Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Old Sep 20th 2016, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Erika_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Thank you for the link! Just one question - why should I have my diploma assessed?

Évaluation comparative was not made for immigration, I just wanted to know how my degree can be compared to the one in Quebec. Now I know and there was no point in doing it.

I decided to go for MA (if 1. I am lucky enough to be among 12 out of 150 applicants 2. I survive my first winter in Montreal ), then PhD (vague and longterm). Probably I just don't need another assessment, but thank you anyway.

Last edited by Erika_; Sep 20th 2016 at 4:16 am.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 6:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very unhappy - please advise me what new major to choose in Canada (Montreal).

Originally Posted by Erika_
Thank you for the link! Just one question - why should I have my diploma assessed?

Évaluation comparative was not made for immigration, I just wanted to know how my degree can be compared to the one in Quebec. Now I know and there was no point in doing it.

I decided to go for MA (if 1. I am lucky enough to be among 12 out of 150 applicants 2. I survive my first winter in Montreal ), then PhD (vague and longterm). Probably I just don't need another assessment, but thank you anyway.
Because in an earlier post you said:
The main reason why I want to get a degree here is because my Master’s degree is not even considered here. I do not have a fancy degree from the UK, Australia, France or the USA, which is accepted in Canada, as far as I know.
..which doesn't sound as if you have submitted your quaifications for equivalency assessment. By submitting your Masters (and presumably your original degree) to one of the ECA companies you may find that either or both your Masters/degree are the equivalent of a similar qualification here. Unless you have them officially assessed by an authorised company/establishment, you won't know if they would be accepted by employers and/or other educational institutes. WES even offer you an 'unofficial' equivalency option (just to check yourself, before assessment) WES : Immigrants

Just because you didn't take your degree/Masters in the UK, Australia, France or the USA it doesn't mean your qualifications aren't recognised, for example - with IQAS it has:
If you completed your education in one of the countries listed below, please click on the link for specific information about required educational documents:

Federal Republic of Nigeria
Islamic Republic of Pakistan
People’s Republic of China
Republic of Colombia
Republic of India
Republic of Korea
Republic of the Philippines
Republic of Poland
The Former USSR and the Russian Federation
Assessment for Employment, Education or Licensure

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 20th 2016 at 6:23 am.
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I didn't know about it. I will check it out :-)
Old Oct 13th 2016, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Get your citizenship, then consider jobs in govt such as the following:

https://csiscareers.ca/en/jobs/forei...ations-analyst
Old Oct 13th 2016, 4:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bra_boy

Oooh good link - but it's too funny that they have an 'insecure' website and you have to add an exception to view it!

Old Oct 13th 2016, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bra_boy

Yep, the link is great. Thank you.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:18 am
Just Joined

I have been pondering for a month now about my situation. Probably it is a sensible idea not to venture out and just stick to foreign languages I know already and make good use of them.

However, it seems that as it goes on, things get more complicated. I went to McGill linguistics department to enquire about their MA program and was a little bit upset. They are dealing mostly with theoretical linguistics (phonology, syntax, semantics, etc) – I am not really excited about these particular subjects. They also accept only 10 students out of 150 for MA program, so the chances are slim to get there. I just realized it would be irrational to get another MA degree (from now almost 3 years in case if I am accepted) and study the area of linguistics which is not really interesting for me just to satisfy my academic ego.

Anyways, I looked at the alternative way – School of Continuing Studies at McGill. Do you think it is a good idea to get a certificate in communications skills or some other subject? Meanwhile I will do WES/ECA evaluation of my MA degree and see where it can bring me.

The second question – CSIS sounds really exciting, but will they even consider my application since I am a naturalized citizen? (not yet, right now I am a PR holder, just asking for future)

Cheers!

Last edited by Erika_; Oct 14th 2016 at 4:24 am.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi as I said to you before I am not a theoretical linguist: of course I studied the basic building blocks for my Bachelors but even that (which I did as a mature adult) was a very sociolinguistic degree. My MA (Applied Linguistics) took a sociocultural approach (again very sociolinguistic) and I did a lot of discourse analysis in both degrees and my further study. In my teaching I took a very cross disciplinary approach and worked a lot in media & cultural studies. So these are things you might think about: using what you've already got to branch out into different areas. Have you studied much sociolinguistics?

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 14th 2016 at 5:23 am.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Erika_
will they even consider my application
They will consider it, but I imagine you will be screened and questioned about your past. The reality is that it is not easy to find native Canadians who are comfortable in the more exotic (to us) languages.