Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver Island Uni/college

Wikiposts

Vancouver Island Uni/college

Old Oct 4th 2013, 2:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver Island Uni/college

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, for example, my daughter wishes to a large animal vet. I understand that the University of Saskatchewan is the best one in Canada for those with such aspirations. Is she wrong to wish to attend there if she wishes to be a vet in Canada?

I accept that, if one wishes to have a life in academia, the name of the University one attended may make a difference. However, for the rest of the world, it means very little despite what those that teach tell their students. On this issue, I agree with what ExKiwilass has to say. They may get the invitation to the interview and they may even get the job, they won't keep it though
I suppose if you want to look up goats' bottoms in Canada for the rest of your life I'm sure its a decent enough place. Its going to be naffing cold though. I've actually been there to give a lecture. It was a God awful place to be, but the farm was very cool.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So, for example, my daughter wishes to a large animal vet. I understand that the University of Saskatchewan is the best one in Canada for those with such aspirations. Is she wrong to wish to attend there if she wishes to be a vet in Canada?
Obviously not but it may result in having all manner of friends and business connections in, say, the cattle industry whereas attending another school might lead to such connections in the horse business. Since connections are so important I'd think the common career path of past graduates would be something to look at (as well as the cost, the quality of education and the chance of being admitted in the first place).
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:11 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Its way worse down south. I was on an admissions committee for graduate programs and unless you got above certain amount on the GRE and went to a top 25 university we wouldn't look at the rest of your application. We probably wasted an opportunity for some very good students but those were the rules.
stupid.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:13 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Obviously not but it may result in having all manner of friends and business connections in, say, the cattle industry whereas attending another school might lead to such connections in the horse business. Since connections are so important I'd think the common career path of past graduates would be something to look at (as well as the cost, the quality of education and the chance of being admitted in the first place).
having and keeping connections comes down to people skills.

Doesn't matter what school you went to if you are twit and no one wants to work with you/trust you/be around you etc
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
having and keeping connections comes down to people skills.

Doesn't matter what school you went to if you are twit and no one wants to work with you/trust you/be around you etc
True but you can be the obsequious collector of past classmate connections; if all the alumni are goat people it's not going to help you in the bull semen business.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:21 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

True but you can be the obsequious collector of past classmate connections; if all the alumni are goat people it's not going to help you in the bull semen business.
Nigerian pygmy goats, that the business to get into if you have the space.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:23 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Can anyone give any feedback on Camosun College or VIU? DD is applying for both tomorrow, she has to apply for two more , in alternate Provinces, my rules
Camosun College and Uvic have good rep's.

As far as Engineering programs go, Camosun is on par with BCIT. We hire from both.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:24 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Wrong guess, there is a Vancouver Island University. Used to be known as Malaspina College. http://www.viu.ca/
That's what I put to begin with, wasn't sure if the locals called it something else It's the one on the Island she wants as that's where her boy is....
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Correct so, one would assume, a student should look into what they wish to achieve and plan accordingly. Simply rejecting institutions because of how academics may rate them is, IMO, silly.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:32 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies, As mentioned in the above post, a big attraction to Van Island is her boyfriend, although she says this is not the case, it could be that her boyf joins the regular forces next year so it wouldn't matter where she goes, I have asked her to apply for three places, she was just focusing on VIU, she has to apply for a place in Ontario as per my rules and third her choice so she found Camosun. She wants to be a Social Worker so is thinking first two years at Camosun as it's cheaper and then elsewhere, I just wanted to get a little feedback and all seems good enough Wherever she goes she is adamant it won't be Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba and she keeps saying hahaha, this is my last winter in Alberta, so it would seems she has had enough of the snow too.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:33 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Wherever she goes she is adamant it won't be Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba and she keeps saying hahaha, this is my last winter in Alberta, so it would seems she has had enough of the snow too.
Smart girl
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Smart girl

I think so If only she would apply it more to school....
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:47 am

Thank you all for your replies, As mentioned in the above post, a big attraction to Van Island is her boyfriend, although she says this is not the case, it could be that her boyf joins the regular forces next year so it wouldn't matter where she goes, I have asked her to apply for three places, she was just focusing on VIU, she has to apply for a place in Ontario as per my rules and third her choice so she found Camosun. She wants to be a Social Worker so is thinking first two years at Camosun as it's cheaper and then elsewhere, I just wanted to get a little feedback and all seems good enough Wherever she goes she is adamant it won't be Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba and she keeps saying hahaha, this is my last winter in Alberta, so it would seems she has had enough of the snow too.
Has she thought about some institutions in the US or the UK?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 3:51 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you already know, but for those who don't, there are 4 universities on the Island:
UVic
Camosun College (not sure it's actually a Uni)
VIU
Royal Roads

I know Camosun is reputed to be good at vocational stuff (nursing etc) so may suit your daughter's needs. The campus' are split into a few sites too so that might make it a bit easier to find affordable accommodation.

Royal Roads does a lot of post-grad MBA and research stuff. It also tries to attract overseas students. Super Duper campus though - right on the Juan De Fuca Straits. Peacocks everywhere etc.

Uvic is mainly downtown as far as I know and probably has the best reputation of the four.

VIU seems to be all over the place depending on what you're reading. My impression from parents of kids looking at uni' options is that this is the "poor relation" of the three uni's (plus Camosun).

If your daughter is keen on Camosun, I have a very good friend who is senior in the nursing faculty who might be able to give her more info on the environment and perhaps the social work course if this might help.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Uvic is mainly downtown as far as I know and probably has the best reputation of the four.
UVic is actually about 5 miles from downtown (and very close to the main Camosun campus).

I went there. I thought it was good. If I had to do it over again, I'd go to UVic.

I found a job just fine with a University degree rather than a diploma from BCIT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.