Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Old Sep 26th 2018, 1:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver, still not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by dbd33
An issue with that is infrastructure. I don't think there are many places in Canada from which a VPN connection can be sustained all day (and yes I'm sure posters here run fiber across the Atlantic to BT and are fine)..
Those nice people at Bell laid Fibre to my door a few years back. For the mere price of half an arm and most of a leg every month, I get 150/50Mbps internet. Quicker, in fact than the office!

I've rather stumbled into being able to Work from Home. A change in role within my company, the global nature of our business and not needing to be in the office to do my job effectively and managing school age small people, not to mention a wife who is a teacher, means that it's just simpler to work from home most of the time. Today, is, in fact, my first day in the office in 2 weeks.
My colleagues in London (the one in England not Ontario) are rather jealous! It's all rather nice after working in offices/manufacturing plants/warehouses for close on 30 years to be able to do this. The downside of course is less clear delineation between work time and personal time. So far I seem to be able to manage this to my advantage but midnight emails followed by 6.30am emails the next day are not unheard of.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 4:34 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Those nice people at Bell laid Fibre to my door a few years back. For the mere price of half an arm and most of a leg every month, I get 150/50Mbps internet. Quicker, in fact than the office!

I've rather stumbled into being able to Work from Home. A change in role within my company, the global nature of our business and not needing to be in the office to do my job effectively and managing school age small people, not to mention a wife who is a teacher, means that it's just simpler to work from home most of the time. Today, is, in fact, my first day in the office in 2 weeks.
My colleagues in London (the one in England not Ontario) are rather jealous! It's all rather nice after working in offices/manufacturing plants/warehouses for close on 30 years to be able to do this. The downside of course is less clear delineation between work time and personal time. So far I seem to be able to manage this to my advantage but midnight emails followed by 6.30am emails the next day are not unheard of.
I finished emailing at 10:30 last night. By 5am I was backlogged a couple of pages. All the correspondents are in ON or Qc and all work (employee or contract) for the same organization. None were Working from Home yesterday, it's just that the WFH facilities allow people to work whenever they're awake.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

rawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond reputerawsalad has a reputation beyond repute

An issue with that is infrastructure. I don't think there are many places in Canada from which a VPN connection can be sustained all day (and yes I'm sure posters here run fiber across the Atlantic to BT and are fine).

Luckily not had to use a VPN for work in a long time. Our support guy does have to use it to access the customer sites.
Old Sep 26th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

An issue with that is infrastructure. I don't think there are many places in Canada from which a VPN connection can be sustained all day (and yes I'm sure posters here run fiber across the Atlantic to BT and are fine).

In Vancouver I enjoyed dinner here: Aucomptoir – aucomptoir – cafe parisien I also enjoyed the Sea to Sky Gondola. Granted these aren't particularly Vancouver things, it could have been the Select Bistro and the cable car at Niagara but they had nothing to do with snow and nothing to do with sports. I don't think one need be sporty anymore than one need be sporty in Toronto. It is however true that, if you undress someone in Vancouver, then under the sou'wester you will find spandex. The appearance of sportiness is important, actually being sporty is not.
Nope

It is NOT a true statement .

I know about 50 people who do not wear spandex under their sou'wester (or under any other kind of outer clothing).

I would classify your statement as at the best exaggeration and at the worst as fake news!

I admit, however, that unfortunately I know by sight some elderly (75 and older) men and women who should NOT be wearing spandex, but it is de rigueur clothing for cyclists on a Saturday and Sunday morning run that always end up at a coffee shop where they eat some sugary sickening snack! I thank heaven I don't see them walking down the street in their spandex on Monday (or any other day)!

Of course, your statement does beg the question "how many Vancouverites did you undress to verify what you said?"
Old Sep 26th 2018, 10:32 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Cycling shorts made a come back over the Summer apparently https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45650099
Old Sep 29th 2018, 5:48 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
What are Toronto clothes, and what did I say about any clothes, for that matter?
Toronto clothes: "A limited selection of clothes that people wore in Europe 10 years ago that are finally coming into fashion at a premium price with GST still to be added."

Duckworth's? It's only 100 yards into Scarboro. We parked in Toronto and walked.
This was his reco. Not sure if it's walkable though!

https://www.standrewsfishandchips.co...us-directions/
Old Sep 29th 2018, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver housing inaffordability at 'never-seen-before level': economist.

Go Vancouver!
Old Sep 29th 2018, 11:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Toronto clothes: "A limited selection of clothes that people wore in Europe 10 years ago that are finally coming into fashion at a premium price with GST still to be added."

This was his reco. Not sure if it's walkable though!

https://www.standrewsfishandchips.co...us-directions/
The chips look good but, I dunno, that first piece of fish looks stiff as a board. Maybe that's fish served in a way authentic to Scotland but I wouldn't go all the out to the Scarboro Town Centre to try it.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I’m in Vancouver again visiting my daughter who loves it here and thinks she’ll stay for the foreseeable. The beauty of the mountains and the fascination of her job are enough for her. I don’t like it at all. If cold and damp was ok with me I’d choose Ireland or Newfoundland and be in a sociable place. I've been here a couple of days and already I've had enough of everyone having a consumptive cough.Things I’ve heard on this trip that I didn’t know and throw out here for debate follow (I’m not going to rehash the points from my earlier Vancouver threads except that it remains the city that diversity forgot).
  • Absurdly low property tax rates are a cause of resentment.
  • There’s a social polarisation between homeowners and renters and one cannot earn enough here to achieve social mobility from one class to the other.
  • As a consequence of the above there’s a reverse snobbery whereby couples who would be affluent in other cities (two lawyers, two doctors, combinations thereof) shun homeowners as they’re deemed to live in another world “people think that because they’re teachers they’re of the people but, if their house is worth eight million dollars, they no longer belong”.
  • There’s the reverse tension “at a recent town hall meeting someone said, ‘I’ve rented in Point Grey for 15 years, it’s my neighbourhood too’ and someone shouted ‘you don’t own it’ and there was applause for the shouter.
  • The school system allows parents to choose any school, there’s no catchment area arrangement, so one can live next to a school and yet be obliged to have one’s children bussed to a far one. False Creek Elementary is an example of a school populated by children from away at the expense of the local children.
  • Unusually for Canada the social divide means that private schooling is a popular option and the public schools are something of a dumping ground dealing with a disproportionate population of ESL and otherwise troublesome students. Essentially the school system is more American than Canadian and one should be prepared to pay for schooling.
Cold, damp, a rentier class, an impoverished class, everyone pallid. Dickensian would be my word.
Not for you then.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
Not for you then.
You never know.
Old Sep 30th 2018, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The chips look good but, I dunno, that first piece of fish looks stiff as a board.....
I should say so. The bigger mystery to me is why on a plate?
Old Oct 1st 2018, 11:19 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Not for you then.
moaning about vancouver is no fun anymore without dboy
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 12:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
moaning about vancouver is no fun anymore without dboy

It's not, plus I think that I've exhausted the subject.
Old Oct 2nd 2018, 12:17 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's not, plus I think that I've exhausted the subject.
Get a bunch of take-out from Green Lettuce and give us a review.