Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A United North America?

A United North America?

Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default A United North America?

I caught the end of a news segment tonight that suggested that The U.S and Canada might consider uniting like the European union. This would mean free trade and the ability for labour mobility between countries.

I couldn't imagine that happening some how!? Although I'd love to migrate further south without any visa restrictions...I feel like I'm living in Siberia at the moment!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:54 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A United North America?

Originally Posted by Interested
I caught the end of a news segment tonight that suggested that The U.S and Canada might consider uniting like the European union. This would mean free trade and the ability for labour mobility between countries.

I couldn't imagine that happening some how!? Although I'd love to migrate further south without any visa restrictions...I feel like I'm living in Siberia at the moment!

Somehow with the softwood lumber dispute and the beef embargo - well I can't see that one happening soon....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Yeah it doesn't seem too likely...just heard that Mexico would join as well!

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Somehow with the softwood lumber dispute and the beef embargo - well I can't see that one happening soon....
Old Mar 15th 2005, 2:26 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Well if it does ever happen and you find yourself in a position to migrate further south then keep going well on past my house. I got the Siberia syndrome too and know exactly how you feel. I used to like snow before I moved here, f'kin sick to death of the stuff now.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:54 am
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all

Perhaps the 2 coastal regions and the great lake states (except Ohio after what they did to us last year) will declair their independance from the US and join Canada as 3 new provinces.

In that case the remaining bible belt could reconstitute itself as "The United Republic of Texas"

And Mexico, I guess it would only be worth concqering if they found more oil.

Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Although I'd love to migrate further south without any visa restrictions...I feel like I'm living in Siberia at the moment!
I'm waiting for the Turks & Caicos Islands to join Canada...I read something about this last year. Hope it wasn't an April Fool, really got me interested!!!!

Biiiiink
Old Mar 15th 2005, 8:23 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
Perhaps the 2 coastal regions and the great lake states (except Ohio after what they did to us last year) will declair their independance from the US and join Canada as 3 new provinces.

In that case the remaining bible belt could reconstitute itself as "The United Republic of Texas"

This means War!!

Hey If you are an American Citizen, does this allow you to settle anywhere (including Hawaii)?
Old Mar 15th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that there's discussions on common border security and maybe expanding free trade but I doubt whther there's going to be any political union.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

How does that differ to the current NAFTA agreements? There is relatively free trade, and for skilled workers at least a canadian citizzen can get a TN1 visa at the border with minimal fuss if they have a job lined up in the States.

The only thing that realy needs addressing is streamlining the customs arrangements at the border. Right now there is an extraordinary amount of paperwork for even the simplest transactions.

I cant see canada giving up its own currency, but from a business point of view its almost a moot point anyway. My canadian division does all transactions in $US now anyway, and I know several other companies (mainly selling to the US market) who also deal only in US$, even if selling to a canadian company.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 1:16 pm
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

So would Canada be another state, or would we have the "decency" of each province constituting their own "State-ship"!!
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mhhp

I don't think they're looking hard enough , they know their neighbours are the friendly Bush/Bin Laden family!
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

heycronie is an unknown quantity at this point

As a Canadian I can assure you the people here just laugh at that as a joke. Except maybe all those corporate smudges that alread sold half of Canada already. The NAFTA is already a friggan joke as trading with the U.S seems to worthless and pointless(well not worthless) at this point with Beef,lumber, etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

dawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant futuredawnwynne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ksct97
So would Canada be another state, or would we have the "decency" of each province constituting their own "State-ship"!!
LOL I highly doubt that it would ever be like that. Do you envision the UK becoming simply a state of Europe? Hmmm....might happen. :scared:
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by dawnwynne
Do you envision the UK becoming simply a state of Europe? Hmmm....might happen. :scared:
Absolutely. Guess who wants to be President?
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by heycronie
As a Canadian I can assure you the people here just laugh at that as a joke. Except maybe all those corporate smudges that alread sold half of Canada already. The NAFTA is already a friggan joke as trading with the U.S seems to worthless and pointless(well not worthless) at this point with Beef,lumber, etc.
Wait till US wants more of your oil. Your best friend again?

Conspiricy theory.

Why open up Alaska's oil fields or use Canada's huge resourses when firstly you need to bleed the middle east dry. Then you are left with those who have the materials left remaining in control. US congress continually oppossed to opening up Alaska even though we could be looking at $80 a barrel.

Is my mind going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.