Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Warning to Newcomers

Warning to Newcomers

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about254 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Warning to Newcomers

I agree with the addictiveness of BE and mls.ca! I've managed to keep myself away from mls.ca for the last week or so, but now it's the Easter holidays i'll definitely be back on...

I think part of the addictiveness of BE is finding other people in a similar position to yourself... most people I think in 'real life' can't understand why we want to move thousands of miles away... so it's great to share our dreams and goals with others here.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I am surprised you said the houses were dated. But then perhaps they don't have those revolting patterned carpets that you see on all the UK TV shows! Sorry, but perhaps they are in fashion still there or perhaps the houses that you see on Escape to the Country are awful because the people want to escape from them!!

I think the houses on the MLS in quite a few places in Canada are pretty slim pickings right now. Houses in Regina used to be cheap. You could get a really nice bungalow in a really nice area for under $150,000 - however that same bungalow will now be over $300,000 and there aren't that many for sale.

I think the situation is the same or worse in Alberta. And Vancouver, houses are more or less out of the question unless you are rolling in money! I suppose though if you are used to UK prices then you wouldn't find it too bad!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:38 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I am surprised you said the houses were dated. But then perhaps they don't have those revolting patterned carpets that you see on all the UK TV shows! Sorry, but perhaps they are in fashion still there or perhaps the houses that you see on Escape to the Country are awful because the people want to escape from them!!

I think the houses on the MLS in quite a few places in Canada are pretty slim pickings right now. Houses in Regina used to be cheap. You could get a really nice bungalow in a really nice area for under $150,000 - however that same bungalow will now be over $300,000 and there aren't that many for sale.

I think the situation is the same or worse in Alberta. And Vancouver, houses are more or less out of the question unless you are rolling in money! I suppose though if you are used to UK prices then you wouldn't find it too bad!

We are by no means "rolling in it" but I think @cos we are in south London - the prices semm fairly similar - so not too much of a shock ! !
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Inse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond reputeInse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manda G
but they are abit dated inside like going back to the 70's haha
Canadian interior decor is definitely an acquired taste! And we haven't acquired it yet
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:04 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Inse
Canadian interior decor is definitely an acquired taste! And we haven't acquired it yet
That might be why Colin and Justin's TV program - Home Heist - has come to Canada. They poke fun at Canadian home decor and are probably p---ing off the Canadians. We saw them live last year at a design show - they were on stage in their kilts and were very rude and extravagantly gay. Very funny!

BTW I notice here in Vancouver that all the new builds look the same. The paint colours are mushroom, there's granite countertops, slate tiles in the bathroom and stainless steel appliances. After a while I can't tell which home I am in. Generally I can tell when I am showing a house owned by a Brit - the colours are less muted.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Hello all, yep it's an addictive and very helpful site, I, how did I get here, what is that white thing I'm wearing.......................
I have told you before mum not too come out without taking the blue pills first

Hi and welcome to all yep addicted you will be, your house husband/wife will feel deprived of attention the dog will be crossing there legs and the kids will become delinquents but you will get Karma
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

So nice that some of you newbies feel so happy and pleased to have found BE - the reason we all want to help is that most of us have been stuck in the UK wanting to get out here ASAP so we all understand your frustrations.

Good Luck to everyone

Gaynor
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Cassie 10000;6096439]Hi Mandy

No we haven't moved yet. My husband and I have taken holidays to Banff and just love it. Skiing is pretty much the main reason why I want to go and quality of lifestyle.

Our favorite pastime as well....we went to Fernie this weekend and it was fabulous, the first day we had 24cm of fresh powder, and then the next another 10cm.....The next time you holiday check Fernie out it's about a three hour drive south from Calgary (down the 22) and the scenery is pretty spectacular as well.
Attached Thumbnails Warning to Newcomers-dsc00216.jpg  
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

MR MOM will become famous soon enoughMR MOM will become famous soon enough

hi guys

If you are looking for work out west around the Calgary area, phone a guy called Warren Green. His website is albertaimmigration.com and he is a diamond.
We used him to immigrate and i know that there are several other people who use him for finding jobs and getting visas etc.
Read the testmonials and see what you think. Phone him and he'll give you a straight answer no BS