Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Uk pensions in Canada

Uk pensions in Canada

Old May 5th 2021, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk pensions in Canada

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I don't have the exact figures to hand, but you need to consider the combined total of all charges. I have found fund management charges (taken implicitly in Canada by adjusted unit prices - vs explicitly in the UK by unit cancellation) much lower on UK funds (varies of course depending on fund type - active vs passive etc).
Yes, you need the total. We have under 10 basis points total on all ETF holdings in Canada (0.1%), including transactional costs (zero to buy, around $5 per sale), product MER (for ETFs) and platform charges (none).

You can certainly find higher charges in Canada, but I couldn’t find any options with low total costs in the UK. The cheapest for us was X-O, which charges 100 GBP annually, 7GBP per transaction and has slightly higher ETF MERs. If you go the mutual fund route, the MER/TER costs escalate fast. They also charge for withdrawals, which Canadian brokerages do not. Last but not least, far less choice in the UK. For example Canadian brokerages provide access to US listed products. UK brokerages do not.

None of it is a good reason to use ROPs though.

Last edited by Mordko; May 5th 2021 at 12:56 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2021, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

expattony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Uk pensions in Canada

does anyone have a good tax advisor who understands the UK and Canadian tax situation?