Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:19 pm
Snow boots are ready....

nrh1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

do they have to be on matte paper, or can you do them on glossy?

i did say it was a quick one...
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of
Default Re: a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

Hi nrh1981. We've just had ours done by snappy snaps on Byres road. I take it you know they have to be done by a professional photographer. £14.99 each set was their price and it is their responsibility to ensure that the pictures meet the requirements of Passport Canada. There are other photographers who do them too and they are listed on the High Commission web site.

Tony.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:18 pm
Snow boots are ready....

Hi Tony,
We did the photos for the full application thus far ourselves, using photoshop to size them exactly as per the requirements. I was doing the same again, however noticed they ask for this single weight matte paper.
Was just wondering if it was an issue or not?

Might consider using snappy's
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:02 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nrh1981
Hi Tony,
We did the photos for the full application thus far ourselves, using photoshop to size them exactly as per the requirements. I was doing the same again, however noticed they ask for this single weight matte paper.
Was just wondering if it was an issue or not?

Might consider using snappy's

Bit of a quick and possibly stupid answer but......

Why not just go n buy some matt paper.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:10 pm
Snow boots are ready....

ok i have spent far too much time looking this up on google...

single weight matte paper is approx 120gm weight single sided, and a matte finish... finding this is not as easy as you would think. Tried pc world tonight to no success.

Think i may just go to snappy snaps and be done with it!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:24 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nrh1981
ok i have spent far too much time looking this up on google...

single weight matte paper is approx 120gm weight single sided, and a matte finish... finding this is not as easy as you would think. Tried pc world tonight to no success.

Think i may just go to snappy snaps and be done with it!
Poss best. No fun having them sent back in a few weeks for the sake of shiny happy paper.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Don't know if I'm picking this up wrong from the passport application pack but I'm sure it states that photos must be taken by professional photographer (recommended list given too) with their name and date on the back. Maybe this is to avoid complications like weight of paper, finish and background. Not so sure about in the UK but if your application is rejected in Canada due to substandard snaps, the photographer can be held accountable for the extra costs of re-application.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also pretty sure that you are not allowed to resize or edit the photos in any way. That was from the place we've had all of ours done. They then have to be stamped on the back with the photographer's details an the date I think too.
Old Mar 8th 2012, 11:18 pm
Snow boots are ready....

technically it doesnt say (for the UK anyway) in the dodumentation i have read that you cant do them yourself. I am also sure that the photos are resized even by the professionals as it will all be digital. What you cant do is photoshop out those wrinkles and freckles....
Old Mar 9th 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

It does say. Section N of the UK Application pack.

PHOTOGRAPHER AND GUARANTOR
Photos must be taken by a commercial photographer.
The name of the photographer or studio, the address and the date
the photo was taken (not the date the photo was printed) must be
provided directly on the back of one photo (see illustration).
The guarantor must clearly write on the back of one (1) photo:
“I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)”