Vernon, BC??

Old Jun 30th 2013, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all
Default Vernon, BC??

So just a quick question,

Does any one live in Vernon,BC and if so can you say if you are having a good time there..... We are going to relocate to Vernon from Ottawa, hopefully for a lifestyle change!?,
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:34 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vernon, BC??

I lived there for a period of time. It's got a very scenic location on Kalamalka Lake, is perfectly pleasant as a town, nice climate, but I didn't find it particularly vibrant or interesting.

There's not a great deal of commerce or industry, so professional level careers are a little thin on the ground, though many people commute to Kelowna which offers more opportunity.

I think housing is generally overpriced - there's a reasonable choice of average quality subdivision to choose from if that's your thing, but if you want higher end or larger lot size with lake view it's pricey.

If you're used to the city lifestyle of Ottawa it's going to be quite a change in lifestyle.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Vernon, BC??

I was born in Vernon and grew up there. When I went away to University my intention was to return when I was done (I like it there). It didn't work out that way but even 25 years later, I wouldn't rule out returning.

As RICH says (good name by the way) there isn't a lot there for professional level careers (although there is some) so a commute to Kelowna might be in order. If I worked in Kelowna, I would live in Vernon and put up with the commute. But being my home town, I'm a little biased towards it.

I imagine that the lifestyle will be different to Ottawa. Over a million people compared to 50000ish. Even though its significantly smaller, there really won't be anything missing - in essentials anyway. There are a few big box stores now but I think it still has a pretty good local selection of stores and services.

Growing up there, I never felt like I was in a small town. I went to Victoria for university and I didn't really feel overwhelmed by it. But then Victoria isn't huge either (maybe going to Toronto would have been different). Vernon certainly isn't the kind of town where everyone knows everyone.

What kind of lifestyle change are you looking for? Or rather what kind of lifestyle are you looking for?
Old Jun 30th 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Here are a few photos of Vernon I took last summer when visiting family (I get back there a couple of times a year):

Old Jun 30th 2013, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give a different aspect!
We moved here 4 years ago- we chose carefully- we wanted a reasonable sized town, with good access to skiing, plus provincial parks/lakes/wildlife and access to a good airport. Vernon ticks all the boxes.

It has great weather- hot/dry in the summer with low humidity/few bugs- its can stay in the 30-35 range for several weeks, occasionally hitting 40 but is ok as everywhere air-conditioned- but everyone moans!
Wildfires become an issue in the summer and is the one thing I fear. I have made backup plans in case we have to evacuate quickly as we live next to a Provincial Park which is seriously dry in the summer.
In winter, we have enough snow to have amazing skiing at SilverStar but not too much to be a pain in the valley. We can have several weeks of low cloud in the valley but a trip up the hill gives you sunshine. Can be hard to plan travel in the winter by car anyway- any road could be closed due to snow from about October to May. The valley itself is almost always ok and flying- almost a certainty.

Work- I see you work in construction/oil??- I assume you'll be commuting north- lots of people do here- sometimes whole families. There is a serious lack of jobs I would say. I've seen a lot of people move here and leave again because of work- or commute to Fort Mac!

Health- decent hospital- needs some money/tweaking. Shortage of GPs, but I think most decent, patient, persistent people get one eventually.

Airport- love Kelowna airport- its small, and friendly- even the CBSA guards joke and smile. Easy to park, stays open in all but the most awful snow storms.From Vernon- maybe 30mins- ? less when the new bit of road opens this summer.I've used it frequently, never yet had an issue.

Playtime:We are surrounded by beautiful places- lots of Provincial parks- the gem being Kalamalka (Kal) Park- it is truly beautiful, the lake is also gorgeous- it changes colour in the summer as it warms- hasn't changed yet this year- too soon.
The Okanagan lake is a huge 90 mile long play ground and Swan Lake is a shallow lake to the north of Vernon, which is good for birds, kayaking etc- it freezes most winters , so ice fishing possible
There are some decent beaches in Vernon, quite dusty and get crowded, small ones everywhere and a few for dogs.
SilverStar is amazing, along with Sovereign Lake for nordic. Mainly locals most of the year , even at Christmas, New Year it is bearable. A fair number of Ozzies come plus a smattering of other nationalities.
We are as far away from SS as you could get in Vernon/Coldstream but it still only takes about 40 mins to get up there.
BX is a popular area for those who don't mind being away from the lakes- but like to be 15 mins from Silverstar

Shopping is ok- you get most things and it is noticeably improving- Kelowna is not that far and a very scenic drive for the rest.

