Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:46 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Glaswegian - I don’t understand your comparison with the crown figures? I take your point about deductibles though, but for Mr B when it’s only laundry fees (200 GBP a year), insurance fees and GDC fees it’s hardly a lot...since the taxation is slightly lower in Canada anyway I wonder what the actual difference would be.

Biiiiink
The point about crowns was that you quoted GBP100 and I quoted $2000 - the Canadian dentist charges more for a similar service. And the dollar goes further in Canada than the pound does in the UK.

The deductibles - sounds to me like Mr B is an employee rather than a practice owner. I was thinking of rent or mortgage interest, malpractice insurance, property insurance, business interuption insurance, business rates, advertising, receptionist salaries, practice manager salary, cleaning company fees, mags for reception, hygenist salaries, dental assistant salaries, consumables (Xray film, compounds etc), the cost of dental chairs, drills, lights.........and the most important one - accountancy fees to prepare the practice accounts, deal with any partnership agreements, partnership tax returns etc.

Ocean mentioned in another post that dentists could take a smaller salary and leave the rest in the corporation - every business owner can do this - its perfectly legal.

Mrs G

Old Oct 31st 2004, 6:50 pm
Unclear Engineer

indybrit is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
This seems to happen a lot with overseas professionals, it's one of the reasons Canada has a shortage - there are foreign trained doctors working as taxi drivers and security guards.

CFCN news are running a series of stories this week about how Canada welcomes new immigrants, but doesn't welcome their training or education much - I'm not being negative ... this is a reality of Canadian immigration ... on the positive side, at least you found out about it before you sold up and moved over.
Absolutley true. 30,000+ people in the K-W area without a family doctor...is it any wonder.

This is what I wrote about this recently:-

Originally Posted by indybrit
The employment situation in Canada is very frustrating as you can now see.
There are lots of advertised skilled jobs, lots of skilled immigrant workers but even more barriers to matching those workers with those jobs.
Many professional jobs will say "must have a 4 year university degree".
As you know, many UK colleges now grant degrees but in Canada that is deemed not good enough. Here in the US all higher education is called a degree whether it be 3 year, 4 year or 5 year at a college or university.
Also here in the US the emphasis first and foremost is "can you do the job". Frankly, most employers in the US don't give a rats arse where you got your qualification so long as you can do the job.

So as I see it, as long as there is the inability in Canada to match an "equivalent" qualification with a specific requirement, this ridiculous situation will never go away.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:11 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
- every business owner can do this - its perfectly legal.

Mrs G
That's not necessarily true. In geneal, in Canada, for a professional to legally use a professional corporation (or any corporation in conjunction with their practice) they have to have specific enabling legislation in their Act (provincial legislation covering that profession) authorizing this. It's an issue involving legal liability and taxation. Without this special authorization, Revenue Canada could attribute all the income to the individual (as though the corporation never existed). That according to some of the top legal minds in Alberta in the early 1980s when my Association got an opinion on this issue. I know that in Alberta ( or wherever else it may be used in Canada), a professional corporation does not limit personal liability. That's one thing that differentiates a "professional" corporation from a regular corporation.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 31st 2004 at 8:16 pm.