Unsettled

Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:46 am
Just Joined

tornbetween is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unsettled

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for years now and decided it's time I finally joined.
I moved to Canada with my parents in the Spring of 2005 when I was 22. The first few months I enjoyed the change and it was an exciting time, but shorty after I really felt uneasy with my surroundings, feeling as though I did not fit it. In the time since arriving, I met and married a wonderful Canadian lady.
I've now been here nearly nine years and feeling as unsettled as ever. It's no wonder really, I mean it was my parents dream and desire to move here, not mine. I just came along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, Canada has been so great to me, but it has just never felt like home.
My wife does not like living here either. When I say here, I mean Alberta. We often talk about either moving back to the U.K or another country.
If I'm honest, I've become miserable and really quite angry. I know I do not enjoy living here, but then I wonder, perhaps if we moved somewhere else I would be just as unsettled there. I think about happiness coming from within, not just the location you reside in. Maybe the problem is me?! I do hope this is making sense!
All in all, we do have a good life here in Canada, my wife has a good job and I'm trying to switch careers presently. We rent a nice house, have a good car and all that jazz etc. But what use is all of that materialism if you do not like the place you live in? I've longed for years to go back to the U.K. I think it may just be something we have to do, or at least try. My wife loves England and would like to live in London for a while. We do want children in the near future too so have to make plans with them in mind.
My wife's grandmother was born in Suffolk so she qualifies for the ancestry visa if we do decide to move back.
My mother in law sadly passed away a few months ago and left us with quite a large sum of money (not trying to boast) so it gives us many opportunities.
The last thing I want to do is be a constant ping ponger, never happy wherever I am. Anyway, sorry for the mega rant.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unsettled

Originally Posted by tornbetween
... I know I do not enjoy living here, but then I wonder, perhaps if we moved somewhere else I would be just as unsettled there.

... But what use is all of that materialism if you do not like the place you live in? I've longed for years to go back to the U.K. I think it may just be something we have to do, or at least try. My wife loves England ...
It sounds like an itch you will have to scratch, otherwise you will never know.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:53 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome

Before you decide to move away, even for a few years, i would make sure you have Canadian Citizenship, that will leave the door open for your return at a later date
Old Jan 4th 2014, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with both of the previous posts. I know what you are saying about happiness coming from within but if you don't give it a try then you will never know what is the cause of your current unsettled feelings. Now is a good time, you have money, no children as yet and it sounds like your wife is very supportive. I would say go for it, I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:49 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

+1. You're what 30? Get a move on.

Canada (especially Alberta) is not a place to spend your whole adult life if you have other options, which it sounds like you have.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. I do have Canadian citizenship and passport as my Father was born in Canada. I'm dual.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:07 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. I do have Canadian citizenship and passport as my Father was born in Canada. I'm dual.
No brainer.

London calling.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:11 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Yup enjoy, send us a post card please
Old Jan 4th 2014, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+1. You're what 30? Get a move on.

Canada (especially Alberta) is not a place to spend your whole adult life if you have other options, which it sounds like you have.
Just turned 31. That's an interesting way to put it.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How lucky are you? A loving and supportive wife, no kids yet, and a financial cushion....what are you waiting for very best of luck and happy trails!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

greenfreelander is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry...London, UK?

Do some research on the area's you'd consider living in...I moved from 'outer London' 11yrs ago to get away from the rot...stupid house prices, cost of living, transport etc (for a giggle look at train ticket cost)...im in Devon and going to Alberta in approx 2mths!

I lived most of my life in mid-sussex, which i still look back on with rose tinted glasses...visiting in September i was stunned at the urban sprawl...so sad that they will build on Everything!
There are sooo many lovely places, don't get hung-up on London...only advice i would give is, look at the work situation here first...then if kids are your next choice, do you want city or air to breathe?
Have a nose at the Tesco website for an idea of food prices...car & insurance might be fairly cheap but housing will stun you...my sister is in Watford, 2 bed post war in a 'fight for parking street' £375,000.00 (parking permit is extra) & just paid £20,000 to convert to 3rd bedroom!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough

I guess you've got to go with your heart. However...have you thought about relocating to a different part of Canada first? Just that, here in the UK life is very different from how it was when you left. My husband and I could muddle through in the UK, but for our children, it is no good. Schools are cramped with class sizes of 30+ children. Very few jobs available for them, when they do leave education. They can't afford to get married - can't afford to get on the housing ladder. I know that you have inheritance, but your potential children won't have that luxury. VAT is at 20%! Our income tax is at 40%! We honestly, cannot wait to leave. Not proud to be British any more. London is very expensive to live - as in, silly expensive. Your inheritance will not get you very far in the south of England. Not unless, you have a fantastically paid job to fund you further.

