Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

... will be disrupting travel in downtown Vancouver later today. Nothing against cyclists, but these self righteous idiots with their bullying tactics annoy me - and I don't even drive!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:23 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning: Sanctimonious cyclists ....

Originally Posted by Alan2005
... will be disrupting travel in downtown Vancouver later today. Nothing against cyclists, but these self righteous idiots with their bullying tactics annoy me - and I don't even drive!
oops - that'll be me, the kids and OH then !!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:26 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a problem - and I find the change to the burrard bridge infuriating. Not to mention the graffiti on the new bike lanes.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:28 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
oops - that'll be me, the kids and OH then !!
Your joining that demo?

Watched them cycle past my condo last time and how they treated a young women with her two kids and a pushchair as she tried to cross the road (cycling within inches of her children as she tried to walk across). I commuted by bike in the UK and I wouldn't want to be part of anything like that.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:31 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Any fanatic, religious, political, cyclist or otherwise are a danger to society
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Any fanatic, religious, political, cyclist or otherwise are a danger to society
Amen... (and for once I'm not being sarcastic)
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:36 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

weeel - we joined one in london - so thought would try it here -as the weathers nice - but I am a polite one that will just follow at the back - gien tht my son has the ability to fall off a chair = prob best not to put him in the middle -would be carnage!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:41 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

What's the protest about? Not the usual "Cyclists have rights on the road too!" stuff?

If anyone lives in Toronto they will probably know of the Martin Goodman Trail, specifically the bit from the Palace Pier area, past Ontario Place and onwards onto the Queens Quay are. It's a nice divided path, east and west for cyclists, but some still insist on clogging up the lakeshore and not using the path, obviously they are too superior to the normal bikers to use that path, even though it's there for them!

That does annoy me somewhat.

I'm not anti-cycling, far from it, but when you've got the bikers slapping your car because they think you are too close when you're not, and then harping on about "rights" and respecting them, and then they go and bike straight through an intersection on a red light. You want the same rights as motorists, obey the laws we do!

Also, if they aren't car owners then from what I'm aware, they aren't paying anything to the MOT/Government in regards to yearly tags, something we motorists have to do, so be glad you're not taxed on that too. Miller also decided to shaft motorists even more by putting an extra fee on top of the renewal for tags.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by dboy
It is a problem - and I find the change to the burrard bridge infuriating. Not to mention the graffiti on the new bike lanes.
I'm not that impressed with it either.

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
weeel - we joined one in london - so thought would try it here -as the weathers nice - but I am a polite one that will just follow at the back - gien tht my son has the ability to fall off a chair = prob best not to put him in the middle -would be carnage!
I'd have no problem with this if it was an organized demo with planned routes, or even if the cyclists just respected the rules of the road. But they don't - I watched how they behaved and I was actually surprised that there wasn't any violence.

Originally Posted by sharkus
What's the protest about? Not the usual "Cyclists have rights on the road too!" stuff?

If anyone lives in Toronto they will probably know of the Martin Goodman Trail, specifically the bit from the Palace Pier area, past Ontario Place and onwards onto the Queens Quay are. It's a nice divided path, east and west for cyclists, but some still insist on clogging up the lakeshore and not using the path, obviously they are too superior to the normal bikers to use that path, even though it's there for them!

That does annoy me somewhat.

I'm not anti-cycling, far from it, but when you've got the bikers slapping your car because they think you are too close when you're not, and then harping on about "rights" and respecting them, and then they go and bike straight through an intersection on a red light. You want the same rights as motorists, obey the laws we do!

Also, if they aren't car owners then from what I'm aware, they aren't paying anything to the MOT/Government in regards to yearly tags, something we motorists have to do, so be glad you're not taxed on that too. Miller also decided to shaft motorists even more by putting an extra fee on top of the renewal for tags.
It's exactly that.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:46 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
We were stuck down Burrard, i think it was the end of June or early July, for about 10 minutes while they all tootled past. Luckily we were near the front of the traffic but by crikey it was backing up behind soo badly.

My only issue with it all is that the cyclists who were blocking the intersection became irate at the drivers for wanting to continue on their journey home after work. Also i hate the fact that many cyclists don't seem to consider riding through red lights to be against the law (as they were doing for 10 minutes). It happens in London, UK, all the time and i hate it.

I'm a cyclist by the way although not a commuter cyclist.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:49 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It happens in London, UK, all the time and i hate it.
I was slapped a cyclist with a copy of the Metro in London when he cycled through a red light on a pedestrian crossing..............huge arguement ensued and he point blank refused to believe that he was in the wrong for going through a red light.

I was always in favour of the nude cyclist protest in London though

And yes I cycle to work here in Calgary 2 or 3 times per week.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:54 pm
half a century

I told the kids it was a nude one today - they didnt believe me!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 4:59 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

If you manage to corner one of them when they go through a red light, try and get a cop to appear and ask them what the law is, I'm pretty certain they have to obey the same rules of the road as motorists, ie; coming to a complete halt at stop signs and red lights.

I know it's not all cyclists that are like this, and as with anything, the good ones are never spoken about, only the bad ones. But it really is something that grates with me.

I've ridden in downtown toronto, and that isn't much fun, but I've respected the laws as I'm mainly a motorist, I stop at stop signs and red lights and whilst stopped I've had some prick on a bike pinging his bell at me to move, have to say I think a swift "It's a red light you prick" in a loud brit accent made him think about what he was doing. I've also sat there and had cyclists fly past me whilst I'm waiting.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:01 pm
half a century

My OH has been taken off his bike in London at a red light by a woman behind him who intend to go thru - he was on the floor and she was shouting at him for stopping!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 5:06 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
We were stuck down Burrard, i think it was the end of June or early July, for about 10 minutes while they all tootled past. Luckily we were near the front of the traffic but by crikey it was backing up behind soo badly.

My only issue with it all is that the cyclists who were blocking the intersection became irate at the drivers for wanting to continue on their journey home after work. Also i hate the fact that many cyclists don't seem to consider riding through red lights to be against the law (as they were doing for 10 minutes). It happens in London, UK, all the time and i hate it.

I'm a cyclist by the way although not a commuter cyclist.
And overtaking on the right. I was turning right and a cyclist tried to go straight ahead on my right. Fortunately for him, I used to be a motorcyclist and always shoulder check. He then launched in a verbal assault - bad move - i was in an unmarked police car!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.