Vancouver

Old Sep 15th 2015, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Vancouver

What is this? Everybody get at Claireblou day! This forum used to be full of really good information, helpful hints and humour. Now it is just political correctness gone mad and if your opinion differs from certain others on here then you get slated for it. I'm with Claireblou, I wouldn't want to live next door to 4000 Syrian refugees either, and I'm not really a huge fan of cultural diversity come to think of it!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 12:39 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
To be fair, many Canadians have the same opinions so it's not like these comments are anything new over here.
They don't make it so obvious from what I have found. They seem to embrace it much more then the UK do - maybe it is because the country is bigger, who knows
Old Sep 16th 2015, 4:18 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
They don't make it so obvious from what I have found. They seem to embrace it much more then the UK do - maybe it is because the country is bigger, who knows
You only have to read between the lines regarding house prices to see that's not true. That's just an example.

Try reading the comments sections on any Canadian article that touches on immigration, house prices, etc.

Canada is no different to the UK at all in this regard.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh I think she'd fit right in with the NIMBY attitude that is firmly entrenched in BC culture.

Have fun!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 9:58 pm
Banned

Jack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by el_richo
You only have to read between the lines regarding house prices to see that's not true. That's just an example.

Try reading the comments sections on any Canadian article that touches on immigration, house prices, etc.

Canada is no different to the UK at all in this regard.
Except that when immigration and house prices are linked as a problem the unspoken rule is that you don't mention the Chinese, or Chinese money laundering. Canadians are too passive aggressive to actually point the finger so they'll just use a blanket term like immigration. If pushed they might say the problem comes from "Asian" property investors and hope their audience will connect the dots, while conveniently forgetting that Asia includes India, most of Russia, Japan etc.

In all honesty Canada isn't *multi* cultural, it's like living in Britain back in the 70s in a lot of respects here. Not in a nostalgic feel good way either.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge

In all honesty Canada isn't *multi* cultural, it's like living in Britain back in the 70s in a lot of respects here. Not in a nostalgic feel good way either.
Toronto is as multi-cultural as London or NYC. That is, as multi-cultural as anywhere. Vancouver, maybe not so much.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 10:39 pm
Banned

Jack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to allJack_Judge is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Toronto is as multi-cultural as London or NYC. That is, as multi-cultural as anywhere. Vancouver, maybe not so much.
Toronto is a heck of a lot better than the rest of the country but it is in no way as cosmopolitan as London or New York. Check out the demographics.
It is my favourite place in Canada though.

Fascinating fact, there are more black people in western Chicago than there are in the whole of Canada. Multi cultural eh???
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Does there need to be a certain percentage of black people in a population for it to count as multi-cultural these days? Surely it just needs more than one culture. And, do black people necessarily have a different culture to everyone else?

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 17th 2015 at 12:51 am.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 11:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge
Toronto is a heck of a lot better than the rest of the country but it is in no way as cosmopolitan as London or New York. Check out the demographics.
I don't know that I need the census, I can look at the office directory; more nationalities than people (and I'm not counting "Canadian", many people are something and Canadian).
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=el_richo;11749346]You'll struggle to find places such as Harpenden, etc in and around Vancouver. Mountains are nice but at sea level the areas aren't comparable at all i'm afraid. Strip malls are so ugly for one. If i had to choose with the outskirts of Vancouver / Fraser Valley or Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire would be a no brainer.

We moved from Harpenden to Coquitlam two years ago. They are very different, but you will not find Harpenden anywhere than Harpenden, mind you you will never find another Coquitlam either. We are/were happy living in both place. It is what you make it.

Happy to chat about life in Coquitlam, its certainly far more multicultural than much of Hertfordshire but fascinating in its mix!