Reload this Page >

UK vs Canada - work in construction

UK vs Canada - work in construction

Old Jul 21st 2013, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

keetrab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK vs Canada - work in construction

Hi there,

I work as a Senior/Project Engineer (7 years exp) for a medium size subbie in London (concrete,steel, structural alterations/demolition/new built etc... you name it) and recently been thinking about moving to Canada - no location decided yet.

Can anyone share their experience of working in construction in Canada in places like Vancouver for example compared to the UK/London? What are commercial or housing sectors like in Vancouver? Work culture, working hours etc... (I feel I've been working 24/7/365 in the UK ) I understand that working on heavy civil projects in remote locations can be painful and this is what I would like to avoid.

Cheers,
B.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:56 am
Just Joined

CraneOperator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK vs Canada - work in construction

I'm operating tower cranes in Vancouver since January coming from Northern Ireland due to lack of work in construction. The first thing that hit me was the the sheer amount of construction work its unreal. There are over 170 tower cranes up already and permission passed to double that number in 6 months. I noticed they aren't as strict about H&S stuff on site compared to the uk. Depending on company they work less hours as well which is great for spending time with family
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CraneOperator
I noticed they aren't as strict about H&S stuff on site
Until a WCB inspector comes around!
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

keetrab is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraneOperator
I'm operating tower cranes in Vancouver since January coming from Northern Ireland due to lack of work in construction. The first thing that hit me was the the sheer amount of construction work its unreal. There are over 170 tower cranes up already and permission passed to double that number in 6 months. I noticed they aren't as strict about H&S stuff on site compared to the uk. Depending on company they work less hours as well which is great for spending time with family
Thanks for that I heard that in general working in Canada is more "family friendly" and actually gives you a chance to have a life after work unlike in the UK unfortunately

Any Engineers who could share their findings?

Cheers,
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keetrab
Thanks for that I heard that in general working in Canada is more "family friendly" and actually gives you a chance to have a life after work unlike in the UK
Dependent on job surely? My husband generally leaves the office at 5pm in the UK, but usually worked later in Canada. Don't forget to factor in the potential of a couple of weeks less holiday too.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Peds500 has a spectacular aura aboutPeds500 has a spectacular aura aboutPeds500 has a spectacular aura about

I've been in my new job, as a construction manager, for 2 weeks now. I work out of Toronto, and generally the hours are better than the UK, I even get 1/2 days on a Friday during the summer and winter months.

The thing that I am struggling with at the moment is new building codes/practices and of course working in imperial!! I find myself working twice as long on something that would usually take me no time at all. I agree about the health and safety, I thought that is would be a lot more strict here, but it's te other way around!! (Until the WCB turn up)

I'm still unsure about the whole thing, but that's probably because homesickness has kicked in and at the moment I am out of my comfort zone. Just remember, commuting can be a nightmare (especially in Toronto) so bear that in mind when you factor in your working day. My 60 mile commute takes me 2 hours each way, an I can't wait to move closer to cut my commute!!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:26 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

WCB dont do site visits with regard to safety OH&S do. I dont find work conditions and hours any different to the UK...what i find is that UK construction companies in general are more professional and better run especially sub contractors...a lot of Canadian companies im sorry to say would not last five minutes in the UK construction industry
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Peds500 has a spectacular aura aboutPeds500 has a spectacular aura aboutPeds500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
WCB dont do site visits with regard to safety OH&S do. I dont find work conditions and hours any different to the UK...what i find is that UK construction companies in general are more professional and better run especially sub contractors...a lot of Canadian companies im sorry to say would not last five minutes in the UK construction industry
I second that.........I think that is what I'm struggling with as well!!