Culture- not a lot!!We didn't come for that.

But- wine- great vineyards all down the Okanagan-some with restaurants or accommodation. Often stunning settings overlooking lakes.
More orchards from Kelowna north, but with such a variety of fruit.

Housing- a definite fall in house prices since we arrived- the Albertans still push up the prices of the expensive lakeside ones for their 2 week holidays once a year! "Normal" houses are more reasonable and a fair few on the market

Speaking of Albertans- they do flock here every summer- the roads become more congested- but it's all relative!!-and the driving standards fall quite noticeably. If I were to generalize,( totally wrong I know )I would say they don't seem to respect here-ie the lakes, countryside etc. The locals like the money of course but get niggled by it- as one lady said to me- next time we'll build the Rockies higher!!!

Are we happy- yes- miss the rels in UK but its easy to get back.
Would I live anywhere else here- no- not at present- maybe when kid -less I would consider somewhere else. Eldest son is at UVIC- he wouldn't move back.

So after the views of Vernon itself- I'll post views of the surroundings
1st pic is Kal lake from the beach- winter obviously!
2nd - looking back at a busy ski run
3rd- from the top of Silverstar looking down over the valley and towards the Monashees
4th- Kal lake from my deck this am
5th - on a walk in Kal park this am- overlooking Cosens bay
Attached Thumbnails Vernon, BC??-img_0004.jpg   Vernon, BC??-img_0755.jpg   Vernon, BC??-img_0762.jpg   Vernon, BC??-img_1580.jpg   Vernon, BC??-img_1590.jpg  

Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:37 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Lived there for 7 years with mixed results.

Not a bad place if your raising kids. Ok if you're a couple. Dead boring if your single.

Has a nice selection of heritage houses if you're into that and like RICH said, if you bags of cash you can get waterfront.

If you like the heat, the Okanagan is a great place (I prefer the ocean). If I had to, I'd pick Kelowna as there's more to do but then it's only 45 minutes from Vernon.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 1:48 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Vernon, BC??

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
We moved here 4 years ago- we chose carefully- we wanted a reasonable sized town, with good access to skiing, plus provincial parks/lakes/wildlife and access to a good airport. Vernon ticks all the boxes.
Hi,

What a helpful and informative post. I really enjoyed reading about your take on Vernon. I live in Kamloops and my friend has just moved from Kam to Vernon due to her husband's job. They rented initially but loved it enough to buy. I am hoping to visit her in July and we are going to do some cycling & hopefully vineyard visiting/wine tasting at. Can't wait!

Cheers, katie
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Aqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to allAqua is a name known to all

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all the helpful info you have given me, we had already decided on Vernon but just needed some inside views.

I found the photos very helpful so thank you for your time and effort
We have decided to rent for 6 months whilst house hunting and sooooo my next question -

Are there any bad places not to buy in Vernon..... There certainly are in Ottawa!! I'm really thinking of a lager size plot and not town centre ( been there and done that, need some peace)

Cheers
Roger

Last edited by Aqua; Jul 2nd 2013 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:00 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

It has great weather- hot/dry in the summer with low humidity/few bugs- its can stay in the 30-35 range for several weeks, occasionally hitting 40 but is ok as everywhere air-conditioned- but everyone moans!
Wildfires become an issue in the summer and is the one thing I fear. I have made backup plans in case we have to evacuate quickly as we live next to a Provincial Park which is seriously dry in the summer.
In winter, we have enough snow to have amazing skiing at SilverStar but not too much to be a pain in the valley. We can have several weeks of low cloud in the valley but a trip up the hill gives you sunshine. Can be hard to plan travel in the winter by car anyway- any road could be closed due to snow from about October to May. The valley itself is almost always ok and flying- almost a certainty.

Work- I see you work in construction/oil??- I assume you'll be commuting north- lots of people do here- sometimes whole families. There is a serious lack of jobs I would say. I've seen a lot of people move here and leave again because of work- or commute to Fort Mac!

