Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

UK qualified GP moving to Calgary with young family

UK qualified GP moving to Calgary with young family

Old Sep 21st 2021, 10:52 am
Just Joined

NatsAus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK qualified GP moving to Calgary with young family

Hello, my husband is about to become a qualified UK GP and we have three young daughters. We're thinking of moving out to Calgary for a couple of years and would really appreciate any advice from anyone in a similar position who has already done this. In our eyes, the move would only be advantageous if the working life is better and we'd have more money in our pockets at the end of every month. From what I read, the salary is better but I'm wondering is this eroded by higher living costs? We're aware the winters are cold etc and that doesn't bother us, it's all an adventure. We'd prefer cold and crisp to grey and drizzly which is what it's like in the UK! Thanks to anyway who can share their own experiences!
Old Sep 21st 2021, 11:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK qualified GP moving to Calgary with young family

Originally Posted by NatsAus
Hello, my husband is about to become a qualified UK GP and we have three young daughters. We're thinking of moving out to Calgary for a couple of years and would really appreciate any advice from anyone in a similar position who has already done this. In our eyes, the move would only be advantageous if the working life is better and we'd have more money in our pockets at the end of every month. From what I read, the salary is better but I'm wondering is this eroded by higher living costs? We're aware the winters are cold etc and that doesn't bother us, it's all an adventure. We'd prefer cold and crisp to grey and drizzly which is what it's like in the UK! Thanks to anyway who can share their own experiences!
Hi, welcome to BE.

Not sure it would be worth the hassle and cost for just a couple of years tbh, the cost of moving a family overseas is quite considerable and I'd think any increase in salary would be exceeded by having to pay all of that twice, and he'll have a lot of hoops to jump through to be able to work in Canada.

This thread may be useful reading - Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

HTH, best of luck.
Old Sep 21st 2021, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

NatsAus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK qualified GP moving to Calgary with young family

Thanks for the link! Sorry, should have said, 2 years would be a minimum as we've heard you have to go somewhere for at least 2 years to settle in etc. I imagine we'd stay longer.