Fancy a Pint

Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice
Default Fancy a Pint

We have been in Nova Scotia for 16 Months now, in general everything is begining to settle down and life is moving forward. There are a few things we miss from the old country, but now we can cross one off the list.

Just found a pub in DT Halifax called the Henry House, it sells locally brewed beer from the granite brewery that is brewed to a British recipie. I had 3 pints the other weekend and was in 7th heaven.

Peculiar is 5.6% and based on the old peculiar recipe, it doesnt taste as sweet as the original, but is all the same a great pint.

The Best Bitter is as good as any ive tasted in the UK and at 4.3% is a good tasting full bodied pint.

They do several other brews but my capacity seems to have gone down a little through lack of practice,

The food is very good as well, my lad was allowed in the pub till 9pm or the dining room all night.

Oh and the price per pint, from $5.50 to $6 per pint (yes real pint glasses) for this quality worth the price
Old Jun 4th 2009, 5:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fancy a Pint

Originally Posted by Snort
We have been in Nova Scotia for 16 Months now, in general everything is begining to settle down and life is moving forward. There are a few things we miss from the old country, but now we can cross one off the list.

Just found a pub in DT Halifax called the Henry House, it sells locally brewed beer from the granite brewery that is brewed to a British recipie. I had 3 pints the other weekend and was in 7th heaven.

Peculiar is 5.6% and based on the old peculiar recipe, it doesnt taste as sweet as the original, but is all the same a great pint.

The Best Bitter is as good as any ive tasted in the UK and at 4.3% is a good tasting full bodied pint.

They do several other brews but my capacity seems to have gone down a little through lack of practice,

The food is very good as well, my lad was allowed in the pub till 9pm or the dining room all night.

Oh and the price per pint, from $5.50 to $6 per pint (yes real pint glasses) for this quality worth the price
The IPA is good too.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The IPA is good too.
After extensive sampling t'other week I thought the IPA was the best of the bunch. Noted the Halifax location for next time I'm there.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

montpro is an unknown quantity at this point

Music to my ears, I moving to Halifax :-)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

And for anyone moving to NB Picaroons brew British style ales too - their summer beer Dooryard is particularly good They are available in the liquor stores here and in most pubs (in Fredericton anyway)
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:00 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Snort,

OH was talking about PMing you soon for a bit of IMP info. After reading this then I'm sure he would be interested in joining you for a pint of Peculiar .

Karen

Last edited by kazbob; Jun 4th 2009 at 7:31 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

In search of a mans pub in Kamloops BC on our last reccie I found a "redneck" kind of place....excellent, that was until I asked for a real ale or a dark beer, the barmaid gave me a dark beer that was OK, but when she asked me how I found it I truthfully told her it was nice but it should be room temp not ice cold like the lagers........phew, you would have though I had refused to pay or something, the guys at the bar jumped to the barmaids defence telling her to take no notice of me and that she sold the finest dark beer around and If I didnt like it to go elsewhere etc. No amount of explaining helped and disappointed at the locals extreme reaction to my innocent/truthful and advisory comment I left with my tail between my legs.

I am not there yet (actually going to Penticton instead now....not because of this incident), however, I will miss my British pint! maybe there is a niche for expats micro breweries to spring up eh?
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skyturner
In search of a mans pub in Kamloops BC on our last reccie I found a "redneck" kind of place....excellent, that was until I asked for a real ale or a dark beer, the barmaid gave me a dark beer that was OK, but when she asked me how I found it I truthfully told her it was nice but it should be room temp not ice cold like the lagers........phew, you would have though I had refused to pay or something, the guys at the bar jumped to the barmaids defence telling her to take no notice of me and that she sold the finest dark beer around and If I didnt like it to go elsewhere etc. No amount of explaining helped and disappointed at the locals extreme reaction to my innocent/truthful and advisory comment I left with my tail between my legs.

I am not there yet (actually going to Penticton instead now....not because of this incident), however, I will miss my British pint! maybe there is a niche for expats micro breweries to spring up eh?
Beware of bars/taverns that offer a 'frosty' glass......There also seems to be the mis-guided impression that 'dark' beer = beer with a high alcohol content.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 8:21 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Beware of bars/taverns that offer a 'frosty' glass......There also seems to be the mis-guided impression that 'dark' beer = beer with a high alcohol content.
Oh dear. I can't be spending enough time in bars. I always thought frosty glasses were for domestic, cold fizzy beer and never even thought about the dark side of things. Must get down to the Henry House next time in in Halifax.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:38 am
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Fancy a Pint

I must sample some of that while the OH is out shopping.Cheers for the info
Does the price in bars include tax?I cant remember
Old Jun 5th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

mr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud ofmr.mac has much to be proud of

What's the real ale/beer and real cider like in Toronto/GTA? Any ideas

i'm seriously craving a after reading all the above
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:18 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

this sounds good for us, may pop in next week
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:27 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr.mac
What's the real ale/beer and real cider like in Toronto/GTA? Any ideas

i'm seriously craving a after reading all the above
dbd33 will be along in a moment to comment but the Granite Brewery (there is one in Toronto as well as Halifax) at Mt Pleasant and Eglington does good beer as commented upon up thread.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Jun 5th 2009 at 11:58 am.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
dbd33 will be along in a moment to comment but I the Granite Brewery (there is one in Toronto as well as Halifax) at Mt Pleasant and Eglington does good beer as commented upon up thread.
You said "pint"?

- you're pretty much stuffed on the cider, I think the Woolwich has a local cider on draft but it's in Guelph (lovely pub but hardly convenient). Otherwise it's Strongbow or Magner's. Note that "cider" in conversation usually means apple juice, if offered cider at a barbeque or similar you probably don't want it.

- there are several dodgy faux English pub chains; the * & Firkin is one, the Duke of * another (except the Duke of Gloucester on Yonge just south of Bloor, it was in the chain but the regulars bought it out and it`s now a diamond boozer).

- there are also some local breweries that make a fuss about being independent but to my palate offer approximately the same piss the unhyphenated people drink; Robert Simpson is the worst but neither Sleeman nor Steam Whistle are great breweries. Creemore products seem much better to me.

- there are several pubs offering imported ales (Fullers has a strong presence) and/or local ales brewed in the style of beer (Wellington and Gritstone are two readily available ones). I like the Feathers, perhaps because I lived close to it for years. On the yuppie end of the spectrum I can tolerate the Biermarkt but nothing would get me back into the ludicrously up itself Beer Bistro. C'est What? has good beer but you likely want out before the music starts, the same is true for Allen's (NY style Irish place with Fullers ESB and others on tap). Volo has lots of good beer but note that the poster Bazzz paid $23 for a bottle of beer in there.

- If the LCBO isn't on strike when you're in Toronto (that's the quasi-communist liquor control mechanism through which the state grudgingly allows the sale of alcohol) try Cameron's Auburn Ale; it's from Oakville and yet is really very good.

More moderate and considered opinions available at short notice at the bar in the basement at Mono Cliffs Inn!
Old Jun 5th 2009, 4:33 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
it's from Oakville and yet is really very good.
Hahaha... see, there are some redeeming features of the suburban dystopia. Cameron's Auburn is a great session beer imho - not as bland as the industrial producers, but neither so over-complex as a lot of microbrewery stuff. I've not seen it anywhere on draft, but it's available in the Beer Store as well as LCBO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.