Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

the VERY best thing

the VERY best thing

Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the VERY best thing

We live in Peterborough, Ontario, also no doctor, waiting list are for ever.
Don't like the ER, very busy, once I've waited for 5 hours.
Walk-in-clinic :scared:
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:43 am

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
Hi R2D2

I am not sure if the problem is just Kelowna or if it is in other areas too. I am not impressed to say the least.

I'm not really bothered about the personality of the doctor, or the sex for that matter. All I ask is that they are qualified and can treat us when we are ill.

Louise
I can appreciate your problem - it took us ages to find a Doc. Hope things work out for you soon.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by NewCalgarian
I can appreciate your problem - it took us ages to find a Doc. Hope things work out for you soon.
I guess it's patchy, it took us a day and the clinic is about 1 mile away.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:15 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Hi R2D2

I am not sure if the problem is just Kelowna or if it is in other areas too. I am not impressed to say the least.

I'm not really bothered about the personality of the doctor, or the sex for that matter. All I ask is that they are qualified and can treat us when we are ill.

Louise
Have you tried this link - it seems that there are doctors accepting patients in Kelowna (well, according to this https://www.cpsbc.ca/cps/physician_d...Disclaimer=yes)

all the best
Clare
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Being far away from my family of origin.

Being far away from my family of origin.

Paradoxical, but true.
I'll second that! It's bitter sweet.....
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it before. Either the site is out-of-date or they have been clearing out their filing systems. I have just looked at my lists and I have rung both of these surgeries before. I am going to ring them first thing in the morning, hopefully we'll get in with at least one. If not I'll keep ringing around. I am hoping that one day I will get through just as someone is leaving a practice. I am wondering if the problem is because people chop and change doctors. How does a doctor know if a patient has registered somewhere else? I get the impression that the medical records aren't as centralised as the Health Authority and the Primary Care Groups keep them in the UK.

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Have you tried this link - it seems that there are doctors accepting patients in Kelowna (well, according to this https://www.cpsbc.ca/cps/physician_d...Disclaimer=yes)

all the best
Clare
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are in Kelowna, BC. I was given the address of a walk-in clinic and not wanting to put it to bluntly I did not feel that my 3yo and 5yo should have to sit in a waiting room with people who looked like junkies. I know they will come across people like that in later life, but it really did not feel safe.

Besides, I want a doctor who has my medical records and someone I can keep going to. Not somewhere where I see a different Doctor or go to a different clinic every time.

I wouldn't have thought that wanting a family doctor would be too much to ask. But doctors around here are like gold dust. So the hunt goes on. Not being able to get a doctor, feels like 3rd world health care. Makes me realise that I will never criticise the NHS again.

One receptionist actually told me to hang on until I haven't got any medication left. When I run out and I'm having problems, go to the hospital. :scared:
Kelowna General Hospital used to have lists of all the new doctors in the area that were opening practices. I have seen the lists at certain walk-in clinics as well.

There was a new practice that opened up in the Capri Mall fairly recently ... Dr. Morris is one of the physicians there. Also, Drs Tereposky & Armstrong opened their practice to 2 more doctors recently.

I notice the Capital News advertises new offices periodically and you may be able to get word of a doctor accepting new clients that way as well.

Good luck

Oggy
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:15 pm

NewCalgarian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
I guess it's patchy, it took us a day and the clinic is about 1 mile away.
Wish I could say the same!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen it before. Either the site is out-of-date or they have been clearing out their filing systems. I have just looked at my lists and I have rung both of these surgeries before. I am going to ring them first thing in the morning, hopefully we'll get in with at least one. If not I'll keep ringing around. I am hoping that one day I will get through just as someone is leaving a practice. I am wondering if the problem is because people chop and change doctors. How does a doctor know if a patient has registered somewhere else? I get the impression that the medical records aren't as centralised as the Health Authority and the Primary Care Groups keep them in the UK.
Provinces (who oversee delivery of health care, it is not on a national level like the UK) are working on electronic health record systems whereby there will be a central database physicians can check a patient's medical history and which doctors they have seen. It is a bit slow in coming for various reasons, though Alberta's is the most advanced. (Not much help for you, but just information in case you are interested).

