Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone imported vehicle from Europe to Canada? Very complex import

Anyone imported vehicle from Europe to Canada? Very complex import

Old Jul 20th 2021, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Reubsm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone imported vehicle from Europe to Canada? Very complex import

I have quite a complex situation and wondering if anyone knows the answers for sure.

I have a vehicle in Spain that I would like to import to Canada, a friend recently did the same with his vehicle, they are the same vehicle and both over 15 years old. The complexity starts now, I bought my vehicle in Denmark 4 years ago, I drove it to Spain on export plates but never imported it at the time, so it's been stuck in a state of export ever since. Now that Covid is starting to clear up, I am looking at continuing the export process and sending it to a friend in Canada who wants it.

I have an original bill of sales from Denmark in my name, however I am not a Canadian citizen. Can I import the vehicle into Canada without citizenship or residency? My friend in Canada who wants to buy the vehicle can't get a Danish Bill of sales as it's no longer registered in Denmark. Can I import it into Canada, and then transfer the ownership to him through a private bill of sales, and he can continue the registration process? I'm super confused how to do this.

I bought the vehicle for 10,000 €, however in Canada the value is twice as much, so if I can't import the van on my original bill of sales from the dealer in Denmark, then it sounds like Canada estimates the value, which would likely be more than double, which means double the tax I'd have to pay rather than if I was personally a Canadian citizen using the original bill of sales. Any idea?
Old Jul 20th 2021, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone imported vehicle from Europe to Canada? Very complex import

Originally Posted by Reubsm
I have quite a complex situation and wondering if anyone knows the answers for sure.

I have a vehicle in Spain that I would like to import to Canada, a friend recently did the same with his vehicle, they are the same vehicle and both over 15 years old. The complexity starts now, I bought my vehicle in Denmark 4 years ago, I drove it to Spain on export plates but never imported it at the time, so it's been stuck in a state of export ever since. Now that Covid is starting to clear up, I am looking at continuing the export process and sending it to a friend in Canada who wants it.

I have an original bill of sales from Denmark in my name, however I am not a Canadian citizen. Can I import the vehicle into Canada without citizenship or residency? My friend in Canada who wants to buy the vehicle can't get a Danish Bill of sales as it's no longer registered in Denmark. Can I import it into Canada, and then transfer the ownership to him through a private bill of sales, and he can continue the registration process? I'm super confused how to do this.

I bought the vehicle for 10,000 €, however in Canada the value is twice as much, so if I can't import the van on my original bill of sales from the dealer in Denmark, then it sounds like Canada estimates the value, which would likely be more than double, which means double the tax I'd have to pay rather than if I was personally a Canadian citizen using the original bill of sales. Any idea?
The only man I can think of who might be able to help you is Mr. Will Zaraska in Toronto
Old Jul 20th 2021, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone imported vehicle from Europe to Canada? Very complex import

Here is the official CBSA Memorandum that deals with importation of vehicles

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat...-1-eng.htmlFor additional information on importing vehicles or further clarification on content found in the memorandum, contact:

Transport Canada
Motor Vehicle Safety Directorate
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0N5

Telephone: 1-800-333-0371 (toll-free in Canada and the United States) or 613-998-8616
Fax: 613-998-8541
Email: [email protected]