Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:29 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

Originally Posted by Lyndon001
i did that last month

£20 to orange to unlock the phone

$25 for the PAYG Sim card (Rogers)

$25 connection fee

$40 worth of credit.

you may want to note the following though

received calls also come off you bill

Cell phones are are specific, if you buy it in Calgary then that is you local area, any calls made from outside of that area are long distance.

PAYG can be changed to pay monthly if yo wish

You can normally choose the last 4 digits

Companies try to tie you into up to 3 year contracts but thats to actually get the handset, we are taking phones from uk so we dont have to get tied in.

We seemed to get a strong signal wherever we were in Southern Alberta

Almost forgot, we tried all the providers and found that only Rogers did sim card only

Hope that helps

Lyndon
Fido do sim cards as well.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by louise033
Fido do sim cards as well.
Fido and Rogers are the same company now. Rogers acquired them in 2004.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desire68
Guy,s

A quick question for you. Can I use my UK triband(unlocked) mobile phone on a Canadian network?

Cheers,

Mike.
I use my quad band phone here. Its fine on a rogers sim card pay as you go. but i cant access the internet or email on it, due to something technical that cant be changed and i cant send text to the uk due to Rogers and me not making a call to sort it out.

For me, as I only use text and rarely use the speech part it would have been cheaper to stay with tesco pay as you go. The problem with that was that some text messages didnt arrive, I think because the senders phone wouldnt accept international messages
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a blackberry pearl. I'm on an 18 month contract and have another year to go. The blackberry can be unlocked. (I also have an old BB 7100).

I might have the pearl unlocked regardless of what happens now. I prefer it to the old BB.

I already have a pay monthly with Rogers in place and should everything fall in to place I'll be adding BB support on the rogers account and kick it in to touch. The contract in UK will be handed over to another person.

And yes, Rogers bought Fido in 2004.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

mctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nicemctunes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Fido and Rogers are the same company now. Rogers acquired them in 2004.
Yes, but they are run as separate entities, and have different plans/rates.

Mike.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mctunes
Yes, but they are run as separate entities, and have different plans/rates.

Mike.

You are absolutely correct!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:31 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

Sorry for any confusion, before we went to Canada my wife and i both got our phones unlocked, it cost us £20 each for that but we like the handsets and intended to take them over with us anyway. There is a market stall in Swindon that will unlock them a lot cheaper but that was our choice.

We went to the Rogers shop in Lethbridge and bought the sim card and had it activated there and then in te shop, that was $50.

i obviously needed credit on it so i purchased $40 worth of credit while i was there.

the way i look at it is, it cost me $50 to set up.

Next month when we go over for good, i will change it to the pay monthly (still no contract to sign) and take advantage of the cheaper packages.

i looked on the Virgin website, that phone for $49 is a bit basic, i do like the 2megapixel camera on the Nokia N70 that i use now, all the pics on my blog are taken with it and i am very happy with it, a similar phone from virgin would be $179.

I s'pose it depends what you want the phone for and also the tarriffs, has anyone out there done a comparison for calling anywhere in Canada or from the States.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 12:27 am
Ontario

Sutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to beholdSutherlands is a splendid one to behold

Triband phones work in Various countries, they use different frequency bands for their mobile networks, and a triband phone can be used on three of these bands, generally speaking, chosen to favour two of the home country's bands, and one for roaming in other countries.

You need to know what kind you have:

In summary GSM frequency bands used around the world are:

850 MHz (In America)
900 MHz (In Europe and many parts of Asia)
1800 MHz (In Europe and Asia)
1900 MHz (In America)

2G Triband phones are mobile phones that support the GSM 900/1800/1900 MHz bands (commonly sold in Europe, Asia, and Africa), or alternatively the 850/1800/1900 bands (commonly sold in the Americas).

A 2G Quad band (850/900/1800/1900) offers more coverage and is now quite common.

Here is a link that can show you if your phone can work in that area/country
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands
Old Jun 24th 2007, 5:01 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

in addition to sutherlands post:

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_ca.shtml
Old Jun 24th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

I got a PAYG so from rogers when i was in BC at Easter, and negotiated away the fee by buying $100 credit for it. Got my handset unlocked by Vodafone for free by asking and explaining why and had been customer for so long too.
Texted to UK from Canada no problems, but does not roam in UK which was a real shame.

BTW, the reason i got the $100 credit was that it dosent expire after 30 days or anything, so i wouldnt lose the number when i came back to UK for 3 months to finish up.

Yes, will change it to monthly once get ther permanently in just 9 days
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robski

Yes, will change it to monthly once get ther permanently in just 9 days
I've now spent 3hrs on the phone with them trying to make a change to my plan. Not even a change I wanted, just needed a new number with mobile nos. being geographic. That means I couldn't keep my Manitoba plan (which I didn't even know was a Manitoba one as it came off their national website), and they can't put me on an Ontario one for some unknown reason. It's all been a little "computer says no" in many ways

Good luck when your turn comes!
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Oh oh, good to know so can be pre-warned, thank you.
Old Jun 24th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
I've got a blackberry pearl. I'm on an 18 month contract and have another year to go. The blackberry can be unlocked. (I also have an old BB 7100).

I might have the pearl unlocked regardless of what happens now. I prefer it to the old BB.

I already have a pay monthly with Rogers in place and should everything fall in to place I'll be adding BB support on the rogers account and kick it in to touch. The contract in UK will be handed over to another person.

And yes, Rogers bought Fido in 2004.
Can you explain a bit more about Blackberry? What will it give me that my textphone doesnt? I have found that the texting isnt as instant as it was in the UK, I wondered if it could be a phone thing or more likely the Rogers network? Are the emails pretty instant?
I wonder if a Blackberry will be more use to me as a hard of hearing person than the motorola SLVR i have
thanks
Old Jun 25th 2007, 12:41 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've now spent 3hrs on the phone with them trying to make a change to my plan. Not even a change I wanted, just needed a new number with mobile nos. being geographic. That means I couldn't keep my Manitoba plan (which I didn't even know was a Manitoba one as it came off their national website), and they can't put me on an Ontario one for some unknown reason. It's all been a little "computer says no" in many ways

Good luck when your turn comes!
The legend of Rogers customer service continues
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
The legend of Rogers customer service continues
My first experience of it. I've had no cause to contact them until now.

You know how we've left it after my three hours of being on hold? I've to phone them on 20th July and see if they've managed to change my plan by then. Rubbish or what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.