Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk Tv in Canada

Uk Tv in Canada

Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Tv in Canada

I have been told on a previous thread that you can subscribe to a company and watch UK TV either through your tv on PC, its called I think UKTV2C.

Does anybody know anything about it, had any dealings with the company or have any other recommendations.

I am not a tv addict and really cant abide the Canadian/ American network, with winter an Christmas approaching I thought it would be nice.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:32 am
Seacroft to Vancouver

chrisconvy_99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk Tv in Canada

Originally Posted by chinook
I have been told on a previous thread that you can subscribe to a company and watch UK TV either through your tv on PC, its called I think UKTV2C.

Does anybody know anything about it, had any dealings with the company or have any other recommendations.

I am not a tv addict and really cant abide the Canadian/ American network, with winter an Christmas approaching I thought it would be nice.
come on, anyone know? im missing corrie and benders as well as hollyoaks loo
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chinook

Hi Gary I didn't know you were a soap buff like me before we came over we looked into something offering UK tv but to be honest it was a load rubbish. As they offered you a lot of channels that you hadn't even heard of or could be bothered to watch and the cost was very expensive. I watch Eastenders on BBC Canada it is 6 months behind but still nostalgic to watch also can't remember the name of the channel but I have seen corrie also behind buy hey ho!

Rachel
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

amardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant futureamardan has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by amardan
Hi Gary I didn't know you were a soap buff like me before we came over we looked into something offering UK tv but to be honest it was a load rubbish. As they offered you a lot of channels that you hadn't even heard of or could be bothered to watch and the cost was very expensive. I watch Eastenders on BBC Canada it is 6 months behind but still nostalgic to watch also can't remember the name of the channel but I have seen corrie also behind buy hey ho!

Rachel
Hi sorry replied to wrong post the first part relates to you the second relates to the question about soaps. This is what staying up late does for you.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:04 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

http://www.uktv2c.com/index.htm is the site you're after. There are a couple of similar sites but these are the cheapest and supposedly the best.

It is pricey, but you can get terrestial UK TV and even subscribe to Sky.

M.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:54 pm
wannabecalgarian

xxTinksxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Subscribing
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

That's neat, they charge you £100 for the installation (i.e. you are paying for a Slingbox) and then £30+ a month for a broadband connection at their end. Nice little earner for them and still illegal AFAIK but if it works for you
An alternative (and which is what I'll probably do at some point) is get a Slingbox installed at a family/friends place and linked into their broadband. Should cost less than about £150 all-in and still give the same service.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

Check out UKNOVA.com, you can download ALOT of shows including the usuals like Eastenders, Corrie, TopGear etc... and it's all free of charge. I just download whatever I want onto my laptop, connect the laptop to the TV and Bob's your uncle!

Only slight downside is that you need to wait roughly 24 hours between a show being aired in the UK and it being available for download, you will also need a reasonably good broadband connection to download the shows in a reasonable amount of time.

Best of luck!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antstar
Only slight downside is that you need to wait roughly 24 hours between a show being aired in the UK and it being available for download, you will also need a reasonably good broadband connection to download the shows in a reasonable amount of time.

Best of luck!
Shows like East Enders are normally only about 6 hours behind on UK Nova. Download speeds have recently been painfully slow though, and we in theory have a 10 MB connection.

Also look at thebox.bz. Their current download speeds have generally been better but the shows take a little longer to appear. They gave a couple of downsides relative to UKNova (i) They are sensitive souls, so you can easiliy be banned from using the site (ii) They allow some copyrighted material that UKNova don't so there is a remote chance of the midnight knock on the door
Old Oct 11th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

You can watch online with a proxy all the 5 main channels. At the moment I have a p.c. connected to my main TV, then watch any programmes just as I would in the UK. It is certain that you will not get one everyday but so far i have most days.
If you wish to pay (start about $10 pm) then there are things like Virtual private networks(VPN) which pretty much guarantee you that UK tv is possible. If your unsure then just pm me.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem with uknova or the box. Been a member of uknova since beginning of 2004.

What I have a problem with is Bell capping the speed on bittorent downloads in the evening, to something like 30 kb/s which is a complete joke. I have to get the downloads when they appear in the late afternoon.

For example eastenders on uknova is available around 30 minutes after it is shown.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point

Rachel,

I cant beleive you thought I was a soap buff!!!!!! especially Eastenders. If I wanted to listen to shouting, arguing and domestic violence I could turn the TV off and listen more to Sharon!!!!!

I am going to look into the Uk thing as I miss my Brit tv, not that I get to much of a chance to watch it with curly top now on the scene.

When is the pool tournament!!!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 11:32 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babsi
What I have a problem with is Bell capping the speed on bittorent downloads in the evening, to something like 30 kb/s which is a complete joke. I have to get the downloads when they appear in the late afternoon.
Look for a torrent client with encryption like Vuze, with encrypted torrents, the packet shaping software does not know you are downloading a torrent and can't restrict your speeds...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Chivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant futureChivers52 has a brilliant future

I have UKNova as well, the problem is that you have to watch your cap level with your internet supplier, you don't have this worry when using a proxy, watch as much as you want when you want. no probs so far.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:34 am
Just Joined

jacknott is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chivers52
You can watch online with a proxy all the 5 main channels. At the moment I have a p.c. connected to my main TV, then watch any programmes just as I would in the UK. It is certain that you will not get one everyday but so far i have most days.
If you wish to pay (start about $10 pm) then there are things like Virtual private networks(VPN) which pretty much guarantee you that UK tv is possible. If your unsure then just pm me.
Which VPN or proxy server are you using,we tried one but it was useless, didn't have the bandwidth to play anything, and it wasn't at our end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.