Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to premium......

Upgrading to premium......

Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:51 am
Just Joined

farflungdreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgrading to premium......

Hope you guys can give me some advice.........

If I fly Lon-Calgary in September/October it is £550 one way with TC/Air Transat. They want £129 pp to upgrade to premium. Have read other threads on here saying they paid £79 per person premium. Does it depend on the month? How much in advance you book etc? Or can you do it AFTER booking cheaper via web/agent etc?

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future
Default Re: Upgrading to premium......

Hi, not sure how it works with anyone else but with Zoom it used to go by how full the flight was and the distance being travelled. Once when travelling with them I was called a few days before travelling from Ottawa to Gatwick and offered a premium upgrade for $80.

Kriss
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

I have paid less than £129pp to upgrade each time we have flown with Air-Transat. I don't think we even paid that much for the two of us to upgrade last time. It probably depends on how early or late you book. You could leave it to the last minute but you run the risk of their being no availability. There is only about 20 seats in the premimum cabin.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

mandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nicemandyandjohn is just really nice

Try Canadia Affair as their upgrade is only about £79.00 plus you can pre-book your seats for £7.00 too. £129.00 seems really expensive and I think Canadian Affair are cheaper with their flights too. I know they fly from Gatwick.

www.candadianaffair.com
Old Feb 8th 2009, 2:59 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Price out a return flight with Air Canada or British Airways and just ditch the return portion.

I had heard that premium legroom on Air Transat/Thomas Cook, etc is pretty similar to standard legroom with AC and BA (but feel free to correct me if I am wrong!)

My folks just booked a September return ticket London to Calgary for 440 pounds return with AC.

Looking at the chart below on legroom:
BA - 31"
AC - 32"
Air Transat - 29 to 33" (but is airlines unverified claim apparently)
Monarch - 28 to 29". 34" in premium economy
Thomas Cook - Long haul 33": Premium economy 35"

Quite surprising really if its legroom you are after: http://www.uk-air.net/seatpitch.htm looks like the premium economy Thomas Cook flights could be a good option if price is right!

Last edited by Flossie and Jim; Feb 8th 2009 at 3:04 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:27 pm
Permanent Resident

The Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud ofThe Ross Family has much to be proud of

We paid £69 to upgrade to premium with Thomas Cook, flying out on the 19th February.

Was interested to see that they have the best legroom as well, being a shortie don't really need it but nice to have the option to stretch out my little legs!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:54 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

I have a query about this. When I upgraded over the phone for a Thomas Cook one-way flight with Canadian Affair this March she charged me £129 each, but when I look at my flight details online it shows £79 pp. Our original flight was cancelled so they booked us on another one so I've not worked out whats going on yet with the cost breakdown, so as I need to look at the costs. All I know is £258 went on my credit card.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 10:29 pm
Banned

TheBridge003 will become famous soon enoughTheBridge003 will become famous soon enough

When we flew from london we just went for one way tickets.
A nice lady called me and offered a deal to upgrade to premium class.

As we was doing one way and the deal was good, we said yes
That was back in 2007 though

If the flight is not busy you maybe lucky to get the upgrade, it is upto you if you are willing to take the risk.

Jen