UKTV in BC

Old Jan 14th 2015, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Char1esT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UKTV in BC

Hello Everyone,
I've recently moved to Vancouver and my home cable is set up with SHAW. They've given me a router and my TV gets channels from the Shaw router. The problem is that I'm quite a novice when it comes to techy stuff. I'd like to set something up at home so that I can then access BBC iplayer and other channels like ITV and Ch4 - problem is that they recognize I'm not in the UK. Can anyone help me with some advice on what to do. I'm afraid you'll have to pretend you're talking to a relative novice. I'm tecky enough to post this request, but when it comes to IP addresses etc...I'm in the dark. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. C
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

BexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond reputeBexB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UKTV in BC

Originally Posted by Char1esT
Hello Everyone,
I've recently moved to Vancouver and my home cable is set up with SHAW. They've given me a router and my TV gets channels from the Shaw router. The problem is that I'm quite a novice when it comes to techy stuff. I'd like to set something up at home so that I can then access BBC iplayer and other channels like ITV and Ch4 - problem is that they recognize I'm not in the UK. Can anyone help me with some advice on what to do. I'm afraid you'll have to pretend you're talking to a relative novice. I'm tecky enough to post this request, but when it comes to IP addresses etc...I'm in the dark. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks. C
I'm not techy either! I have downloaded some free software called hola unblocker to my computer. It fools the channel provider into thinking you're based in the UK. You can then watch BBC Iplayer etc. To watch it on the TV, you just need a cable to connect the two.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Char1esT
Hello Everyone,
What internet browser are you using? Chrome and Firefox have Hola! Better Internet as an addon to download, worked perfectly for me streaming
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Hi ChrisBan. My Samsung TV came with its own browser which I currently use to watch youtube. Do I need to download another browser?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the better UK programs are shown on channel 5 (Knowledge Network). You also get a few on channel 27 (KCTS from Seattle).

Otherwise search on here for the myriad number of threads on how to use a VPN.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BexB. Much appreciated. Sounds quite simple.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

JonboyE, Knowledge network is all I really watch. I've got a bunch of channels, but I keep going back to ch5.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

General Canadian/US TV insults my intelligence. Terribly!
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to watch it on the browser on your TV, you need a DNS service.

We use UnoTelly and have the DNS server addresses in our Router. You can try UnoTelly for free for at least a month - you have to 'Like' them on Facebook or Twit them on Twitter or something...

We have a Roku on another TV and router-level DNS is the only way to get a Roku to be able to receive UK telly.

If you want even more Britishness, such as being able to log in to some UK websites (Tesco Clubcard, National Lottery and others), you need a VPN service.

Last edited by withabix; Jan 14th 2015 at 8:45 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. What is a router level dns? Also, what exactly is a dns service?
Old Jan 14th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

You can view several UK channels (including BBC) live, without bothering with a VPN. Of course the timings aren't always convenient - but just point your browser to FILMON TV FREE LIVE TV MOVIES AND SOCIAL TELEVISION and click on the live tv option. You can even get the BBC regions...
Old Jan 14th 2015, 11:28 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We use expat shield, which again hides your internet address so the TV station thinks you're in the UK. There is an advert-free version which I think costs us $29 each year. We have recently bought a new, faster laptop with a decent processor and 8gb of RAM (memory) and it streams seamlessly now. We've plugged a cordless keyboard and mouse into the laptop (attached to the TV with a HDMI cable) so we can use the TV like a big computer screen for youtube and the like as well.

Search either expat shield or Hotspot (I think - on wrong computer at the mo').
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BexB
I'm not techy either! I have downloaded some free software called hola unblocker to my computer. It fools the channel provider into thinking you're based in the UK. You can then watch BBC Iplayer etc. To watch it on the TV, you just need a cable to connect the two.
If you are using the free version of Hola, you may want to know how it works Hola (VPN) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may work, not keen myself of having others going though my computer and internet connection.
Old Jan 15th 2015, 3:31 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

"Film on" is also an iPhone and iPad app, easy peesy live UK TV
Old Jan 15th 2015, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

And you can set Filmon to record. Especially if timing is a problem - my wife does not want to watch emmerdale at 3.00am here! you then click on the download button and save it. Transfer to USB , plug into TV and watch when you like. We love it! All UK channels plus about 500 others!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.