Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island Uni/college

Wikiposts

Vancouver Island Uni/college

Old Oct 4th 2013, 8:09 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island Uni/college

Originally Posted by rwin
UVic is actually about 5 miles from downtown (and very close to the main Camosun campus).

I went there. I thought it was good. If I had to do it over again, I'd go to UVic.

I found a job just fine with a University degree rather than a diploma from BCIT.
Apologies, you're right. They're digging up the roads all through the campus at the moment. Getting to Cadboro Bay from MacKenzie is a nightmare!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I am kinda assuming you need to do a degree for social work? Just check, if L does a two year diploma program, that it is accepted at plenty of places if she wants to upgrade later... Ask about transferability options from the outset with any diploma program.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 9:18 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm sure you already know, but for those who don't, there are 4 universities on the Island:
UVic
Camosun College (not sure it's actually a Uni)
VIU
Royal Roads

I know Camosun is reputed to be good at vocational stuff (nursing etc) so may suit your daughter's needs. The campus' are split into a few sites too so that might make it a bit easier to find affordable accommodation.

Royal Roads does a lot of post-grad MBA and research stuff. It also tries to attract overseas students. Super Duper campus though - right on the Juan De Fuca Straits. Peacocks everywhere etc.

Uvic is mainly downtown as far as I know and probably has the best reputation of the four.

VIU seems to be all over the place depending on what you're reading. My impression from parents of kids looking at uni' options is that this is the "poor relation" of the three uni's (plus Camosun).

If your daughter is keen on Camosun, I have a very good friend who is senior in the nursing faculty who might be able to give her more info on the environment and perhaps the social work course if this might help.

Thank you for your offer that's very kind. I'll ask her later, I'll actually find out later where she has applied to as well, as she was doing that with the careers counselor today. From what I understand is she has to do two years of Bachelors of Arts before she can go on to do the Social Worker thing.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:02 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
I am kinda assuming you need to do a degree for social work? Just check, if L does a two year diploma program, that it is accepted at plenty of places if she wants to upgrade later... Ask about transferability options from the outset with any diploma program.
Yep, she has looked into this, there is an option to do 2 years at Camosun and then go to UVic, Camosun being cheaper for the 1st 2 years.