Reload this Page >

Visiting Girlfriend

Visiting Girlfriend

Old Aug 27th 2002, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Pat2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting Girlfriend

Hi guys,

I'm a British citizen and I'll be going over to Canada again soon to visit for the second time, the first time was only for 10 days in April earlier this year. I'm worried about not being honest since I don't want to foul anything up. When they ask me where I am staying I plan on just saying I'm staying with a friend.

This time I'm planning on staying for three weeks, do they usually default the visitor visa to three months irrespective on when your return ticket is? If this will be the last time I'll be allowed in as a visitor I'll probably want to stay for as long as I can.

I'm currently working abroad in Hongkong but find myself in a position to take time off work. I'm currently looking into getting a job offer in Canada through contacts (doesn't sound too likely though) or maybe doing a year of study (a masters maybe).

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give,
Cheers, Mark
Old Aug 27th 2002, 7:14 pm
The Wizzard

Default Re: Visiting Girlfriend

not sure i understand wher eyou are coming from. Do you intend to not leave Canada
get married and apply inland and that is why you dont want to say you are staying
with yoru girlfriend incase you are asked direct questions and have to lie? It sounds
to me like you jsut want to go there on holiday, in which case you dont have to lie.
If you are a genuine visitor you should be fine. I have been to Canada as a british
citizen to see my wife when she was my girlfriend, fiancee and wife on several
occasions and have not had any need to lie as i was a genuine visitor with the
intention of leaving. Is they ask you if you intend to stay in Canada or apply for PR
jsut say no and illustrate your ties back home. I explained that i was still at
university in the UK and so had to return to continue my studies, and they didnt even
ask to see my student ID which i had etc. they almost always made some mention to PR
like "do you intend moving here one day" or "are you moving here or is she moving to
the UK" only twice was i asked directly if i intended to apply for PR. but i was jsut
honest explained i was intending to apply for PR but not till i graduated etc and
they were fine. the visits ranged from 2 weeks to 4 weeks to 3 months and not on any
occasion did they stamp any fixed date to leave by, all stamps were just plain
ordinary entry stamps good for 6 months.

Drew

"Pat2" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys,
    > I'm a British citizen and I'll be going over to Canada again soon to visit for the
    > second time, the first time was only for 10 days in April earlier this year. I'm
    > worried about not being honest since I don't want to foul anything up. When they
    > ask me where I am staying I plan on just saying I'm staying with a friend.
    > This time I'm planning on staying for three weeks, do they usually default the
    > visitor visa to three months irrespective on when your return ticket is? If this
    > will be the last time I'll be allowed in as a visitor I'll probably want to stay
    > for as long as I can.
    > I'm currently working abroad in Hongkong but find myself in a position to take time
    > off work. I'm currently looking into getting a job offer in Canada through contacts
    > (doesn't sound too likely though) or maybe doing a year of study (a masters maybe).
    > Thanks for reading and any advice you can give, Cheers, Mark
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 28th 2002, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much Drew

I don't intend to move to Canada as a PR just yet, I guess I'm a little nervous after reading some of these posts. I have a job here but will be trying my best to find a job and a work permit in Canada asap. So basically I could come and go without too many questions asked? I'm going slightly mad not being able to be with her, she spent a while with me here and I miss her very much
Old Aug 28th 2002, 5:41 pm
The Wizzard

basicaly yes. they can still deny you entry if they dont think you are a genuine
visitor, as they can with anyoen wanting to enter as a visitor. You just have to
convince them you are genuine, and if you are a genuine visitor then normally you are
relaxed have your good reasons etc and all is fine. People trying to pretend they are
just visiting when they really intend to stay often appear obvious to the immigration
officer who will see it all the time, nervousness, uneasy appearance, flushed and
fast heart rate etc.

Drew

> Thanks very much Drew
    > I don't intend to move to Canada as a PR just yet, I guess I'm a little nervous
    > after reading some of these posts. I have a job here but will be trying my best
    > to find a job and a work permit in Canada asap. So basically I could come and go
    > without too many questions asked? I'm going slightly mad not being able to be with
    > her, she spent a while with me here and I miss her very much
    > --

Old Aug 30th 2002, 10:05 am
Just Joined

Well I'm pretty nervous at the best of times I remember being nervous last time which was my first visit and you're right I don't intend to overstay or apply for PR inland.

Proving I have enough funds maybe a issue since I normally just take money out of the wall when I get there. Any idea how much CAD in travelers cheques I would need for 3 weeks as a minimum? I'm looking forward to the trip now!
Old Aug 30th 2002, 5:26 pm
The Wizzard

you dont need too much, when i first went to Canada to visit my (now) wife i was
going for 3 months over the summer and they pulled me in to ask me etc and i didnt
have that much in ready money (cash travellers cheques etc) maybe 5 or 6 hundred but
i also showed i had my ATM card that worked in Canad and a credit card so that
satisfied them i could get more funds if i needed them. However on my trips when i
have stated i am visiting my fiancee or more recently my wife i have been asked if i
intended to apply for PR but after that they have never asked anything further or for
me to prove any money or funds etc. Possibly it is on my record with them that they
had an indepth interview with me a few years ago and were satisifed i was a genuine
visitor who knows. never have any hassle after that first trip.

Drew

> Well I'm pretty nervous at the best of times I remember being nervous last time
    > which was my first visit and you're right I don't intend to overstay or apply for
    > PR inland.
    > Proving I have enough funds maybe a issue since I normally just take money out of
    > the wall when I get there. Any idea how much CAD in travelers cheques I would need
    > for 3 weeks as a minimum? I'm looking forward to the trip now!
    > --