Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Very hard to please!

Very hard to please!

Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice
Default Re: Very hard to please!

Originally Posted by MrCFD
We are difficult, high-maintenance people with short attention spans and demand a LOT from where we live or else we get bored very quickly.

Not interested in public transport or clean air or saving the environment.

We like to have a lot of choice when it comes to good restaurants/cafes, supermarkets (not cheap, bargain bin ones),

We would like to be near professional families who earn good incomes and like the same things as we do!
Get you, Gordon Gekko!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:53 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrCFD
Hello!

It is my first time posting on the Canada board, and I hope you can help (apologies in advance for the huge post!).

We have just applied for our PM to Canada and are currently living in New Zealand. We would like to do a reccie to Canada, but want to get some ideas on where to live from people who are actually there and living it (and because it is such a huge country to do a reccie to!). I have done loads of reading about different parts of Canada, but cannot get a real feel for it through loney planets and council websites!

I am sure that similar threads have been done a thousand times, however there is a difference here. We are difficult, high-maintenance people with short attention spans and demand a LOT from where we live or else we get bored very quickly.

Background:

Family: Myself, Wife, three daughters (4, 2, and 6 months).

Current Work/Income: Business Analyst Consultant, High income (approx. NZ$300k-$400k = C$250k). Educated to Masters level.

We like to take long weekend drives (up to 3 hours each way) and would like different scenes in at least 4 directions (Vancouver is out because we cannot drive West for long!).

We don't want to be in the heart of a city, or a surburb, but would like all the amenities and advantages of a city - so preferably live close to a city that we can escape from in 30 minutes (like London).

Very good options for healthcare and education.

We like to have a lot of choice when it comes to good restaurants/cafes, supermarkets (not cheap, bargain bin ones), department stores, and everything we could need within easy reach.

We would like to be near professional families who earn good incomes and like the same things as we do!

We need to have seasons - snow in winter (a given really), sun in winter, not much rain, and perhaps most importantly autumn colours in autumn.

In the last five years we have lived in:

Auckland, NZ - Hated it because it was impersonal, too much traffic, no culture or history, too expensive, difficult to get around, 'plastic', and could only travel North or South.

Darwin, Australia - Hated it because it was too isolated, too hot, no changes in seasons, people were slow and lazy, no executive/professional families, no culture/class, no where to go but south.

Mexico City - Loved it. Great lifestyle, weekend trips over the mountains, pine forests, lakes, beaches, great restaurants, could drive in any direction and see or experience something different, Professionals, Great business relationships, Easy to make friends, interesting culture, old buildings, history.

Berkhamstead (UK) - Liked it. Country pubs, within 30 minutes of centre of London, but still in the countryside (could escape the city easily). Professional families, culture, history, easy to drive to anywhere.

Wellington (NZ) - Hated it after 6 months - have great ocean views, easy to get in and out of city, good money, secure work, BUT awful healthcare, only two roads out of the city so have to drive for at LEAST 3 hours to get anywhere nice, too small, nothing to do.

Phnom Penh (Cambodia) - Loved it. Great expat community, good business relationships, great lifestyle, culture, history, and interesting people

...So, if anyone has any suggestions about where we live in Canada, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers!
Steve.
I'm sorry my attention span didn't run to reading all of your post. What was it you wanted again?
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:55 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not 100% convinced this isn't a wind up post, however, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

What about Toronto - the region around Vaghan, Richmond etc is full of high tech industries with plenty of big houses around and about.

City is only half an hour or so away (on a good day I believe), Niagra/US boarder an hour away, go northways you get to some beautiful lakes. Don't know about east or west we weren't there long enough to find out.

I can't say I know that it ticks all your boxes but it may tick some of them.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 1:58 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough
Angry Re: Very hard to please!

[QUOTE=MrCFD;7057796]Hello!

Background:

QUOTE]

I have to say, Stating your not interested in clear air OR saving the enviroment ....wasnt your smartest comment !!!!!

To be honest i would go as far as saying Canada really dosent want people like you....i really think that this post is a wind up......he would near enough have to be Prime Minister to be on that money in NZ...

Last edited by TiggerLottie; Dec 11th 2008 at 2:01 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:05 pm
UK to NZ to Canada

TiggerLottie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by G586
Yes, it is. Plonked in the back of the car from an early age, risking DVT by being sat in one place for too long. They don't get much time at the actual place, do they? Pathetic. Poor wee kids, particularly the baby, way too much time in the back of a car.

Anyway, sweetie, I don't think you would like Canada, too many tree huggers and not enough action to meet your demands.

No soapbox, you asked for opinions....diddums.
Being plonked in the back of a car is the very very least of these poor kids problems.....the worst is having them as parents...

Why are these people allowed to Multipy !
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a wind up but if it is'nt, then for goodness sake man, give your children some roots!!
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heidi_K
egion around Vaghan, Richmond etc is full of high tech industries with plenty of big houses around and about.
No, no, no. He'd hate it here. I'd make sure of that.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 2:53 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"Vancouver's out because I need to be able to drive in all 4 directions"...that's absolutely priceless.

Is there an award for "stupidest thread eva" I wonder? Not worthy of any helpful advice though I suspect.
Old Dec 11th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread closed on OP'S request