I've been in Toronto for a year and a half and I don't have a family doctor either, though I must admit I haven't looked that hard. Your provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons website, which Clare posted, should have the most up-to-date information on who is accepting new patients. Re: the walk-in clinics, I have never had a problem with them. Did you actually go to the clinic and see a room full of junkies? Clinics are not aimed at the dregs of society you described but are used by everyone who either does not have a doctor or can't get an immediate appointment with theirs, and are an alterative to a hospital emergency dept.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:07 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Re: the walk-in clinics, I have never had a problem with them. Did you actually go to the clinic and see a room full of junkies? Clinics are not aimed at the dregs of society you described but are used by everyone who either does not have a doctor or can't get an immediate appointment with theirs, and are an alterative to a hospital emergency dept.
I agree with Anya. We used the walk in clinic with my visiting neice who had a lurgy when she was on holiday. We were very impressed with the clinic, the doctor, everything. $57.20 well spent!

Clare
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Yes I did walk in (and walked straight out again). I was talking to a receptionist today about the clinic I went to and she said I should never have been told to go to that one.

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Provinces (who oversee delivery of health care, it is not on a national level like the UK) are working on electronic health record systems whereby there will be a central database physicians can check a patient's medical history and which doctors they have seen. It is a bit slow in coming for various reasons, though Alberta's is the most advanced. (Not much help for you, but just information in case you are interested).

I've been in Toronto for a year and a half and I don't have a family doctor either, though I must admit I haven't looked that hard. Your provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons website, which Clare posted, should have the most up-to-date information on who is accepting new patients. Re: the walk-in clinics, I have never had a problem with them. Did you actually go to the clinic and see a room full of junkies? Clinics are not aimed at the dregs of society you described but are used by everyone who either does not have a doctor or can't get an immediate appointment with theirs, and are an alterative to a hospital emergency dept.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 10:59 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Thats not fair.

Vanilla Coffee
Vanilla Coffee
Vanilla Coffee
Vanilla Coffee
Vanilla Coffee
Vanilla Coffee

no realy your right
Hazelnut cream for coffee, Egg Nogg for your coffee, donuts, Muffins, Cinnamon Buns, A&W etc

Originally Posted by annie3-4
PS NOT vanilla flavour coffee...
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

After going to 5 different family doctors today, we now have a family doctor. The last one I visited agreed to take us on. The doctor is lovely and ironically it is the clinic we wanted to join in the first place.

The doctor was telling is that there are 10,000 people in Kelowna without a regular doctor. Those are people with a fixed address and so do not include any homeless people. She also asked me not to tell anyone that they had taken us on as they are not taking any more patients. They made an exception as it was my 4th visit in as many weeks - persistence pays off. I have lost track of how many clinics I have visited. The other problem is that many of them don't have waiting lists, so it is the luck of happening to visit on the right day.

For anyone living in Kelowna, Someone suggested Capri medical centre - they aren't taking on new patients, neither is Broadwater clinic on Gordon, Lakeshore clinic also on Gordon or the clinic on the intersection of Enterprise and Spall.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hangman
Meeting my wife.

Cheers
Steve
Snap! I was going to say exactly the same thing - meeting my wife.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 2:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The doctor was telling is that there are 10,000 people in Kelowna without a regular doctor.
I don't doubt it's true but it's a very dodgy statistic. I moved to Canada in 1981, nothing was wrong with me so I didn't register with a doctor. Two years ago I got nagged into registering but for the decades inbetween I was nominally without a family doctor. If I had known I was contributing to the Conservative argument that the system has collapsed and needs privatising, as shown by people not having doctors, I would have made an effort to get one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.