Unsettled

Old Jan 9th 2014, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

tornbetween is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Unsettled

Originally Posted by greenfreelander
Sorry...London, UK?

Do some research on the area's you'd consider living in...I moved from 'outer London' 11yrs ago to get away from the rot...stupid house prices, cost of living, transport etc (for a giggle look at train ticket cost)...im in Devon and going to Alberta in approx 2mths!

I lived most of my life in mid-sussex, which i still look back on with rose tinted glasses...visiting in September i was stunned at the urban sprawl...so sad that they will build on Everything!
There are sooo many lovely places, don't get hung-up on London...only advice i would give is, look at the work situation here first...then if kids are your next choice, do you want city or air to breathe?
Have a nose at the Tesco website for an idea of food prices...car & insurance might be fairly cheap but housing will stun you...my sister is in Watford, 2 bed post war in a 'fight for parking street' £375,000.00 (parking permit is extra) & just paid £20,000 to convert to 3rd bedroom!
Yep, London, UK. I think my wife and I may do a recce trip in the autumn to see if we really do want to live in Britain. Try to see the country through eyes of a resident, not a tourist.
I know property is expensive in much of the UK, but as I'm sure you're aware, housing is also going through the roof (no pun intended, promise!) here in Alberta. Salaries are not keeping up with house prices etc.
Small world by the way I'm from Dorset.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

anunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant futureanunlikelyunion has a brilliant future

You know, I must admit that, in a way, I agree with ALL previous posts! That's because we've only been here in Nova Scotia 7 months and although I really enjoy it, I still feel far from settled so my heart still is torn between two places.
However...you are young, childless, have a wife that is keen to give England a try, you have dual citizenship...what exactly is stopping you from giving it a whirl??? Seriously, you couldn't possibly be in a better position to take a little risk if you tried!
Give England a go, be prepared to kiss the money it'll cost to get there goodbye if it doesn't work and JUST GO!!!!
You only live once, don't dither and um and ah and live to regret not trying in the first place. Better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all, that's our motto.
Having said all that, unfortunately I have to agree with all posts about London. It's HUGELY expensive, dangerous, overcrowded and the epitome of rat-race! Lovely to visit, terrible to live in. I speak out of experience.
Good luck with everything.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anunlikelyunion
Having said all that, unfortunately I have to agree with all posts about London. It's HUGELY expensive, dangerous, overcrowded and the epitome of rat-race!
Dangerous? How is it dangerous?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

greenfreelander is an unknown quantity at this point

Sticking my nose in again!

OP-what is your current employ?

There are jobs in the UK...i did a 6 day a week commute...that's one thing that drove me away from any sort of city living.

Consider going north!? as someone in my family does...lives in Cambridge and commutes.

The job market in the SW is as usual, low wages/high cost of living...

As someone has already said, life is too short and whilst you've got a chance grab a bit of life by the ~~~'s !
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donnykins
My husband and I could muddle through in the UK, but for our children, it is no good. Schools are cramped with class sizes of 30+ children. Very few jobs available for them, when they do leave education. They can't afford to get married - can't afford to get on the housing ladder.
That may be true of where you are, but you can't say that applies to all of the UK. Class sizes aren't 30+ in every school (14 for my daughter as an example) - they were far bigger in Canada than where we are now in the UK.

All of the things you've listed above apply to Canada, again area dependent.

So whilst that may be your experience of the UK, and the reasons you're leaving, they don't apply to all areas.

Old Jan 10th 2014, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by greenfreelander
Sticking my nose in again!

OP-what is your current employ?

There are jobs in the UK...i did a 6 day a week commute...that's one thing that drove me away from any sort of city living.

Consider going north!? as someone in my family does...lives in Cambridge and commutes.

The job market in the SW is as usual, low wages/high cost of living...

As someone has already said, life is too short and whilst you've got a chance grab a bit of life by the ~~~'s !
I've been working in the carpet cleaning business since 2010 and also have a small window cleaning business. I am a keen travel writer so trying to get into that industry too. My wife is in banking. Part of the problem I worry about is work in the UK. I do think it is still a lot easier to make ends meet here in Canada than over there. There are just so many more people in the UK competing for the same job.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

You've all made some very good points and food for thought. Like many others, fear is what is holding me back if I'm honest. Fear that it would not work, fear of the unknown etc. Trying desperately to be rid of that though as it's not helping anything. I've always been one to second guess myself, to talk myself out of things when I've already made a decision.
I just do not know whether a life in the UK is sustainable for us long term. Yes, we do have the inheritance, but we do not want to squander it away. Caution is my middle name!
I do know that I do not want to stay in Alberta. Both my wife and I are bored out of our minds living here. We just find it so dull and bland. Yes, the mountains are beautiful and all that, but we've done the camping thing for years. As others have mentioned, somewhere else in Canada could be a good option. We've always been very fond of Vancouver Island.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 3:24 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by tornbetween
I do know that I do not want to stay in Alberta. Both my wife and I are bored out of our minds living here. We just find it so dull and bland. .
That is exactly how my wife and I feel about Alberta. After 5 1/2 years we feel we need a change. Currently researching into Nova Scotia.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough

"Consider going north!? as someone in my family does...lives in Cambridge and commutes."

Cambridge? North?

Here in East Yorkshire, that is definitely considered the South! LOL

It's funny from up here in 'the North'. The attitude seems to revolve around London, as if it was the centre of the Universe, but for us Northerners, we wouldn't live there for free. LOL

Last edited by Donnykins; Jan 11th 2014 at 9:35 am.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
Dangerous? How is it dangerous?
Ditto! I have felt safer walking around London in the evening than I do downtown Red Deer.