British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/very-quick-possibly-stupid-qu-about-passport-photos-750941/)

nrh1981 Mar 7th 2012 8:19 pm

a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

do they have to be on matte paper, or can you do them on glossy?

i did say it was a quick one...

Tony-the-Tigger Mar 7th 2012 8:27 pm

Re: a very quick and possibly stupid qu about passport photos

Hi nrh1981. We've just had ours done by snappy snaps on Byres road. I take it you know they have to be done by a professional photographer. £14.99 each set was their price and it is their responsibility to ensure that the pictures meet the requirements of Passport Canada. There are other photographers who do them too and they are listed on the High Commission web site.

Tony.

nrh1981 Mar 7th 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Tony,
We did the photos for the full application thus far ourselves, using photoshop to size them exactly as per the requirements. I was doing the same again, however noticed they ask for this single weight matte paper.
Was just wondering if it was an issue or not?

Might consider using snappy's

magnumpi Mar 7th 2012 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by nrh1981 (Post 9941479)
Hi Tony,
We did the photos for the full application thus far ourselves, using photoshop to size them exactly as per the requirements. I was doing the same again, however noticed they ask for this single weight matte paper.
Was just wondering if it was an issue or not?

Might consider using snappy's

Bit of a quick and possibly stupid answer but......

Why not just go n buy some matt paper.

nrh1981 Mar 7th 2012 10:10 pm

ok i have spent far too much time looking this up on google...

single weight matte paper is approx 120gm weight single sided, and a matte finish... finding this is not as easy as you would think. Tried pc world tonight to no success.

Think i may just go to snappy snaps and be done with it!

magnumpi Mar 7th 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by nrh1981 (Post 9941595)
ok i have spent far too much time looking this up on google...

single weight matte paper is approx 120gm weight single sided, and a matte finish... finding this is not as easy as you would think. Tried pc world tonight to no success.

Think i may just go to snappy snaps and be done with it!

Poss best. No fun having them sent back in a few weeks for the sake of shiny happy paper.

Tony-the-Tigger Mar 8th 2012 8:42 am

Don't know if I'm picking this up wrong from the passport application pack but I'm sure it states that photos must be taken by professional photographer (recommended list given too) with their name and date on the back. Maybe this is to avoid complications like weight of paper, finish and background. Not so sure about in the UK but if your application is rejected in Canada due to substandard snaps, the photographer can be held accountable for the extra costs of re-application.

Dashie Mar 8th 2012 12:10 pm

I'm also pretty sure that you are not allowed to resize or edit the photos in any way. That was from the place we've had all of ours done. They then have to be stamped on the back with the photographer's details an the date I think too.

nrh1981 Mar 8th 2012 11:18 pm

technically it doesnt say (for the UK anyway) in the dodumentation i have read that you cant do them yourself. I am also sure that the photos are resized even by the professionals as it will all be digital. What you cant do is photoshop out those wrinkles and freckles....:blink:

Tony-the-Tigger Mar 9th 2012 8:27 am

It does say. Section N of the UK Application pack.

PHOTOGRAPHER AND GUARANTOR
Photos must be taken by a commercial photographer.
The name of the photographer or studio, the address and the date
the photo was taken (not the date the photo was printed) must be
provided directly on the back of one photo (see illustration).
The guarantor must clearly write on the back of one (1) photo:
“I certify this to be a true likeness of (applicant's name)”