Car Insurance

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Allycatnip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

Hi guys

I will be moving across in August and tried to look at some online quotes for car insurances to get an idea about potential costs. I find it really difficult to get quotes when stating that I have a foreign licence.

When you guys first moved to Canada did you find it hard to find car insurance using your foreign licences or did you apply for a canadian licence straight away??

Looking forward to hear about your experiences.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Allycatnip
Hi guys

I will be moving across in August and tried to look at some online quotes for car insurances to get an idea about potential costs. I find it really difficult to get quotes when stating that I have a foreign licence.

When you guys first moved to Canada did you find it hard to find car insurance using your foreign licences or did you apply for a canadian licence straight away??

A destination i.e. Province where you will be living might help.
Some provinces have private insurers others are Govt run and rates will vary.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

We will be moving to Ontario
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry couldnt resist it. Be in for a shock when you initially receive quotes.
Someone will post which companies will accept UK no claims bonus etc.
Ontario is rather a large province as well no good recommending an agent in Markham if destined to Thunder Bay
Hold on tight someone will be along and Ontario is private insurance so you need to shop around. Get statements from previous UK insurers before you arrive to show insurers over here.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Are you a dentist?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

Sorry couldnt resist it. Be in for a shock when you initially receive quotes.
Someone will post which companies will accept UK no claims bonus etc.
Ontario is rather a large province as well no good recommending an agent in Markham if destined to Thunder Bay
We had a quote for $5000 which was the cheapest *lol*

We will be moving to Toronto.

Get statements from previous UK insurers before you arrive to show insurers over here.
Thanks for that, we will definitely do that!
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys

I wouldnt bother trying to get an online quotation. They're not really set up for online business like they are in the UK. There are some systems that are similar, but it's nowhere near the same.
I would bank on spending around $150 a month as a rough ball park, assuming you have full UK no claims experience.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Are you a dentist?
No I will be a post grad student and my partner is a multimedia manager.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jericho
I wouldnt bother trying to get an online quotation. They're not really set up for online business like they are in the UK. There are some systems that are similar, but it's nowhere near the same.
I would bank on spending around $150 a month as a rough ball park, assuming you have full UK no claims experience.
My partner has a UK licence with no claims. I have a full German/ EU licence to make matters more complicated.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My partner has a UK licence with no claims. I have a full German/ EU licence to make matters more complicated.
When I last immigrated to Ontario I found that Zurich Insurance (Canada) accepted my German no claims record (I had a letter from Signal Versicherung GmbH as proof).

I have a nasty feeling though that Zurich no longer has a presence here. But it's worth checking.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As a matter of interest you might want to read this regarding driving and TO.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2.../19664861.html
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

lol nice article.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Browse thee threads
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...urance+ontario
Old Apr 24th 2012, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Those are really interesting and helpful. Thanks