Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Creatingbubbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Originally Posted by MandyStock
Many thanks for replying so quickly. It certainly sounds a lot more straight forward than applying in the UK - the UK system is such a long drawn out process. Although, as I mentioned the uni we have contacted so far, have been a little slow to reply.
So, was your daughter offered a position on her AS results when she applied in April with a proviso that her A2 results (August) were what she was expecting?
Indeed our son has a PR visa just like the rest of the family, so will pay NS Canadian rates rather than International - which is very good. We are hoping to move next year as soon as the boys break up for the Summer. Can't wait. Our other son will have just taken his GCSE's so we plan for him to finish High School there.
I would be very interested to see how you go with regards to Canadian student loans as well. I would appreciate knowing how you get on with that, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience.
Hope all goes well with your daughters move to NS and that she enjoys Uni life. Will she be in Halifax or elsewhere? Our son is currently quite keen on Acadia.
Thanks again for your help.
Mandy
Hi Mandy, sorry for the delay in replying (been back a few days). The application for the Canadian student loan/grant was made from the UK, you can do it online or by paper and fax. It was all very straightforward and took around 4-6 weeks to process. You have to ensure that your son has his Social Insurance Number in order to make the application. Also parents Social Insurance Numbers need to be documented. The move to NS has gone well so far for my daughter and we Skype everyday. I hope to be back out there by next Summer.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

MandyStock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Originally Posted by Creatingbubbles
Hi Mandy, sorry for the delay in replying (been back a few days). The application for the Canadian student loan/grant was made from the UK, you can do it online or by paper and fax. It was all very straightforward and took around 4-6 weeks to process. You have to ensure that your son has his Social Insurance Number in order to make the application. Also parents Social Insurance Numbers need to be documented. The move to NS has gone well so far for my daughter and we Skype everyday. I hope to be back out there by next Summer.
Pleased to hear that everything went well for your daughter. It is interesting know that you can apply for the Canadian student loan - I really thought we would have had to have been resident for some time before being eligible. The fact that you can also apply for that on line from UK is a huge bonus. Another job we can get done BEFORE moving. Our son is really looking forward to applying for next year. We also hope to be out there by the summer 2012. Thanks for the info. Mandy