Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waldorf is closing, because Vancouver isn't boring enough already

Waldorf is closing, because Vancouver isn't boring enough already

Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:28 pm
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Waldorf is closing, because Vancouver isn't boring enough already

WEll I guess that is TRUE!! anyway the vancouver you describe is not the one I know, or experience when I visit friends and family or the one I lived in. more like skanky dinner parties, kareoke and dirt cheap pho on nanaimo. you describe kits perfectly however
Old Jan 10th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I guess it's only worth it when they sell it as they say.

Must admit I'd rather live in a larger property that's worth less than a smaller property that's worth 20x what mine is worth. You enjoy the property while you are alive.

Property prices is something which has put me off looking out west during my time here.
I am so with you! My husband wasn't really all that bothered where he 'came home to' as such as long as it was to Canada. How could I say to our son, welcome to Vanvouver, where your father was born and we will now all share a one bedroomed flat! That being said my husband has a colleague with a one bedroomed house? In Calgary that he's just bought for $750,000 the world has gone quite mad!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:08 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee
WEll I guess that is TRUE!! anyway the vancouver you describe is not the one I know, or experience when I visit friends and family or the one I lived in. more like skanky dinner parties, kareoke and dirt cheap pho on nanaimo. you describe kits perfectly however

Oh MegRob. What I'm describing is slowly creeping east. Trust. Even Nanaimo has wanky condos now and has renamed itself "East Village" (eyeroll) with artisan bakeries, yoga studios, unnecessarily expensive and posey restaurants and other hipsteriness.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Oh MegRob. What I'm describing is slowly creeping east. Trust. Even Nanaimo has wanky condos now and has renamed itself "East Village" (eyeroll) with artisan bakeries, yoga studios, unnecessarily expensive and posey restaurants and other hipsteriness.
Lets hope it moves East quicker than you think, I could build an outside loo and market it as a "quaint rural getaway", maybe include a filofax in with the sale and it's a done deal
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:14 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Lets hope it moves East quicker than you think, I could build an outside loo and market it as a "quaint rural getaway", maybe include a filofax in with the sale and it's a done deal
It's going to have to be a fast creep to get this far East! See you got to the magic 10, ! Well done!
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit I'd rather live in a larger property that's worth less than a smaller property that's worth 20x what mine is worth. You enjoy the property while you are alive.

Property prices is something which has put me off looking out west during my time here.
I look at it the other way around. I'd rather live in a smaller property where I want to live than a large property where I don't. I am not trying to knock the East Coast. I have never been and I might like it as well. But I do like it out here and am happy to make the compromise.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:16 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
That would be a quaint rural getaway with an office.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:22 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I look at it the other way around. I'd rather live in a smaller property where I want to live than a large property where I don't. I am not trying to knock the East Coast. I have never been and I might like it as well. But I do like it out here and am happy to make the compromise.
+1

Based on discussion with east coast friends, it's even more boring and parochial over there. Even I have my limits.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:23 pm

I really am bummed about this closure.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/01/09...-waldorf-hotel

The hotel, built in 1949, had fallen into disrepair when Waldorf Productions took over the space in 2010 and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in renovations, according to hotel brand director Danny Fazio.

“We were just starting to see the fruits of our labours and so it’s really devastating,” he lamented, adding 60 staff will be laid off while two of his business partners are losing their apartments.

“The irony isn’t lost on us that we drew attention to the area and made it desirable — and that attention is basically what’s getting us pushed out.”

He said the hotel owner told Waldorf Productions the building had been sold to condo developer Solterra Group of Companies.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:24 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
There again they could be buying one of these in London Battersea Power Station.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-6m-each.html

$9.5 million and you dont even get a view of the mountains
Funny cos my wife grew up on the Ethelburger Estate in Battersea, just down the road and it had a similar view. Slightly less pricey

Only two weeks ago i was chatting to a fella in the Railway who worked in the Waldorf. He shouted a lot.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jan 10th 2013 at 5:30 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 5:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Well I won't get in a pissing war of east v west, as you say the important thing is liking where you are....as you do and I do. I've looked west for a 'change' and a 'change of climate' but the cost is restrictive. Part of it is what you get used to I suppose. In two moves within Canada we have gone from over 4000sqft living space to 2500sqft living space and wouldn't want to compromise down any more than that.

I do like the look of the climate out there but the cost of moving would be prohibitive to me. We have friends and family here and I like where we are now but do get itchy feet sometimes. Like you, I have never been in the opposite direction so have no grounds to judge the comparative merits.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I really am bummed about this closure.

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2013/01/09...-waldorf-hotel

The hotel, built in 1949, had fallen into disrepair when Waldorf Productions took over the space in 2010 and spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in renovations, according to hotel brand director Danny Fazio.

“We were just starting to see the fruits of our labours and so it’s really devastating,” he lamented, adding 60 staff will be laid off while two of his business partners are losing their apartments.

“The irony isn’t lost on us that we drew attention to the area and made it desirable — and that attention is basically what’s getting us pushed out.”

He said the hotel owner told Waldorf Productions the building had been sold to condo developer Solterra Group of Companies.
Where will all the scenesters go? Its madness.
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Well I won't get in a pissing war of east v west, as you say the important thing is liking where you are....as you do and I do. I've looked west for a 'change' and a 'change of climate' but the cost is restrictive. Part of it is what you get used to I suppose. In two moves within Canada we have gone from over 4000sqft living space to 2500sqft living space and wouldn't want to compromise down any more than that.

I do like the look of the climate out there but the cost of moving would be prohibitive to me. We have friends and family here and I like where we are now but do get itchy feet sometimes. Like you, I have never been in the opposite direction so have no grounds to judge the comparative merits.
I will the middle is better
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Where will all the scenesters go? Its madness.
I know that's what I was thinking.

They finally found a safe place and now it's gone
Old Jan 10th 2013, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
I will the middle is better
I'd like access to the seaside. The middle isn't great for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.