Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visiting Canada on own

Visiting Canada on own

Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice
Default Visiting Canada on own

Going out to New Brunswick at end of month, my partner cant come out because we cant find someone to have the 4 kids for a week, my mate was going to come out with me but thought it would be unfair for him to trape round whilst I have interviews ect..
Just wondered if anyone has done it on there own, bit daunting the thought of it, especially as I'm probably going to fly into Boston and drive up to New Brunswick so could be a lonely 8 hour drive.

any tips to keep sane
Chris
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

celtic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond reputeceltic warrior has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Canada on own

Originally Posted by englishintruder
Going out to New Brunswick at end of month, my partner cant come out because we cant find someone to have the 4 kids for a week, my mate was going to come out with me but thought it would be unfair for him to trape round whilst I have interviews ect..
Just wondered if anyone has done it on there own, bit daunting the thought of it, especially as I'm probably going to fly into Boston and drive up to New Brunswick so could be a lonely 8 hour drive.

any tips to keep sane
Chris

Dont know if it's much help, but i was in a similar position, I went on a reccie trip to Nova Scotia, in Sept. 07 on my own, as we could'nt get anyone to watch our three kids. Therefore, she who must be obeyed, had to stay home with the kids while i had to go myself

I went with Fly zoom(who) Although i felt a bit uneasy about going myself, i really enjoyed it while over there. Three hours after landing, and my nerves getting the better of me, i decided to venture in to one of the local watering holes, i thought to myself, i will just have a quick one, then go back to the hotel

I was there for about 4 hours ! everybody wanted to chat and find out where i was from and why i was there.

Although only a drink, it re-enforced my thoughts that Canada was indeed the place i wanted to bring up my young family. You get arseholes in any walk of life, and i'm sure canada has a few aswell, but they seem to have less than other countries i have visited.

It will be a challenge, in going yourslef, but one you should embrace, and know that it is for the betterment of your family.

Best wishes in whatever you do.

CW.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

any tips to keep sane
Chris
Hi Chris. We went for a reccie to New Brunswick - Fredericton last October. We took our kids with but it was hard at times. Frederecton is full of very friendly welcoming people I am sure once you arrive your nerves will vanish. We are planning on moving there this summer, let us know how you get on. Jo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:50 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

any tips to keep sane
Chris
Flew out myself on my own for interviews. Then spent 6 months living here again on my own before family joined me. Any specific questions let me know.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

any tips to keep sane
Chris
Hi Chris,
If you are in Fredericton give us a shout if you want to meet up or anything and if you are here for the 31st you are welcome to come along to the newcomers monthly pub night

All the best with your trip,
Sinead
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I came out last Feb and left dh at home working and babysitting the dogs, had no problems and found everyone so friendly
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

englishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really niceenglishintruder is just really nice

Originally Posted by sinurt
Hi Chris,
If you are in Fredericton give us a shout if you want to meet up or anything and if you are here for the 31st you are welcome to come along to the newcomers monthly pub night

All the best with your trip,
Sinead

Thanks for the invite,.Be nice to meet some people on here.

Looking at 24th till 29th now, Dont you just hate how flights prices change by the hour

Now Im going to look like one of them people making posts just for attention

My sister in law has now said she will have the 3 older kids, just got to take my 4month old. (and the sister in law shopping for a weeks supply)
Do you think it will be to cold for her or shall I take her?
Whats the weather looking like for next few weeks?
Chris
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:08 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I have travelled a fair bit on my own. I love it and I think I prefer it. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want (and no one has to know ).

I know a few people who, once they've travelled solo (often by necessity and not choice), often start planning more solo holidays. There is no other way of truely getting away from it ALL then being all alone in a strange land. It's surprisingly very pleasant Zen-like, liminal experience, ime. So, beware! You might enjoy it.

Crank the tunes, put it in drive and enjoy the trip!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

I had to go on a reccie to the BC interior by myself last April.

Everything was fine, people were really friendly. I made a plan before I went so hubby would know where I was and I wasn't left wondering what to do each day. I made sure I had appointments set up before I left , accomodation and car prebooked, found out a couple of places to eat that were near to where I would be staying.

Eating alone wasn't a problem and people would always talk to you if you wanted them to. It was nice to look at exactly what I wanted to aswell! As a mum you always seem to be compromising to make sure everyone else gets to do what they want to, so that was very refreshing!

I wouldn't worry, just have a good plan!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the invite,.Be nice to meet some people on here.

Looking at 24th till 29th now, Dont you just hate how flights prices change by the hour

Now Im going to look like one of them people making posts just for attention

My sister in law has now said she will have the 3 older kids, just got to take my 4month old. (and the sister in law shopping for a weeks supply)
Do you think it will be to cold for her or shall I take her?
Whats the weather looking like for next few weeks?
Chris
Just let me know when you will be here and we can arrange something
It's really up to you if you want to bring your 4 month old or not, it will probably be cold but if you are thinking of moving here then you will all need to get used to it anyway - just bring lots of warm clothes
The temps are very up and down here at the min, 0 today but a high of -20 on Fri!!! After this weekend though the weather is showing it to be nice and sunny though and anywhere from 1 to -10 but that could change!!