UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Wikiposts

UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:09 am
Just Joined

kennykill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Folks,

I've thrawlled through several forums and threads and found alot of useful information. However, I'm trying to get a little more specific information on my television.

It's a 46" Sony Bravia HD LCD tv from the UK. I understand that some applicances work in Canada but I'm wondering if anybody has this specific tv and how they went about using it. It wouldn't cost too much to ship over with the rest of my stuff but I'm wondering if it's worth it when I get there given that I might have to buy more bits of kit to get it to work on 110v.

Has anybody been in the same situation? I looked on some shopping sites and I know TV's are relatively cheap in North America but seems a waste to double up. I've also a blu-ray player, desktop computer, laptop, etc all 220v. Is it just possible to by North American cables or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:10 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Sony Bravia TV in Canada

Originally Posted by kennykill
Folks,

I've thrawlled through several forums and threads and found alot of useful information. However, I'm trying to get a little more specific information on my television.

It's a 46" Sony Bravia HD LCD tv from the UK. I understand that some applicances work in Canada but I'm wondering if anybody has this specific tv and how they went about using it. It wouldn't cost too much to ship over with the rest of my stuff but I'm wondering if it's worth it when I get there given that I might have to buy more bits of kit to get it to work on 110v.

Has anybody been in the same situation? I looked on some shopping sites and I know TV's are relatively cheap in North America but seems a waste to double up. I've also a blu-ray player, desktop computer, laptop, etc all 220v. Is it just possible to by North American cables or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
www.voltageconverters.com
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Tangram!

Seems a little complicated for my simple mind though! What size would I be looking for if I were to run most of my electronics? I presume my electricity bill would be significantly higher than just Canadian appliances?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:20 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kennykill
Thanks for that Tangram!

Seems a little complicated for my simple mind though! What size would I be looking for if I were to run most of my electronics? I presume my electricity bill would be significantly higher than just Canadian appliances?
Add up all the items you are going to run off it ( wattage consumption from the back of the units ) and get one which is slightly more wattage value than your total. Simple really.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

I brought over my UK TV. I have a 1000 watt voltage converter, never had a problem with it!!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Great! That's the kind of thing I like to hear!! How is it on electricity bills, good/bad?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you use for heating, wood, oil, Gas. If you are going to use electric its going to be expensive. Wood is the best option, unless you are going to live in downtown Toronto!!!! I pay around $1200 a year and I am on oil heating.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Not bad at all really.

You wouldn't have any idea on what the UK TV is consuming? For some reason it's in my head that because it's double the power (220 compared to 110) of Canadian appliances it's using double the electricity? Or am I way off the mark!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:33 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by allycat231
Depends on what you use for heating, wood, oil, Gas. If you are going to use electric its going to be expensive. Wood is the best option, unless you are going to live in downtown Toronto!!!! I pay around $1200 a year and I am on oil heating.
What's wood got to do with how much more electricity a voltage converter would consume compared to using a Canadian electrical good ?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Check you manual, or look at the back of the TV you want to see total wattage consumption. Then will need to get a converter that will take slightly more, you wont go wrong with a 1000 watt converter. Dont worry about 110 to 220 all converters step up and down. Cookers and Tumble Dryers in Canada all use 220v
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tangram
What's wood got to do with how much more electricity a voltage converter would consume compared to using a Canadian electrical good ?
Yeah i misread that one, just though it was a question on electric bills all round!!!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by allycat231
Yeah i misread that one, just though it was a question on electric bills all round!!!
No sweat. We all do it.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:32 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There are two issues. Power has been discussed above. The other is signal. North America uses a different TV signal to Europe. NTSC rather than PAL. Many newer TVs will display both but if it doesn't then your UK TV will only be good for playing back UK devices.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 6:34 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There are two issues. Power has been discussed above. The other is signal. North America uses a different TV signal to Europe. NTSC rather than PAL. Many newer TVs will display both but if it doesn't then your UK TV will only be good for playing back UK devices.
The NTSC/PAL thing doesn't really matter any more. I don't use it in my house - it's either HDMI or VGA that goes into my TV.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Hey - you don't need to worry about converters for your TV, just get an American style plug for it or a plug converter. Same for laptop and desktop. The only one I would not be sure of is the blue-ray player but again I think fine, all my DVD players work fine. Just check it says 110~240v on it.

No idea why people are telling you to get converters. All the devices you listed are variable voltage!

Second the NTSC/PAL thing - not been relevant for many years now unless your TV is from the 90s which yours is clearly not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.