Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visiting Vancouver in March..help with social work jobs?

Visiting Vancouver in March..help with social work jobs?

Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

jill100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Vancouver in March..help with social work jobs?

Hello everyone,

I am 27 yrs old and a qualified social worker with almost three yrs experience. I live in the UK and have always had a thing for Canada I have been to Toronto/ Windsor a few times and have some family out there. At the end of this month I am visiting Vancouver for a few weeks

I am at the very early stages of looking into moving to Canada. I know that social work is on the list of desired occupations. I don't know anyone out west but Vancouver appeals to me more than Toronto. I guess I won't know for sure until I see Vancouver, but it looks amazing. Does anyone know where I could meet someone face-to-face to get some free advice on social work **********? Even advice on living in Vancouver in general?

Any help would be great

Thanks,

Jill
Old Mar 8th 2012, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Vancouver in March..help with social work jobs?

Originally Posted by jill100
Hello everyone,

I am 27 yrs old and a qualified social worker with almost three yrs experience. I live in the UK and have always had a thing for Canada I have been to Toronto/ Windsor a few times and have some family out there. At the end of this month I am visiting Vancouver for a few weeks

I am at the very early stages of looking into moving to Canada. I know that social work is on the list of desired occupations. I don't know anyone out west but Vancouver appeals to me more than Toronto. I guess I won't know for sure until I see Vancouver, but it looks amazing. Does anyone know where I could meet someone face-to-face to get some free advice on social work **********? Even advice on living in Vancouver in general?

Any help would be great

Thanks,

Jill
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You are correct that Social Workers are on the list of eligible occupations for FSW visas, although do bear in mind that the list is due to change on 1st July so they may not be on there after that date.

Do also check up on what you'll need to work in Canada as a social worker - I have a vague recollection you'll need a masters in it, but could have that wrong. A quick forum search should reveal what kind of equivalency exams etc you'll need to sit, and any other requirements.

Hopefully some social workers will be along to help shortly, best of luck with it all.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

jill100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply. Does the list change every year? It would be great to speak to some Social Workers who have already been through the process....so fingers crossed someone stumbles across this post

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on Social Work qualifications I hope that my degree would meet the requirements. I did try to find out about the qualifications required through an online search but it seems you have to complete an assessment form & pay a fee

Thanks again for your help

Jill
Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:04 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jill100
Thanks for your reply. Does the list change every year? It would be great to speak to some Social Workers who have already been through the process....so fingers crossed someone stumbles across this post

I tried searching the forums but couldn't find anything on Social Work qualifications I hope that my degree would meet the requirements. I did try to find out about the qualifications required through an online search but it seems you have to complete an assessment form & pay a fee

Thanks again for your help

Jill
Fire away with questions about van>>>start with this but is a bit out of date.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...r+confidential
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

hi! Social Worker here. Have a diploma, undergraduate and masters degree in social work (born here in Canada).

To hold the title of 'social worker', most provinces will require a social work degree. Not a psychology degree or a sociology degree. The title of 'social worker' is protected in most provinces the same way registered nurse is protected... currently in Canada, a social worker (registered as such with their province) will hold a four year undergraduate degree in social work from a recognized university, or a masters degree in social work.

To work in 'social services' (more like social care) you can hold a diploma in social work (from college, not university) and/or a degree in a field similar to, but not social work (psych, sociology). There are opportunities as both a formal (registered) social worker and as an unregistered social service worker. The titles are protected (at least in Ontario). A social worker (registered) would tend to gravitate more towards work that requires the formal qualification (Child Welfare, Hospital) while a social service worker can work across a multitude of agencies (shelters, advocacy agencies, employment services, mental health, disabilities, etc.)

(note) some provinces, towns and cities will allow non-social workers to work in child protection, if you have equivalent education or experience. Hospitals require at least a BSW but most require an MSW. Depending on where you go, if there are fewer formally-trained social workers, your chances of working in these roles is increased. In big cities (with schools of social work in them) the opportunities are tougher for people who aren't social work grads. Watch out for areas that feel they can ask for bilingual workers, too. That only makes employment that much harder (sometimes Toronto, definitely Ottawa).

Hope that helps! Do look at the professional association for Social Workers in British Columbia. It is a good idea to register with the province you hope to work in, but it isn't mandatory the way that GSCC is in the UK.

Let me know if you have further questions and good luck!

Lilibet

Last edited by Lilipuddlian; Apr 24th 2012 at 6:34 pm.