Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Originally Posted by Lychee
The event today has been blown out of proportion in the media. Critical Mass has been happening every month in Vancouver for years now, but only this one has massive warnings to stay away. Perhaps due to the long weekend + Pride + Police games?

I witnessed the Critical Mass a month ago at the end of June. There was no violence. There was no pushing. It was all a fairly standard, low key affair - hundreds if not thousands of cyclists of all ages, all smiling and having a great time cycling through downtown Vancouver's streets.
Showing no concern for other road users and causing chaos, often verbally abusing anyone else who dares have an opinion contrary to theirs. Oh yea, they cyclists have a right to free expression and speech, just not the people the inconvenience who are trying to go about their business delivering product or get home to be with families for the weekend. If they did not want to cause disruption and inconvenience, why do it on the Friday of a long weekend? If they want public sympathy perhaps move to another day to avoid the disruption.

“The fact of the matter is that Critical Mass has reached a critical mass of civil disobedience,” said Vancouver police Insp. Rick McKenna.

Last year they blocked the Lions Gate bridge. If other road users behaved like this they would likely get a ticket or arrested.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:42 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Rumour has it that you can still catch a glimpse of an old raised mast on a good day.
Originally Posted by Lychee
The event today has been blown out of proportion in the media. Critical Mass has been happening every month in Vancouver for years now, but only this one has massive warnings to stay away. Perhaps due to the long weekend + Pride + Police games?

I witnessed the Critical Mass a month ago at the end of June. There was no violence. There was no pushing. It was all a fairly standard, low key affair - hundreds if not thousands of cyclists of all ages, all smiling and having a great time cycling through downtown Vancouver's streets.
oh boys - you think I am daft!! Have been to Wreck - but in the winter!!

Lychee - yup - this one will be bigger - due to weather, pride and long weekend!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:56 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
oh boys - you think I am daft!! Have been to Wreck - but in the winter!!
That was brave - did you have to grease up to prevent the wind chafing?
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:15 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
That was brave - did you have to grease up to prevent the wind chafing?
no - I went dressed - but the dogs were naked!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I think the first thing should be compulsary bike tests, theory and then practical.
Then they will know what a bike lane is and use the expensive things...maybe even understand what a red light is.
Cyclists here seem a lot worse than the in the UK.
Perhaps they should all have a licence and ICBC insurance..
Only good thing I see is most do wear helmets.
Don't get me wrong .. I am all in favour of sharing the road, if other road users follow the rules..
cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Hammerhead786 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
My OH has been taken off his bike in London at a red light by a woman behind him who intend to go thru - he was on the floor and she was shouting at him for stopping!!
Whilst working in London, I caught up with a work colleague sporting his broken arm in a sling. When asked about said arm, colleague said he was run over on a pedestrian crossing by.........a cyclist.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:34 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sharkus
... when you've got the bikers slapping your car because they think you are too close when you're not..
Just a small point, without wishing to interrupt the anger management class, but imho if a cyclist can reach your car to slap it then you're within about 2 feet and that's too close. Often, there's no other way for a cyclist to alert a driver to his/her presence (the bell is unlikely to be heard above the driver's cellphone conversation).
Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:45 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sharkus
For any cyclists who think they are above the laws, or for us motorists who want to point out to this "superior" types that they aren't better than us, feel free to quote/print/ram down their sanctimonious throats, the following:

Obviously only applies to Ontario, but I would assume other provinces would have the same laws:

(taken from here: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pub...ction5.0.shtml)

Cycling and The Law

A bicycle is a vehicle under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA). This means that, as a bicyclist, you have the same rights and responsibilities to obey all traffic laws as other road users. Cyclists charged for disobeying traffic laws will be subject to a minimum set fine and a Victim Surcharge fine of $20.00 for most offences (please note set fines below are subject to change).

The following are key sections of the HTA concerning cyclists.

HTA 144/136 - Traffic signals and signs
stop for red lights and stop signs and comply with all other signs. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 153 - One-ways streets
ride in the designated direction on one-way streets. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 147 - Slow moving traffic travel on right side
any vehicle moving slower than the normal traffic speed should drive in the right-hand lane, or as close as practicable to the right edge of the road except when preparing to turn left or when passing another vehicle. For cyclists, you must ride far enough out from the curb to maintain a straight line, clear of sewer grates, debris, potholes, and parked car doors. You may occupy any part of a lane when your safety warrants it. Never compromise your safety for the convenience of a motorist behind you. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 142 - Signalling a turn
before turning, look behind you and signal your turn. Cyclists can use their right arm to signal a right turn. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 140(1) 144(29) - Crosswalks
yield or stop for pedestrians at crosswalks. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 140(6)/144(29) - No riding in crosswalks
walk your bike when crossing at a crosswalk. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 166 - Streetcars
stop two metres behind streetcar doors and wait until passengers have boarded or departed and reached the curb. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 175 (12) - Stopped school buses
stop for stopped school buses when the upper alternating red lights are flashing and the stop arm is out. Set fine: $400.00

HTA 62(17) - Lights
a bike must have a white front light and a red rear light or reflector if you ride between 1/2 hour before sunset and 1/2 hour after sunrise and white reflective tape on the front forks and red reflective tape on rear forks. Set fine: $20.00

HTA 75 (5) - Bell
a bike must have a bell or horn in good working order. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 64(3) - Brakes
a bike must have at least one brake system on the rear wheel. When you put on the brakes, you should be able to skid on dry, level pavement. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 218 - Identification
Cyclists must stop and identify themselves when required to stop by police for breaking traffic laws. The police officer will ask you for your correct name and address. Set fine: $85.00