Health- decent hospital- needs some money/tweaking. Shortage of GPs, but I think most decent, patient, persistent people get one eventually.

Airport- love Kelowna airport- its small, and friendly- even the CBSA guards joke and smile. Easy to park, stays open in all but the most awful snow storms.From Vernon- maybe 30mins- ? less when the new bit of road opens this summer.I've used it frequently, never yet had an issue.

Playtime:We are surrounded by beautiful places- lots of Provincial parks- the gem being Kalamalka (Kal) Park- it is truly beautiful, the lake is also gorgeous- it changes colour in the summer as it warms- hasn't changed yet this year- too soon.
The Okanagan lake is a huge 90 mile long play ground and Swan Lake is a shallow lake to the north of Vernon, which is good for birds, kayaking etc- it freezes most winters , so ice fishing possible
There are some decent beaches in Vernon, quite dusty and get crowded, small ones everywhere and a few for dogs.
SilverStar is amazing, along with Sovereign Lake for nordic. Mainly locals most of the year , even at Christmas, New Year it is bearable. A fair number of Ozzies come plus a smattering of other nationalities.
We are as far away from SS as you could get in Vernon/Coldstream but it still only takes about 40 mins to get up there.
BX is a popular area for those who don't mind being away from the lakes- but like to be 15 mins from Silverstar

Shopping is ok- you get most things and it is noticeably improving- Kelowna is not that far and a very scenic drive for the rest.

Culture- not a lot!!We didn't come for that.

But- wine- great vineyards all down the Okanagan-some with restaurants or accommodation. Often stunning settings overlooking lakes.
More orchards from Kelowna north, but with such a variety of fruit.

Housing- a definite fall in house prices since we arrived- the Albertans still push up the prices of the expensive lakeside ones for their 2 week holidays once a year! "Normal" houses are more reasonable and a fair few on the market

Speaking of Albertans- they do flock here every summer- the roads become more congested- but it's all relative!!-and the driving standards fall quite noticeably. If I were to generalize,( totally wrong I know )I would say they don't seem to respect here-ie the lakes, countryside etc. The locals like the money of course but get niggled by it- as one lady said to me- next time we'll build the Rockies higher!!!

Are we happy- yes- miss the rels in UK but its easy to get back.
Would I live anywhere else here- no- not at present- maybe when kid -less I would consider somewhere else. Eldest son is at UVIC- he wouldn't move back.

So after the views of Vernon itself- I'll post views of the surroundings
1st pic is Kal lake from the beach- winter obviously!
2nd - looking back at a busy ski run
3rd- from the top of Silverstar looking down over the valley and towards the Monashees
4th- Kal lake from my deck this am
5th - on a walk in Kal park this am- overlooking Cosens bay
agree the Albertans drive badly . but i did'nt think it was much better in BC ?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aqua
Thanks guys,

I really appreciate all the helpful info you have given me, we had already decided on Vernon but just needed some inside views.

I found the photos very helpful so thank you for your time and effort
We have decided to rent for 6 months whilst house hunting and sooooo my next question -

Are there any bad places not to buy in Vernon..... There certainly are in Ottawa!! I'm really thinking of a lager size plot and not town centre ( been there and done that, need some peace)

Cheers
Roger
If you're thinking not in the town centre then there probably aren't any areas to worry about.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
agree the Albertans drive badly . but i did'nt think it was much better in BC ?
There's a big difference when those red plates arrive!!
Agreed that standards are poor in BC just worse in AB!

"I'm really thinking of a lager size plot and not town centre"

I don't think there are any areas to avoid with large plots or lager plots- I like the sound of those!

BX / Foothills area is worth a look- close to Silverstar so quite popular, family oriented but reasonably priced. Across from the Silverstar road is the area around Hartnell road, some big houses and plots, seems quite expensive but again close to SS and great views.
North to Armstrong, larger plots, cheaper, good family areas.
East along the valley from Coldstream to Lavington and beyond- all good, larger plots, mix of older houses and new, beautiful scenery.Prices can vary- if you want large lot, plus distant lake views and have plenty of money- Ranchlands is worth a look to build your dream home- it's in Coldstream.
There are some older houses on larger lots dotted around Coldstream, some close-ish to Kal lake- prices vary and can be reasonable- usually those places that need some "remodelling"
I'm sure there's similar over towards the Okanagan, I just don't know that area as well.I think it's a bit cheaper than Coldstream area but I prefer Coldstream.

