Reload this Page >

Visa/TWP for self-funded 4-week placement

Visa/TWP for self-funded 4-week placement

Old Jun 6th 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Valkyrie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa/TWP for self-funded 4-week placement

Hi all

After searching the net high and low and trying (and failing) to find a way to contact the Immigration Office, I hope that someone here has an idea regarding this rather specific issue.

I have applied for a 4-week mental health nursing placement with various hospitals/health authorities in BC and AB.
This splacement would be solely self-funded.
Now if one of the authorities is willing to accommodate me next year, I believe I would need a TWP. Now, because the duration is only a month, I guess it could be difficult to meet all the needs, such as SI-number, processing time approx. 3 weeks, while already in the country?
As this placement is not an essential requirement for my programme, I cannot really go down the exchange student route, I guess??

Any ideas and help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Julia
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa/TWP for self-funded 4-week placement

if u are not being paid and not doing work that would otherwise be filled by a canadian who would be paid, you probably dont need a visa.

I suspect that if you turned up at the airport saying that you had arrived to do an unpaid work placement you would be asked a lot of questions by the officials. Perhaps a letter from the placement detailing exactly the nature of your placement/work experience and specifying that you will be shadowing etc and not doing meaningfull work (that a canadian would normally be paid for) you might be ok.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:54 am
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

It sounds to me that a study permit may be more appropriate than a work permit.
You will not get a work permit if your 'employer' is not paying the going rate for the job - which they are not unless Canadians do this work voluntarily!
Try looking to see what the pre-requisites are for a short term study visa, but I suspect that you would need to show that your host was a recognised education provider?
There might be a voluntary work category somewhere? Or if this is arranged in conjunction with a UK educational establishment or company there ay be no visa requirement.
At the end of the day, if you are not getting paid, turn up at the airport with proof of accommodation and a return ticket and leave within the limits of a tourist visa, who is to say that you do not choose the spend you vacation hanging around in a ward???
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Valkyrie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I might have the solution to the problem as one of the Canadian Health Authorities would offer my Uni an Affiliation Agreement (Educational).
I guess that could make this case a bit easier.
All depends on my Uni now.

Julia