Last edited by Donnykins; Jan 9th 2014 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Golden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to allGolden-eye is a name known to all

Hi all, I've been reading these forums for years now and decided it's time I finally joined.
I moved to Canada with my parents in the Spring of 2005 when I was 22. The first few months I enjoyed the change and it was an exciting time, but shorty after I really felt uneasy with my surroundings, feeling as though I did not fit it. In the time since arriving, I met and married a wonderful Canadian lady.
I've now been here nearly nine years and feeling as unsettled as ever. It's no wonder really, I mean it was my parents dream and desire to move here, not mine. I just came along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, Canada has been so great to me, but it has just never felt like home.
My wife does not like living here either. When I say here, I mean Alberta. We often talk about either moving back to the U.K or another country.
If I'm honest, I've become miserable and really quite angry. I know I do not enjoy living here, but then I wonder, perhaps if we moved somewhere else I would be just as unsettled there. I think about happiness coming from within, not just the location you reside in. Maybe the problem is me?! I do hope this is making sense!
All in all, we do have a good life here in Canada, my wife has a good job and But what use is all of that materialism if you do not like the place you live in? I've longed for years to go back to the U.K. I think it may just be something we have to do, or at least try. I'm trying to switch careers presently. We rent a nice house, have a good car and all that jazz etc. My wife loves England and would like to live in London for a while. We do want children in the near future too so have to make plans with them in mind.
My wife's grandmother was born in Suffolk so she qualifies for the ancestry visa if we do decide to move back.
My mother in law sadly passed away a few months ago and left us with quite a large sum of money (not trying to boast) so it gives us many opportunities.
The last thing I want to do is be a constant ping ponger, never happy wherever I am. Anyway, sorry for the mega rant.
I moved here 24 years ago and truth be told, I'm an outsider, I'll always be an outsider, as soon as I open my mouth I get the daily onslaught of 'love your accent' 'where are you from', 'how long do you plan on staying here' !!!

We fell into the nice house, bigger, better, best trap! We got wrapped up in the materialism of all things North American and agree with you, if you don't like a place it only feeds a need for a while..
Don't leave it to late to follow your hearts, go try it, live your dream, if it doesn't work at least you tried.. I've often wondered why North America has this materialism culture, it's my belief that it fills a need a void in many peoples lives... In the UK and the rest of Europe there is so much History and Living culture you don't need to wrap your life up in a material world..

The 'happiness comes from within', is only valid to a point.. If where you are living doesn't 'feed your soul' then unless you plan on spending all day in a meditative chant like state, you are not going to feel 'home' Yeah we could go off on all the Spiritual jargon on 'being' I can certainly do a meditation and find some inner peace and contentment during my day, but the rest of my life isn't here in Canada,
Take the risk, follow your heart, have the adventure
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Golden-eye
I moved here 24 years ago and truth be told, I'm an outsider, I'll always be an outsider, as soon as I open my mouth I get the daily onslaught of 'love your accent' 'where are you from'
We've been here 20 years and don't get that anymore. The last time I was asked where I was from was when I was in blighty a few weeks ago. They thought I was Australian!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:51 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
We've been here 20 years and don't get that anymore. The last time I was asked where I was from was when I was in blighty a few weeks ago. They thought I was Australian!
I've had exactly the same experience. Not been here as long as you by any means, but in the first year we must have exuded fear and bewilderment. People were always asking where are we from? Who are you visiting? Do you like the weather here etc etc.

Now - nothing! I don't have a Canadian accent at all (kids do), but I must just "fit in". No one ever comments on my accent or ask where I'm from any more. Sort of miss it in a strange way. It's a bit like never being asked for ID at the Offie.

To the OP - why not try England? You can always come back if it isn't for you after all. Not sure I'd rush to London to live though. Visit - fine. To live? Not for me any more. Still you won't know unless you try.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.