Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing license reinstatement

Nursing license reinstatement

Old Mar 13th 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Nursing license reinstatement

My wife is trying to get her nursing license with the college of Ontario reinstated from the UK. They set her out a application pack and everything seemed straight forward - at first. After digesting more of the small print, it would appear that they want her to submit fingerprints - done at a relevant police department - and send them with her pack. She is to then complete the process after her arrival in Ontario, by submitting a police criminal check.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

She was an RN in Toronto from 96 to 03 and has since worked in the Glasgow Royal Infirmary from 04 'til present.

Thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing license reinstatement

Does your wife have a nursing degree? I heard that it was required now in Ontario. The reason I ask is that my wife is in the same situation. She trained as a RN in the UK (no degree) and worked as a RN in Toronto 1989-96. We are considering moving back to Ontario and we're wondering if she'll be able to get licensed again in Ontario easily (she's been working as an RN in the US for the past 13 years).
Old Mar 14th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Does your wife have a nursing degree? I heard that it was required now in Ontario. The reason I ask is that my wife is in the same situation. She trained as a RN in the UK (no degree) and worked as a RN in Toronto 1989-96. We are considering moving back to Ontario and we're wondering if she'll be able to get licensed again in Ontario easily (she's been working as an RN in the US for the past 13 years).
Hi there Ned. If your wife was previously registered with the College of Ontario and can prove that she has been working as an RN in the US (her supervisor will be asked to verify this so tell her not to give them the two fingers when she quits!) then she can apply for a reinstatement pack. She will not require a degree in nursing to do this. You are right though about new nurses requiring a degree to register, this is the case now in both the UK and Ontario.

The requirements of the reinstatement pack are becoming a pain, especially the police check. She received an Email yesterday from the College of Ontario requesting her to have finger prints done! Not the new electronic way - because that data isn't internationally transferable - but the old ink method, like a criminal! She needs to get in contact with Strathclyde Police to make an appointment. They are not interested in a criminal check from the UK, even though we've been here for 8 years - just finger prints!. She's to have a check done when we arrive back in Toronto. This doesn't hold up the application. Registration will be given prior to your relocation and you have a grace period after arrival to supply the check to them.

Hope that helps a bit. I'll keep you posted on how she gets on.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Tony, thanks for the info. Yes, my wife was previously licensed in Ontario. The reinstatement process does sound like a real pain. Is your wife a Canadian citizen? My wife is but I'm not sure whether that makes any difference at all in terms of the process.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

We have dual citizenship - UK and Canadian, passports and all - but it makes no difference to the reinstatement process, unfortunately.