Victoria, Bc

Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria, Bc

Originally Posted by Hawk13
For me, traffic and rush hour in Vancouver would top my list of reasons not to move there. I have better things to do than spend over an hour driving (crawling more like it) to work.

I guess if you were able to swing getting a job in White Rock (which is very nice by the way as I worked in that area for 3 years but our office was in Burnaby) and lived in White Rock it would change things.
This is a good reason as any to NOT to seek a commuting lifestyle in Vancouver. My recommendation? If you're going to live in Vancouver, live near where you work. Don't move to White Rock unless you can work near White Rock. Don't move to North Van if you aren't able to work near North Van. Etc.

Last edited by Lychee; Sep 7th 2012 at 5:55 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

laura.anne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, will keep these places in mind!!
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:11 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
This is a good reason as any to NOT to seek a commuting lifestyle in Vancouver. My recommendation? If you're going to live in Vancouver, live near where you work. Don't move to White Rock unless you can work near White Rock. Don't move to North Van if you aren't able to work near North Van. Etc.
I agree, if you live near your work, life is good here.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

For the newly wed or nearly dead is the saying.

I prefer it to Vancouver, at least as a place to live, it's less crowded.

On the other hand I thought Hwy 17 going in and out of downtown is poorly designed, two major intersections that really should be overpasses. At rush hour everything grinds to a halt.

The main problem I think with it is that you are living on an island, and that is a pain. There is no car ferry to Seattle (although there is a foot passenger ferry), you have to go to Port Angeles and drive a long way to get there (including more ferries usually), or you have to take the ferry to Tsawwassen which takes an hour and a half (plus possible fighting through traffic around Vancouver, depending on where you are going) so you can't just flit across whenever you feel like it, it is a bit of an undertaking.

There has been talk about building a bridge from Nanaimo but it won't happen soon: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/Publications...fixed_link.htm

So basically I wouldn't live there unless you're sure you can get a job there, which is the trick.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 6:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
To say it is isolated is just not true.
It is if you need to have a car with you. If you're okay taking a float plane to Vancouver then renting a car all the time (or doing your shopping downtown), fair enough, but that's expensive.

Admittedly I don't live there so there may be tricks to the transport I'm unfamiliar with, but I thought even getting to the airport from downtown Victoria was a hassle compared to getting to YYC from anywhere in Calgary.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:25 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It is if you need to have a car with you. If you're okay taking a float plane to Vancouver then renting a car all the time (or doing your shopping downtown), fair enough, but that's expensive.
Huh? You make it sound like there's no shops in Victoria. It's kinda like saying you live on "the UK island" and you fly to Europe for everything.

Last edited by Hawk13; Sep 7th 2012 at 7:25 pm. Reason: frickin quotes
Old Sep 7th 2012, 7:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Huh? You make it sound like there's no shops in Victoria. It's kinda like saying you live on "the UK island" and you fly to Europe for everything.
Can you fly direct to Europe from Victoria?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:59 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Can you fly direct to Europe from Victoria?
Try rereading the post and I'll simplify it for you

"It's kinda like saying you live in England and you fly to Europe for everything."

Better?
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Try rereading the post and I'll simplify it for you

"It's kinda like saying you live in England and you fly to Europe for everything."

Better?
Duh, fags and booze is cheaper in Europe.
Old Sep 7th 2012, 11:28 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by Oink
Duh, fags and booze is cheaper in Europe.
Double Duh, they're even cheaper on Indian reserves
Old Sep 8th 2012, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

vkt22 is an unknown quantity at this point

The saying Victoria is for nearly dated or newly weds is so dated. It's a vibrant city with lots going on, with many families and youngsters, and it's becoming more and more multicultural. As for things to do on the island in general, there is just SO MUCH to do.. where do you start? You have everything from spectacular nature and landscapes to shopping at local boutique stores. Restaurants are abundant (highest per capita) and I love the fact that tea is major here. It has to be the only city in Canada to celebrate tea so much. And every place and business has it's own character..
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:49 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
http://www.gvda.ca/EN/main/about/sta...ographics.html

"Greater Victoria is projected to age more rapidly than both the province and Metro Vancouver over the next 20 years, reaching a median age of 47.3 years in 2028.

In the national context, Greater Victoria had the highest median age among Canada's top 20 metropolitan areas in both the 2001 and 2006 Census. It also tied for the third largest increase in median age from 2001 to 2006, so it continued to age faster than most other metro areas in the country."

and further down:

"The share of employment income in Greater Victoria is lower than that for BC as a whole while the share of pension and investment income is higher, a reflection of the greater share of retirees in Greater Victoria."

Told you. Old people.
Originally Posted by vkt22
The saying Victoria is for nearly dated or newly weds is so dated. It's a vibrant city with lots going on, with many families and youngsters, and it's becoming more and more multicultural. As for things to do on the island in general, there is just SO MUCH to do.. where do you start? You have everything from spectacular nature and landscapes to shopping at local boutique stores. Restaurants are abundant (highest per capita) and I love the fact that tea is major here. It has to be the only city in Canada to celebrate tea so much. And every place and business has it's own character..
It's not dated, it's accurate and only going to become more so. Your own Greater VIctoria Development Agency (where I got the quoted information from) says so. You (general you) can argue your faces off about whether it's boring or not, but you can't deny the fact that it's an older-age city, demographically, than other parts of Canada, BC or Vancouver.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Sep 9th 2012 at 12:51 am.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:58 am
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
It's not dated, it's accurate and only going to become more so. Your own Greater VIctoria Development Agency (where I got the quoted information from) says so. You (general you) can argue your faces off about whether it's boring or not, but you can't deny the fact that it's an older-age city, demographically, than other parts of Canada, BC or Vancouver.
So, are you basing your comments on statistics you trolled off the internet and a friend that lived with the dumpster divers or have you ever lived there?

If you made all your decisions, especially ones on where to live, based on statistics life would be pretty boring. You should always rely on what everyone says on these boards
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:07 pm

So, are you basing your comments on statistics you trolled off the internet and a friend that lived with the dumpster divers or have you ever lived there?

If you made all your decisions, especially ones on where to live, based on statistics life would be pretty boring. You should always rely on what everyone says on these boards
Ah, the classic "i can't argue with your facts, so I'm going to attack you" argument.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

where to live, based on statistics life would be pretty boring. You should always rely on what everyone says on these boards
However statistics are based on a broader data sample than one or two peoples personal experience and opinion, I doubt any individual has counted the population age spread and see what they want to see or what they most readily associate with. They don't represent every person or scenario, however they are representative of the general populous.

http://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-re...ustom=&TABID=1

http://guidetobceconomy.org/bcs_econ...land-coast.htm

The saying 'Newly wed or nearly dead' is even used by the BC Govt. although surprisingly Nanaimo has a higher seniors population.

Whether there is a lot to do or not depends on what one likes to do. If one likes clubbing, an urban lifestyle and ease of traveling, then the island is likely not for them. If one likes the outdoors and is content with being on an island and the restrictions that brings, it may work. Many island residents I know rarely leave the island. I fly there frequently and have no problem going back and forth, costs me less than a ferry ride each way and takes less than half an hour, but not something I would ever want to do if I had to go by road & boat more than once a year and not on a holiday weekend. Years back you could just turn up at the ferry terminal and could almost always get on, now, unless you get there at least an hour early and even pay to reserve a spot, then you could be waiting for one or two sailings to get on. The bridge has been talked about for decades and personally don't think it will ever happen, most island residents I know are against it, they like the isolation the island gives them.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 9th 2012 at 5:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.