Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Warning! Dont let your PR card Expire!

Warning! Dont let your PR card Expire!

Old Jan 6th 2012, 4:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning! Dont let your PR card Expire!

My personal view is that it is quite hard to get citizenship before the card expires. It takes about 17 months for a citizenship application to be processed and you have to have been physically present in Canada for a total of three out of the last four years to be able to apply.

If you spend every single waking moment in Canada from the time you land, then yes, 36+17 = 53 which is less than 60. But seven months outside of Canada in the first 48 is quite easy to do, so 48+17 = 65, so you have to renew your card.

You can get it done more quickly using the emergency provisions.

And yes you do need it to access all sorts of govt. services, you might be able to use the IMM5292 but a lot of people have lost it by that point. Also as mentioned the IRPA requires you to provide evidence before being allowed to board - and that's not just aircraft, that's anything, ships, buses, etc.

I remember at Heathrow once there was a real jobsworth at the gate checking passports, visas and cards and there is no doubt in my mind I would have been denied boarding without it, he flicked through my passport and saw the used immigrant visa, and said to me: "so have you got your permanent resident card then?" And I had to show it to him. I saw one woman denied boarding, don't know why obviously but there's no way I'd chance it after that. Also had a similar experience in Phoenix, the woman at the gate called her supervisor over who looked up the regulations and was very specific that I had to show him the card.

The point I have made (in person) to the CIC and also the Minister of Immigration is that PR cards should be valid for ten years rather than five, because there's a lot of people who end up renewing them purely because of how long it takes to process their citizenship application. They're valid for ten years in the US, but in the US they aren't so hot on the whole "how many days" thing because in the US being an LPR makes you resident for tax purposes, so if you don't pay your taxes and you're outside of the country you can be deemed to have lost your residency, simple as that.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

So am I right in thinking that I don't need to send my PR card with the renewal application if it hasn't expired yet? With the current citizenship timescales I'm not sure whether I'll be done before the card expires, but I do need to travel in the next six months.

If that's the case I'll renew it ASAP as I may have to go on a business trip soon after the current card expires.

P.S. I just checked online and they're now quoting 19 months for citizenship.

Last edited by MarkG; Jan 6th 2012 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2012, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nicerobert_masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We obtained SIN for all of our kids without PR cards. The COPR was all we needed.
Hi

Us too! Including the baby!
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Also had a similar experience in Phoenix, the woman at the gate called her supervisor over who looked up the regulations and was very specific that I had to show him the card.
Which of course was wrong. It's been clearly established that under the regulations, a passport (provided it does not need a visa) is sufficient travel documentation to board a Canada bound flight. Canada does not legally mandate a return or onward ticket. So an airline that did refuse boarding on this basis would be inviting a lawsuit - but we've not seen a real-life case in nearly 10 years.

Air Canada in particular says there shouldn't be a problem if passport is visa-free. However, travel without PR Card is not the recommended option for those who have (or can get) a PR Card.

The point I have made (in person) to the CIC and also the Minister of Immigration is that PR cards should be valid for ten years rather than five, because there's a lot of people who end up renewing them purely because of how long it takes to process their citizenship application.
Probably won't happen as it would mean less revenue to CIC, although with some imagination they could increase the fee to compensate.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 8th 2012 at 2:34 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 4:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

My PR card expires in June 2013. Can someone tell me how far in advance I should apply to renew? I'm likely to be in the UK at the expiry date.

I'm not applying for citizenship. It's not worth the bother and expense. I spend a lot of time outside Canada, and I won't be eligible for citizenship in time. I'm only in Canada for another two and a half years, before I go back to the UK, so I'll only have to renew my PR card once.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:16 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

You could just apply for a renewal now. You just swap the old PR card for new when it is delivered to a local CIC office. Assuming you will meet the residence obligations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/prcard.asp

Last edited by BTJ; Jan 8th 2012 at 8:20 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:12 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
You could just apply for a renewal now. You just swap the old PR card for new when it is delivered to a local CIC office. Assuming you will meet the residence obligations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/prcard.asp
Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll do that.