Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Vancouver 2010

Vancouver 2010

Old May 18th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice
Default Vancouver 2010

Hi All - In planning out our move to Vancouver and the timings are landing us right around March 2010 - which is at the end of the winter Olympics and just before the Paraolympics... should we be worried about the availability of normal priced short term furnished lets (at non Olympic) pricing or do you think it will have quietened down for the first / second week of march?
Old May 19th 2009, 12:09 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vancouver 2010

My company sent out an email last year about the availability of accomodation during the Olympics and I would say that if you are planning on being in VCR during then get your accomodation sorted now (at an increased price) or move you reccie trip.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Using expedia.ca and using the dates of February 28th to March 20th, the lowest rate they bring back is an average 269/night and no hotel has rooms available every night.

Langley which is a short drive to Vancouver 60-70 minutes east has the lowest rate starting at an average of 90/night but again no hotel has rooms the entire time.

You probably wont find it very easy to find cheap accomadation until all Olympic activity has ended.

Any type of rental housing be it hotels, or apartments will be in short supply and at premium prices for the Olympics.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:56 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and find the email and post it here as it has a load of info, I think that all hotel and short term accomodation has been booked by the Olympic Committee and you have to book through them.
Old May 19th 2009, 4:34 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

One thing tho - allegedly there has been a price frees on rents - so that unscrupulous land lords cant evict peeps over the olympic time and rent out places for a lot more!

whether this is enforceable is another matter!
Old May 20th 2009, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really niceTempest is just really nice

Hi guys sorry hadn't been able to log on since I posted! Thanks for the info... I think realistically we're going to have to rethink timings... it's just hard to figure out what's best isn't it! So excited we're in the final leg of the application process but just wish we could decide when to go so we have something tangible to look forward too!

Who wants to take over making decisions for me?!