Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Voltage convertor for selected items

Voltage convertor for selected items

Old Oct 29th 2013, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Adrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to beholdAdrian12 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Voltage convertor for selected items

that's about 2 km from where i work - will check it out , cheers
Old Oct 29th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
How does the wattage work? Most UK kettles need 2300 watts... even off th 240v line... (admittedly my knowledge on this gets confused in about two seconds, Mr SchnookoLoly knows way more about this stuff, and he said not to bother with the kettle because you'd definitely have to run a 240v line, but the wattage still is a problem...)
A 2300W kettle would draw approximately 20A on a 110~120V AC circuit, as most Canadian receptacles are on a 15A circuit breaker the breaker would trip every time you turn the kettle on (one would hope).
Old Oct 29th 2013, 10:28 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
A 2300W kettle would draw approximately 20A on a 110~120V AC circuit, as most Canadian receptacles are on a 15A circuit breaker the breaker would trip every time you turn the kettle on (one would hope).
yep... but we consider V=IR and wattage is W=Vi
given its resistve heating we know R is constant we'll cal it Rc (25 ohms)

So for 240V = i x Rc which is the same as 120v = i/2 x Rc

as W = Vi at 240v ~ i=9.6A and at 120v ~ i=4.8A giving you a power consumption of 552 Watts

So you fit the "don't do this" as you have no clue.....
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:39 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Originally Posted by MikeUK

as W = Vi at 240v ~ i=9.6A and at 120v ~ i=4.8A giving you a power consumption of 552 Watts

I think the two of you are answering different questions.

Mike, in your scenario you're plugging a UK kettle rated at 2300W for a 240V circuit into a Canadian 120V outlet. Sure, 2300W at 240V draws around 10A, and has a resistance of around 24ohms. The same heating element on a domestic 120V circuit would draw around 5A and consume only 600W.

This is why some members have commented that hair tongs etc take forever to heat up here - they're using only about a quarter of the power they'd consume on a UK circuit.

What ArthurBrit is saying is that you can't get a 2300W kettle in a Canadian hardware store, because 2300W at 120V would draw nearly 20A, which would trip a breaker every time you switch it on. Kettles for sale in Canadian stores typically consume around 1500W and draw around 12A or so. Which is why it takes longer to make a cup of tea here.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 5:22 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think the two of you are answering different questions.

Mike, in your scenario you're plugging a UK kettle rated at 2300W for a 240V circuit into a Canadian 120V outlet. Sure, 2300W at 240V draws around 10A, and has a resistance of around 24ohms. The same heating element on a domestic 120V circuit would draw around 5A and consume only 600W.

This is why some members have commented that hair tongs etc take forever to heat up here - they're using only about a quarter of the power they'd consume on a UK circuit.

What ArthurBrit is saying is that you can't get a 2300W kettle in a Canadian hardware store, because 2300W at 120V would draw nearly 20A, which would trip a breaker every time you switch it on. Kettles for sale in Canadian stores typically consume around 1500W and draw around 12A or so. Which is why it takes longer to make a cup of tea here.
It was my interpretation of the reply to the UK 2300watt kettle by SchnookoLoly, but I can see now how I could have got the wrong end of that.

FWIW A 2300Watt unit (if you could buy one) could still run on 120v but you’d need a 20A socket, which aren’t actually that uncommon and even come with GFI built in [20 amp GFCI (T-Slot), 20 amp breaker and 12 gauge cable would meet Ontario building code]
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK

When I first went to post I did start to write out ohms law and all the theory behind it, then I went into each example of having A British kettle in Canada versus a Canadian kettle with the same rating.

After about 6 paragraphs and still not being finished I read back what I had written and realized that this was a bit overkill for BE so just stuck to the first paragraph!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Has the http://www.voltageconverters.ca website disappeared?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:11 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Has the http://www.voltageconverters.ca website disappeared?
looks like it's down

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.c...econverters.ca