Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

US Entry for PRs

US Entry for PRs

Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice
Default US Entry for PRs

Hoping someone can help me with a question about visiting the US as a permanent resident. My husband is (obviously) a British permanent resident in Canada. We are looking at taking a trip to the US but he has concerns about being fingerprinted and asked for a DNA sample. Does anyone know what the procedure is? I know the British are subject to these new US entry rules but do the same apply to Canadian permanent residents?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: US Entry for PRs

Originally Posted by AnyaT
Hoping someone can help me with a question about visiting the US as a permanent resident. My husband is (obviously) a British permanent resident in Canada. We are looking at taking a trip to the US but he has concerns about being fingerprinted and asked for a DNA sample. Does anyone know what the procedure is? I know the British are subject to these new US entry rules but do the same apply to Canadian permanent residents?
We've been over the land border a few times, Mr B goes on his British passport (PR status in Canada). Being a PR of Canada doesn't make any difference for entry to the US. You still need the I-94 waiver (6 USD).

On previous trips there was no fingerprinting as there has been at airports, but this time (Dec 18th I think it was) they had just installed fingerprint machine and iris scanning. It was definitely new as the officer had to call another one over and she couldn't figure out the instructions.

Don't forget to give your I-94 back if you're not planning on returning within 90 days, canadian border agents don't take it out unless you ask.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There are no special rules regarding U.S. entry for Canadian permanent residents. He will need to use the visa-waiver scheme or obtain a U.S. tourist visa.

They don't take a DNA sample - but they do take a digital photograph and a digital fingerprint scan. I'm not sure about iris scanning.

If your husband becomes a Canadian citizen and uses a Canadian passport to travel to the U.S, he'll be treated as a Canadian.

Jeremy
Old Jan 14th 2006, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not sure about iris scanning.
You're right, Mr B says it was just a normal digital picture, not iris scanning at all, exactly the same procedure as has been at airports for a while.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Thanks both. HB does not have the option of applying for Canadian citizenship for another year and a half, and is dead set against giving his fingerprints to the US government, so it looks like we may have to consider other destinations.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

philcUK is an unknown quantity at this point

....and is dead set against giving his fingerprints to the US government
Why? Has he done something wrong, or is it just a principle.

I think you can sign a form so they don't send you any junk mail
Old Jan 15th 2006, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by philcUK
Why? Has he done something wrong, or is it just a principle.

I think you can sign a form so they don't send you any junk mail
He refuses just on principle, as he says he is not sure what their government will do with his information. I think he is overreacting a bit, but still he refuses to go.