Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Creatingbubbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Could anybody assist me please...my teenager starts uni in Nova Scotia in a few weeks. I'm trying, from the UK, to arrange insurance for student possessions for when the teen is in uni residence. I understand that most students are able to add onto to their parents' insurance, but I'm unable to do that given I'm remaining in the UK (for the moment). If anyone could provide me with the names of local insurance companies in Halifax and/or their experiences I'd be very grateful
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University residence contents insurance, NS - help!

Originally Posted by Creatingbubbles
Could anybody assist me please...my teenager starts uni in Nova Scotia in a few weeks. I'm trying, from the UK, to arrange insurance for student possessions for when the teen is in uni residence. I understand that most students are able to add onto to their parents' insurance, but I'm unable to do that given I'm remaining in the UK (for the moment). If anyone could provide me with the names of local insurance companies in Halifax and/or their experiences I'd be very grateful
Are the university unable to offer any guidance?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
Are the university unable to offer any guidance?
The Uni was my first port of call, they just responded with what seemed to be a generic answer "most students add on to their parents insurance" ... I've emailed them for the third time, explaining again that I'm in the UK, in the hope that I'll get a better response!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:11 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The Uni was my first port of call, they just responded with what seemed to be a generic answer "most students add on to their parents insurance" ... I've emailed them for the third time, explaining again that I'm in the UK, in the hope that I'll get a better response!
That's rubbish of them.

I'm not in NS but a quick google of "Halifax NS insurance" gives the following

http://www.google.ca/search?aq=0&oq=...ance+companies
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 8:51 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, you should be able to get something, contact a broker and ask for info on a residential tenant's package
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

When my daughter was in residence at a school in NS there was no requirement for insurance. You might want to check that it's mandatory before shelling out for it.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi all, thanks for the responses - looks like Google CA is going to be my friend then The uni got back to me with a better reply; a link to Yellow Pages CA and some names of local companies. The uni has said that insurance is needed. We land next week, I'm thinking that I may have to wait until I'm in the country before arranging it. Thanks again for your help
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

We used Metro Insurance Services, really helpful lady called Vicki Hopkinson. Will email you her details.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by val50
We used Metro Insurance Services, really helpful lady called Vicki Hopkinson. Will email you her details.
Thanks Val!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

you could also try RBC Insurance!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really niceWinston Green is just really nice

I use Johnsons for all my insurance needs. Never had a problem and they are always helpful.email this lady and she will put you in the right direction

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 26th 2011 at 9:05 am. Reason: Pls don't put email adds on a public forum - they won't thank you when inundated with spam! People can PM you for it.
Old Aug 26th 2011, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks Shelly748 and Winston Green
Old Aug 28th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

MandyStock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am sorry I cannot help with your query, but was hoping that you maybe able to help me. We have landed in NS, but had to return to UK until house sale, finish of work etc. We are planning to arrive (again) July 2012. Our son will have just finished his A levels and will be hopefully applying to attend a Uni in NS. So far we haven't had much useful feedback when we have contacted the Uni's. We have tried to find out how we can apply, when our son is a Permanent Resident of NS, but currently living in the UK, but to no avail. How did you get around this problem? Did you struggle as we have so far, or was the Uni your son/daughter applied to, were they helpful? Was the recognition of A level results straight forward? Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.
Many thanks & sorry for changing the direction of this topic.
Mandy
Old Aug 29th 2011, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MandyStock
Hi, I am sorry I cannot help with your query, but was hoping that you maybe able to help me. We have landed in NS, but had to return to UK until house sale, finish of work etc. We are planning to arrive (again) July 2012. Our son will have just finished his A levels and will be hopefully applying to attend a Uni in NS. So far we haven't had much useful feedback when we have contacted the Uni's. We have tried to find out how we can apply, when our son is a Permanent Resident of NS, but currently living in the UK, but to no avail. How did you get around this problem? Did you struggle as we have so far, or was the Uni your son/daughter applied to, were they helpful? Was the recognition of A level results straight forward? Any advice/pointers would be appreciated.
Many thanks & sorry for changing the direction of this topic.
Mandy
Hi Mandy, it was all quite straightforward. My daughter applied online to the uni from the UK. An application fee was paid and her A Level results were faxed by the school with a reference. All that was done in April this year and she was offered a place at the beginning of June. The uni have been excellent at keeping us informed all the way through by uni email account which was set up as soon as she accepted the place. Her A levels were recognised and she was even offered the option of going straight to the second year (which she has decided not to do). As my daughter has a Permanent Resident visa the fees will be the same as Canadian students and not the International rate which was very high! All the fees can be paid online which has been really straightforward. I'm assuming that your son has a Permanent Resident visa? If you have any other queries I'll try and help
Old Aug 29th 2011, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

MandyStock is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mandy, it was all quite straightforward. My daughter applied online to the uni from the UK. An application fee was paid and her A Level results were faxed by the school with a reference. All that was done in April this year and she was offered a place at the beginning of June. The uni have been excellent at keeping us informed all the way through by uni email account which was set up as soon as she accepted the place. Her A levels were recognised and she was even offered the option of going straight to the second year (which she has decided not to do). As my daughter has a Permanent Resident visa the fees will be the same as Canadian students and not the International rate which was very high! All the fees can be paid online which has been really straightforward. I'm assuming that your son has a Permanent Resident visa? If you have any other queries I'll try and help
Many thanks for replying so quickly. It certainly sounds a lot more straight forward than applying in the UK - the UK system is such a long drawn out process. Although, as I mentioned the uni we have contacted so far, have been a little slow to reply.
So, was your daughter offered a position on her AS results when she applied in April with a proviso that her A2 results (August) were what she was expecting?
Indeed our son has a PR visa just like the rest of the family, so will pay NS Canadian rates rather than International - which is very good. We are hoping to move next year as soon as the boys break up for the Summer. Can't wait. Our other son will have just taken his GCSE's so we plan for him to finish High School there.
I would be very interested to see how you go with regards to Canadian student loans as well. I would appreciate knowing how you get on with that, if you wouldn't mind sharing your experience.
Hope all goes well with your daughters move to NS and that she enjoys Uni life. Will she be in Halifax or elsewhere? Our son is currently quite keen on Acadia.
Thanks again for your help.
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.