HTA Reg. 630 - Expressways
Bicycles are prohibited on expressway / freeway highways such as the 400 series, the QEW, Ottawa Queensway and on roads where "No Bicycle" signs are posted. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 178(2) - Passengers
Passengers are not allowed on a bicycle designed for one person. Set fine: $85.00

HTA 178(1) - Attaching to a vehicle
You are not permitted to attach yourself to the outside of another vehicle or streetcar for the purpose of "hitching a ride." Set fine: $85.00

HTA 104 - Helmets
Every cyclist under the age of eighteen must wear an approved bicycle helmet. Parents or guardians shall not knowingly permit cyclists under sixteen to ride without a helmet. Set fine: $60.00

HTA 179 - Dismounted bicyclist
Cyclists are required to ride on the right-hand side of the road. If you are walking your bike on a highway where there are no sidewalks, you are considered a pedestrian and you should walk on the left-hand side of the road facing traffic. If it is not safe for you to cross the road to face traffic, you may walk your bike on the right-hand side of the road. Set fine: $35.00.
The following are not considered bicycles and are subject to different rules for use:

Limited-speed motorcycles
Motor-assisted bicycles (mopeds)
Low-speed vehicles
Electric and motorized scooters (go-peds)
Pocket bikes
Segway Human/Personal Transporters
..and from the same Ontario MOT site comes this guidance for drivers:

Sharing the road with cyclists

Bicycles and mopeds that cannot keep up with traffic are expected to keep to the right of the lane; however, they can use any part of the lane if necessary for safety, such as to avoid potholes and sewer grates. Cyclists need a metre on either side of themselves as a safety zone. When passing a cyclist, allow at least one metre between your car and the cyclist.

If the lane is too narrow to share, change lanes to pass the cyclist. When turning right, signal and check your mirrors and the blind spot to your right to make sure you do not cut off a cyclist. When parked on the side of the street, look behind you and check your mirrors and blinds spots for a passing cyclist before opening a door.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

ESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really niceESarge is just really nice

I live in Vancouver and I was a recreational cyclist back in Wellington. I've very slow on a bike so dropped it in favour of running.

I, too, think the Critical Mass thing is deliberately and unnecessarily aggravating. I don't see how annoying people will improve things for cyclists.

RE: A cyclist slapping the car for being too close. If the cyclist could slap your car, especially if they were in motion at the time, then you were far, far too close. A cyclist is very vulnerable on the road and *feels* very vulnerable on the road. For a car to be within a metre of the cyclist is deeply scary and very dangerous. What happens if you decide to jerk the steering wheel because something ran across the road up ahead? 1 dead cyclist.

Re: stop lights. Yes, cyclists should obey red lights. However, the most dangerous times on a bike are stopping and starting. When I was cycling and the light was just going red I'd make a judgement call on what the safest thing to do was. If I felt I could get across safely then I would.

I once pulled up at an intersection and stopped at the side only to have a taxi come and park next to me. When the lights changed I had no room to get started so couldn't. Because you move more slowly when you start you need more room for the bike to move around in for balance.

Ever since then, whenever I was coming up to stop at lights I would move to the point in the lane right in front of the driver and come to a stop, right in front of the driver. I would start off, right in front of the driver, and then, once I'm going, pull off to the side. That way, if they would happen to run me over then claiming they couldn't see me would be justification for me (or my family...) to argue to the judge that they did not have sufficient vision to drive.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:33 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESarge
Ever since then, whenever I was coming up to stop at lights I would move to the point in the lane right in front of the driver and come to a stop, right in front of the driver. I would start off, right in front of the driver, and then, once I'm going, pull off to the side. That way, if they would happen to run me over then claiming they couldn't see me would be justification for me (or my family...) to argue to the judge that they did not have sufficient vision to drive.
I do that (well back when I cycled to work). Don't see anything wrong with cyclists taking up their rightful space in the road.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:45 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting....this is being talked about on twitter right now and the locals I'm talking to don't see what the fuss is about. Neither do I.

Personally, I think peeps are just pissed about the Burrard St bridge and this is the backlash.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I do that (well back when I cycled to work). Don't see anything wrong with cyclists taking up their rightful space in the road.
Hi
Well this morning nearly saw two cyclist wiped out, because they choose to cycle on the road and not on the parrallel, empty cycle path, (surely their rightful space ?)
If the expensive cycle paths are built, my opinion they should be used, for everyones safety.
Both my kids have had close shaves whilst walking due to cyclists, either ignoring red lights or crossings.
A reg plate would have let the kids be able to report them.
And as a ps i don't use the burrard bridge to commute ..
cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Personally, I think peeps are just pissed about the Burrard St bridge and this is the backlash.
Hi
personally I don't think so, it just puts the chance to air the topic of cyclists not riding safely.
cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:43 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Well this morning nearly saw two cyclist wiped out, because they choose to cycle on the road and not on the parrallel, empty cycle path, (surely their rightful space ?)
There's a fundamental victim-blaming problem here. If nearly wiped out, let's have a look at who, driving what, nearly wiped them out, not blame the cyclists for choosing one piece of (perfectly legal) tarmac over another.

If the expensive cycle paths are built, my opinion they should be used, for everyones safety.
Cycle routes are not always safer for cyclists or anyone else - especially when shared with pedestrians. I would rather they weren't built, personally.

Both my kids have had close shaves whilst walking due to cyclists, either ignoring red lights or crossings.
See my last point.

A reg plate would have let the kids be able to report them.
Nothing stopping them reporting by description, just like they would any other criminal who isn't in his own registered car.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:44 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

Hi
personally I don't think so, it just puts the chance to air the topic of cyclists not riding safely.
cheers
Jerry
Do you know how many other road users are injured by cyclists in a typical year? Even with all the red-light jumping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.