Reload this Page >

UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:53 am
Just Joined

kennykill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Originally Posted by delsol79
Hey - you don't need to worry about converters for your TV, just get an American style plug for it or a plug converter. Same for laptop and desktop. The only one I would not be sure of is the blue-ray player but again I think fine, all my DVD players work fine. Just check it says 110~240v on it.

No idea why people are telling you to get converters. All the devices you listed are variable voltage!

Second the NTSC/PAL thing - not been relevant for many years now unless your TV is from the 90s which yours is clearly not.
Thanks delsol79! I actually did a bit more research just yesterday and discovered what you've just told me! I've still to check the back of my tv next time I'm at my storage locker but I'm pretty sure it will be dual voltage which will be brilliant if it is! I had a feeling all this talk about converters was too much! The blu-ray is sony too so I'm sure that it will be the same as well.

I'm not concerned about NTSC/PAL. All I do is just run a HDMI cable from the sky box / cable box to my tv and I'm good to go!

Thanks again for the help guys.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:40 pm
Been here a while ...

prairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant future

Hi there.

I'm a bit of a "SONY-Boy".

Almost every device I have is a SONY (I'm happy with my sadness ?!).

I'll be surprised if any of your SONY kit is variable voltage i.e. TV, DVD, CD, clock radio etc ... SONY distribute specifically to regions Europe, North America, Asia and respond (irritatingly sometimes) to whats required there and then.

I'm going thru a painful process of unplugging and 'ebaying' most of my stuff before we move over next year. You really can't have a transformer attached to every device can you !!!

Not checked it out fully but be aware of domestic insurance policy conditions / restrictions. It may be folklore / rumour but I read somewhere that 'foreign' kit can be a problem. Where I read it and what was meant by 'foreign' I can't recall. Not helpful - I know !! I need to find out the ansa myself as I don't want to ignore the detail in a hope of saving a few $$$ but a claim that turns void might mean losing $$$$$$ !!! main point 1. Somewhere in the tiny, tiny print it might not cover the use of convertors and 2. Is the device certified to be used in Canada/US (a logo will be printed on the device ... looks a bit like C/US will a logo in between), similar to the safety logo for Europe "CE".

SONY VAIOs will work fine as they are powered thru an adapter that switches automatically between 110-220V ~ 50/60Hz.

Anyone to add?
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prairiedog
Not checked it out fully but be aware of domestic insurance policy conditions / restrictions. It may be folklore / rumour but I read somewhere that 'foreign' kit can be a problem. Where I read it and what was meant by 'foreign' I can't recall. Not helpful - I know !! I need to find out the ansa myself as I don't want to ignore the detail in a hope of saving a few $$$ but a claim that turns void might mean losing $$$$$$ !!! main point 1. Somewhere in the tiny, tiny print it might not cover the use of convertors and 2. Is the device certified to be used in Canada/US (a logo will be printed on the device ... looks a bit like C/US will a logo in between), similar to the safety logo for Europe "CE".
Bollocks. Show us an example of a company declining a claim on this basis in the US or Canada. For that matter, an example of an insurer declining a claim on this basis anywhere in the world, ever, would be of interest.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:07 pm
Been here a while ...

prairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant futureprairiedog has a brilliant future

Sorry I spoke...

Right me thinks about SONY kit ...

... waiting for a further friendly response.

Talking insurance claims - mate of mine fitted a tow bar to his car (a technical amendment). Oversight on his part and didn't register it with the insurance company. Why would he? He got hit from behind - not his fault -took 2 years to settle his claim.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:09 pm
Been here a while ...

Furthermore would you risk $400,000 on knowing an answer to a question (excluding Chris Tarrant?).
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Furthermore would you risk $400,000 on knowing an answer to a question
I suppose there's a catch to this question I'm not seeing but, on the face of it, yes, of course, I do that every day. I suppose everyone who sells expertise in North America faces a risk greater than that for wrongly claiming to know the answer to a question in their line of business.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:16 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I spoke...

Talking insurance claims - mate of mine fitted a tow bar to his car (a technical amendment). Oversight on his part and didn't register it with the insurance company. Why would he? He got hit from behind - not his fault -took 2 years to settle his claim.
The insurance thing is a myth that won't die. Expect all mention of it to be smacked down to prevent it re-establishing itself as a BE meme.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Sorry I spoke...

You are definitely wrong about the Sony kit. His TV will be fine and most likely his DVD too. Maybe the "Sony boy" needs to go back to Sony school or maybe your Sony TV is ten year old CRT
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said the TV may and Bluray player may be ok if they are dual voltage, but of course the bluray player will only be good for your UK stuff.

The Laptop will be fine with a new cable of adapter.

