Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Victoria and outskirts

Victoria and outskirts

Old Mar 13th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold
Question Victoria and outskirts

Hi peeps, we are going to Vancouver Island in June, we've taken a 2 month furnished rental in Saanitch while we look for a long term rental. our original idea was that we would use this as a base while we 'roam' around Vancouver for the ideal place. question is - any ideas? we just want part time work so we've got a good work life balance but the OH loves fishing and I like cafe culture.

Plus - good god how expensive are the shipping agents?
our first quote was not far off £6k !! I dont think our stuff is worth that much!

Anybody living near Victoria who can give me some clues plz?
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:17 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria and outskirts

I don't think Saanich is a good base for researching Vancouver unless you meant Vancouver Island. You would have to take a 11/2 hr ferry ride just to get to the Lower Mainland so the trip door to destination is often closer to 3 hours.
If you meant Vancouver Island and intended to be within easy reach of Victoria then Saanich is a good start. We live there ourselves. Its a 15 to 20 minute commute to Victoria and similar to the airport or ferry.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
I don't think Saanich is a good base for researching Vancouver unless you meant Vancouver Island. You would have to take a 11/2 hr ferry ride just to get to the Lower Mainland so the trip door to destination is often closer to 3 hours.
If you meant Vancouver Island and intended to be within easy reach of Victoria then Saanich is a good start. We live there ourselves. Its a 15 to 20 minute commute to Victoria and similar to the airport or ferry.
Thanks Jim, of course I meant VI!!

in your opinion, would it be a good place to find pt work? I cook and Rob is looking for portering, security or handymanning ( ex police - looking for an easier life)
Old Mar 13th 2012, 9:21 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

we live in Mill Bay to the north of Victoria but not on the peninsular. 35 minutes into downtown Victoria. The advantage for us is that we are already on the "mainland" of the island for travelling north. Duncan (nearest city), has a reasonable cafe culture (ish) and a few nice restaurants in the area (Cowichan Valley). The beaches and views are wonderful. I'm not certain but I think you'll find house prices a little cheaper than the peninsular. It isn't as built up as Saanich so there is less of the "garden fence" culture. Feel free to PM me if you would like any specific information or advice.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
we live in Mill Bay to the north of Victoria but not on the peninsular. 35 minutes into downtown Victoria. The advantage for us is that we are already on the "mainland" of the island for travelling north. Duncan (nearest city), has a reasonable cafe culture (ish) and a few nice restaurants in the area (Cowichan Valley). The beaches and views are wonderful. I'm not certain but I think you'll find house prices a little cheaper than the peninsular. It isn't as built up as Saanich so there is less of the "garden fence" culture. Feel free to PM me if you would like any specific information or advice.
thank you, We cant wait to get over there!