on my smart tv and have the uk on demand channels delivered through there.

I'm not worried about the router taking me to canadian sites, in fact, I'd prefer that. It's just the television I want.

So is the only way to change the settings on the tv when it's connected wirelessly through the router? If this is the case, ill get the magical box and be done with it!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's a new store in Ajax, I will post his biz card when I get home tonight, they also have a longer running store in Brampton
Hi again!

Just wondered if you'd managed to track down the store name yet? I spent hours online yesterday looking for stockists of the magic box but no joy!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:51 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by BexM
I don't really want to start messing about with routers and subscribing to a company where I have to tell them what country I want to to view. I just want to turn on my smart tv and have the uk on demand channels delivered through there.

I'm not worried about the router taking me to canadian sites, in fact, I'd prefer that. It's just the television I want.

So is the only way to change the settings on the tv when it's connected wirelessly through the router? If this is the case, ill get the magical box and be done with it!
DNS service is not for you then. Your TV won't be able to just do it, I don't think you can change the TV's specific settings, they're usually pretty locked down. Your best bet is something like the Android Smart TV that you would use instead of your SmartTV function.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:12 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BexM
Hi again!

Just wondered if you'd managed to track down the store name yet? I spent hours online yesterday looking for stockists of the magic box but no joy!
Yup see post 15 back on page 1 :@)

Tell him the English guy sent u the one who got the deal on big TV and wall mount Lol
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yup see post 15 back on page 1 :@)

Tell him the English guy sent u the one who got the deal on big TV and wall mount Lol
Sorry, I completely missed that! Thanks! Sadly we are nowhere near Ajax but I will definitely contact the shop and see if they will do home delivery! Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
DNS service is not for you then. Your TV won't be able to just do it, I don't think you can change the TV's specific settings, they're usually pretty locked down. Your best bet is something like the Android Smart TV that you would use instead of your SmartTV function.
Ok, thanks so much for your help though. Much appreciated.