The PC will be ok. If it has a switch on the back of the power supply you switch it over otherwise you will need to get a new power supply.

It is not hard to change a power supply.

You can of course get a new Bluray player fairly cheeply in Canada
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 11:40 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

We checked all the electricals that we would be taking to Canada, and as PrairieDog has said all the Sony stuff we have(LCD TV, BlueRay, CD, Tuner) are all 220-240v, so will need a transformer for them.

Most computer equipment should be fine as most operate on 100 - 240v.

We are planning on taking everything except the "white goods" and anything that has a motor in it or heats up.

Hope this helps
Old Dec 4th 2011, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

I am reviewing this thread, because like the original poster I want to bring my Sharp LCD TV back when I return at Xmas.. I contacted sharp here in Canada and alos the UK they reckcon it wont work. However looking at this thread I am suspecting they just want you to pay our more money for another one. Just to be on the safe side I think I will try a converter first. The TV is PAL and NSTC. When I programmed initially when I got it. Canada came up as one of the countries. The main thing I want it for is to subscribe to SKY from here anyway.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:13 am
Been here a while ...

dbd33 / delsol79

On reflection, was that totally necessary? Poor manners gentleman.

We would all like to learn more by asking questions and making contributions, without having to dodge dismissive / aggressive comments.

I was merely pointing out that the SONY kit is unlikely to be dual voltage. That was the initial head-scratcher. Some brands include integrated dual-power circuits, SONY kit sourced in UK/Europe do not. I just wish they were dual voltage then there would be no issues (or expense!). My LCDs are 2008; the Trinitron CRT went sometime ago. A very sad day...

Besides I would need 6 convertors (or a sea of cables) to link all my stuff to the 120V mains. Not so bad if they were all in one room.

I agree the kit should work with a convertor ... I never said otherwise.

PLEASE PLEASE tell me if someone's SONY TV out there is labelled up as 220-240V and is working fine with a 120V 60Hz feed (not via a convertor) then tell us all. I'll then consider myself as duly educated and will pass the info onto SONY!

Enough already!

P.S. I think we've buried the 'insurance' myth.

Last edited by prairiedog; Dec 4th 2011 at 6:16 am.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:11 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

fwiw, my 36" sony vega (crt so a bit dated now, but it's a great TV) isn't dual voltage, but it is multi-sync (supports pal and ntsc) - what was the point of that?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

dbd33 / delsol79

On reflection, was that totally necessary? Poor manners gentleman.

We would all like to learn more by asking questions and making contributions, without having to dodge dismissive / aggressive comments.

I was merely pointing out that the SONY kit is unlikely to be dual voltage. That was the initial head-scratcher. Some brands include integrated dual-power circuits, SONY kit sourced in UK/Europe do not. I just wish they were dual voltage then there would be no issues (or expense!). My LCDs are 2008; the Trinitron CRT went sometime ago. A very sad day...

Besides I would need 6 convertors (or a sea of cables) to link all my stuff to the 120V mains. Not so bad if they were all in one room.

I agree the kit should work with a convertor ... I never said otherwise.

PLEASE PLEASE tell me if someone's SONY TV out there is labelled up as 220-240V and is working fine with a 120V 60Hz feed (not via a convertor) then tell us all. I'll then consider myself as duly educated and will pass the info onto SONY!

Enough already!

P.S. I think we've buried the 'insurance' myth.
Hey - I was only messing, no offence meant.

You need to think that a LCD TV is more monitor than TV and as such like most computers will run on either. Not 100% on plasma as they draw more heat. I brought 2 Samsung LCD TVs with me and both say 240V 50Hz on back yet are running just fine. So do not just rely on that.

A CRT is not going to work.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
we brought our TV from the Uk with the intention of using it as a monitor to play PS3 and DVDs on. we bought a 1000 watt power converter and this will allow you to plug in a large tv and dvd and ps3. TV will not work here for regular viewing as the system is different from the uk, but it will still be valuable to use for other things.
hope this helps
stef

UOTE=kennykill;9738442]Folks,

I've thrawlled through several forums and threads and found alot of useful information. However, I'm trying to get a little more specific information on my television.

It's a 46" Sony Bravia HD LCD tv from the UK. I understand that some applicances work in Canada but I'm wondering if anybody has this specific tv and how they went about using it. It wouldn't cost too much to ship over with the rest of my stuff but I'm wondering if it's worth it when I get there given that I might have to buy more bits of kit to get it to work on 110v.

Has anybody been in the same situation? I looked on some shopping sites and I know TV's are relatively cheap in North America but seems a waste to double up. I've also a blu-ray player, desktop computer, laptop, etc all 220v. Is it just possible to by North American cables or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.