Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:25 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold
Default UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

Guy,s

A quick question for you. Can I use my UK triband(unlocked) mobile phone on a Canadian network?

Cheers,

Mike.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Triband phone on a Canadian network??

yes. Rogers do sim cards.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desire68
Guy,s

A quick question for you. Can I use my UK triband(unlocked) mobile phone on a Canadian network?

Cheers,

Mike.
Hi Mike

Think that you have to choose a network who works off sim cards and and as I understand it there arent too many of those around

Gaynor
x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:29 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YYZlover
yes. Rogers do sim cards.
Ah Thats great news. Thanks.

Mike
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:31 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Ah Thats great news. Thanks.

Mike
It would be if it wasnt so expensive...
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:35 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
It would be if it wasnt so expensive...
Well i allready have the mobile sony ericsson W880i and i'll just get the pay as you go chip from Rogers thaty's got to be a bit of a cost saver right there!

Mike.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:40 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

i did that last month

£20 to orange to unlock the phone

$25 for the PAYG Sim card (Rogers)

$25 connection fee

$40 worth of credit.

you may want to note the following though

received calls also come off you bill

Cell phones are are specific, if you buy it in Calgary then that is you local area, any calls made from outside of that area are long distance.

PAYG can be changed to pay monthly if yo wish

You can normally choose the last 4 digits

Companies try to tie you into up to 3 year contracts but thats to actually get the handset, we are taking phones from uk so we dont have to get tied in.

We seemed to get a strong signal wherever we were in Southern Alberta

Almost forgot, we tried all the providers and found that only Rogers did sim card only

Hope that helps

Lyndon
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:45 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

Originally Posted by Lyndon001
i did that last month

$25 connection fee

$40 worth of credit.

you may want to note the following though

received calls also come off you bill

Cell phones are are specific, if you buy it in Calgary then that is you local area, any calls made from outside of that area are long distance.

PAYG can be changed to pay monthly if yo wish

You can normally choose the last 4 digits

Companies try to tie you into up to 3 year contracts but thats to actually get the handset, we are taking phones from uk so we dont have to get tied in.

We seemed to get a strong signal wherever we were in Southern Alberta

Almost forgot, we tried all the providers and found that only Rogers did sim card only

Hope that helps

Lyndon
Lyndon that's great info there. My mobile is an unlocked unit from O2 so saved some cash there and i'm looking to do the PAYG route so no 3 year tie in for me. I'm just glad i dont have to get rid of my new UK mobile only to go and buy one in Victoria BC.

Mike.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

The out-of-contract Mobile phones here cost a fortune, so it's a good idea if you have a decent UK phone to bring it with you.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I've used unlocked UK tribands since we got here, no problem (Rogers). I suppose if you were going to rural areas often you'd be better with a locally bought phone - don't they switch over to whatever-it-is if the normal network can't be picked up? Dunno.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:35 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've used unlocked UK tribands since we got here, no problem (Rogers). I suppose if you were going to rural areas often you'd be better with a locally bought phone - don't they switch over to whatever-it-is if the normal network can't be picked up? Dunno.
No , the coverage is generally fine anyway here, its the

$25 connection fee

$40 worth of credit.
I make that $130 for $40 call time! you can buy a whole new virgin phone with $10 on it for 50 bucks. I dont think its worth the extra to continue to use your UK phone, but Im a cheap bugger as you know And I havent even brought up rogers er...."interesting".. attitude to customer service

I suppose if you were really in the boonies access to the analogue network would be a plus to now you mention it.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 22nd 2007 at 4:39 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:39 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

No , the coverage is generally fine anyway here, its the

I make that $130 for $40 call time! you can buy a whole new virgin phone with $10 on it for 50 bucks. I dont think its worth the extra to continue to use your UK phone, but Im a cheap bugger as you know And I havent even brought up rogers er...."interesting".. attitude to customer service

I suppose if you were really in the boonies access to the analogue netowrk would be a plus to now you mention it.
Am i missing somthing as i make it only $90 for $40 call time.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:40 pm
Canadiain

Am i missing somthing as i make it only $90 for $40 call time.
Maybe I misunderstood, It looked to me like the $40 call time was not included with the rogers sim.
£20 = 40, +25 +25 +40 =130

Even at $90, its still $10 more than a new virgin phone with $40 credit. In fact if someone "pimps" you out to virgin (Ill do it) , you can start off with $20 call time on your $50 phone anyway.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 22nd 2007 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:41 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

Maybe I misunderstood, was the $40 call time included with the rogers sim, or paid for on top

£20 = 40, +25 +25 +40 =130
Ah, My mobil came unlocked as do all O2 units bought at an o2 shop.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:43 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

Ah, My mobil came unlocked as do all O2 units bought at an o2 shop.
I think that the $40 was paid on top.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.