Where not to live? There's no really bad areas, obviously close to the centre of Vernon has dodgy areas but lots will be small so of no interest anyway.
Avoid the Schubert Centre area- its full of condos and lots of seniors seem to live there- you might be too young!
Bits of East Hill look a bit rundown but OH disputes this! He feels the area around the hospital needs to be avoided.

Renting is definitely best to get a feel of the area you like, but I know property can rent out quickly. If pushed Silverstar can be an option in the summer- we rented a huge house for our first 2 weeks, then found somewhere in Coldstream- we put ourselves on kijiji.I do know that even in the winter you can find the odd house up there for long reasonably priced rentals if you love skiing. Otherwise if you move quick, a house in Vernon/Coldstream should be a possibility.

If you find somewhere you can always PM me and I'll let you know what I think
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

Yep have to agree the Lager plots do sound better but I'm afraid it was a typo!!

I have another question to keep you all busy...... I have held an Ontario Driver license for 3 years (full) and have no suspensions or fines , insurance is in good order with no claims, can you give me a ball park figure for insurance in Vernon for a 2011 Silverado!!! Yeah I know it's hard but a basic idea would be good

Cheers
Roger

There's a big difference when those red plates arrive!!
Agreed that standards are poor in BC just worse in AB!

"I'm really thinking of a lager size plot and not town centre"

I don't think there are any areas to avoid with large plots or lager plots- I like the sound of those!

BX / Foothills area is worth a look- close to Silverstar so quite popular, family oriented but reasonably priced. Across from the Silverstar road is the area around Hartnell road, some big houses and plots, seems quite expensive but again close to SS and great views.
North to Armstrong, larger plots, cheaper, good family areas.
East along the valley from Coldstream to Lavington and beyond- all good, larger plots, mix of older houses and new, beautiful scenery.Prices can vary- if you want large lot, plus distant lake views and have plenty of money- Ranchlands is worth a look to build your dream home- it's in Coldstream.
There are some older houses on larger lots dotted around Coldstream, some close-ish to Kal lake- prices vary and can be reasonable- usually those places that need some "remodelling"
I'm sure there's similar over towards the Okanagan, I just don't know that area as well.I think it's a bit cheaper than Coldstream area but I prefer Coldstream.

Where not to live? There's no really bad areas, obviously close to the centre of Vernon has dodgy areas but lots will be small so of no interest anyway.
Avoid the Schubert Centre area- its full of condos and lots of seniors seem to live there- you might be too young!
Bits of East Hill look a bit rundown but OH disputes this! He feels the area around the hospital needs to be avoided.

Renting is definitely best to get a feel of the area you like, but I know property can rent out quickly. If pushed Silverstar can be an option in the summer- we rented a huge house for our first 2 weeks, then found somewhere in Coldstream- we put ourselves on kijiji.I do know that even in the winter you can find the odd house up there for long reasonably priced rentals if you love skiing. Otherwise if you move quick, a house in Vernon/Coldstream should be a possibility.

If you find somewhere you can always PM me and I'll let you know what I think

Last edited by Aqua; Jul 3rd 2013 at 3:53 am. Reason: Stupid keyboard
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aqua
So just a quick question,

Does any one live in Vernon,BC and if so can you say if you are having a good time there..... We are going to relocate to Vernon from Ottawa, hopefully for a lifestyle change!?,
We've only been here for a month so can't add much to what you've heard already except to say we are really positively surprised how helpful and welcoming everyone has been. Even the provincial and city administrators and the CBSA at Kelowna airport have been helpful.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Hey Theoldfields,

How do you like Vernon so far and in what area do you live??

Roger
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 7:05 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
We've only been here for a month so can't add much to what you've heard already except to say we are really positively surprised how helpful and welcoming everyone has been. Even the provincial and city administrators and the CBSA at Kelowna airport have been helpful.
After Lincoln I would imagine it would be quite a culture shock.
I visit Vernon every once in a while to meet my pal who lives right on Okanagan Lake. I have always thought it was a nice place with a decent flying club and airfield.
Best wishes for your future there.

Last edited by Simon Legree; Jul 3rd 2013 at 7:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.